POP Beauty Plump Pout (discussion)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote: Originally Posted by BridgetPS /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm officially freaking out. I'm just now finding all this out!! What exactly is going on with the gloss? Who do I contact for a replacement? I tried to read this entire thread but I'm legally blind and can't read it all. Thanks
contact ipsycare! then contact POP beauty. I don't have the email addresses. Does anyone have the email addresses to share? 

Quote: Originally Posted by JC327 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Quote: Originally Posted by With2Ls /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Just posting my interaction with Ipsy, per Zadidoll's request.  I have removed any info that is personal or identifying.  Sorry this is so late in coming!

[SIZE=9.5pt]MAR 07, 2014  |  11:46AM PST [/SIZE]
Original message
XXXX wrote:

Hello,

I cancelled my subscription a few days ago and gave the reason as primarily (xxxx) chose this one to cancel because I was concerned about the quality of a particular brand product you seem to send often. From what I can tell, I will be far from the first person to notify you of this issue. My Pop Beauty lip gloss smelled horribly of chemicals, and (xxxx), I was afraid to even put it on. I realize this was most likely an issue that you were unaware of before the bags went out. What has really disappointed me is not that there was an issue with the product, but the way in which the issue has been handled. I would have expected Ipsy to be more proactive in solving the issue. I did not email your customer service about the issue myself, as I saw multiple posts in forums and blogs on the internet that people had contacted Ipsy and were basically told there was no problem. It would have been good customer service to issue replacement items, even though I'm sure that would be a large undertaking with all bags containing the gloss. Your company could have at least sent an apology email, or an email asking if the specific customer had an issue, or an announcement that an extra item would be included in the following month because of the lip gloss problem.

I'm sure you are already well aware of this, but the quality of customer service means A LOT to a subscriber.

I know as just a single customer I'm not going to make any difference to your bottom line, but chances are that if this is the way I feel, there may be many more out there that feel the same way even if they don't tell you about it.

[SIZE=9.5pt]MAR 09, 2014  |  11:21AM PDT[/SIZE]

XXXX replied:

Hi XXXX,

Thank you for contacting ipsyCare! I'm sorry to hear that you were misinformed about the POP situation. That is not the way that we handled this issue. Users are always encouraged to contact ipsyCare if there is ever an issue with one of our products. We did not issue a large announcement as this was a situation that needed to be resolved in a case by case basis. While the majority of users reported a foul smelling product, there were still many who reported that their product contained the vanilla scent that was intended.

As a result of a manufacturing mistake, the flavor/fragrance normally included in the gloss was accidentally left out of some batches. While the smell was off, we have assurance from POP that the product is safe. We're sincerely sorry that your first experience with this product was poor.

I've sent a bonus item out to your address as an extra thank you for sharing this with us. We rely on our community to keep us informed. I'd also encourage you to reach out to POP Beauty customer service regarding your experience with this gloss.

Both ipsy and POP are committed to providing only the best for our customers, and we’ll be working hard to avoid such mistakes in the future.

Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns -- I'd be happy to help.

Best regards,

XXXX

PS. For more information about ipsy and our Glam Bags, check our our FAQ: http://help.ipsy.com/

[SIZE=9.5pt]MAR 09, 2014  |  12:58PM PDT[/SIZE]

XXXX replied:

Hello,

Thank you for your quick response,  it is greatly appreciated. 

I realize this issue is not your company's fault and has probably turned into a customer service nightmare.  I also realize you can only go by what Pop Beauty has told you.  However, I must respectfully say that I believe their explanation is incorrect and untruthful.  I don't know if you have had a chance to smell (or use) one of the glosses in question, but the foul odor is extremely strong.  I don't think there is any flavoring ingredient that could change or cover that smell to where it smells like vanilla.  I'm not saying Pop is purposely being untruthful, as they may be taking the word of the manufacturer,  and the manufacturer may not even be fully aware of what went wrong.  Unless testing is done I don't see how they can give a definitive answer, and if they have done testing they have not made their customers aware of it.

I appreciate you sending an item to replace the gloss - just please don't send me another Plump Pout gloss!

I did send Pop an email right before I sent one to you, and if you are interested in their response I will let you know when I hear from them.

XXXX

[SIZE=9.5pt]MAR 09, 2014  |  01:16PM PDT[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]XXXX[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] replied:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Hi XXXX, [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Thanks again for sharing your thoughts. I received a POP gloss myself this month and while my sample did not smell like vanilla, the smell did not render it useless. That is just my opinion, and just my perspective based on my sample. We're sorry to hear that you're disappointed and because of that we wouldn't send you the same product that you were initially dissatisfied with-- please accept our sincerest apologies. We've learned a valuable lesson this month, and we'll definitely use this experience to improve going forward.

Best regards,
XXXX[/SIZE]
Just out of curiosity, if you were offered a replacement item, did they send you tracking information?  I haven't seen anything yet.  Of course, I wouldn't really blame them if they don't send me a replacement after all since I cancelled my sub.

I wrote to both POP and Ipsy. POP didn't offer a full size gloss but Ipsy said to request one from them. I emailed POP with what Ipsy said and then they sent a one line email asking for what shade I wanted and my mailing address. Ipsy said they would send me another item but I have not heard back from them on one of my accounts. On one account I was told I would be getting a lipstick in the shade Pixie but no tracking from either account. I wonder if I should write back to them since this was all on Friday. Also POP didn't respond after I sent them my mailing address. I am very disappointed in the way both companies are handling the issue specially with something so serious.

Pixie is probably the Mirabella Lip Sheers from May 2013 bag.

https://mirabellabeauty.com/colour-sheers.html

i have a tracking number that doesnt work had it for 5 days now
I've had my tracking info for quite some time and nothing is showing up for me either. I get an error screen on the DHL site saying that some packages may not have updated tracking, blah, blah, blah...

M

Dear MUT Ladies & Zadi, I want to be clear with what happened regarding my gloss. My experience may or may not reflect the same experience by others who are posting in this thread. I am in a swap group for sub boxes. Naturally people from different regions of the US are members and they receive their subs at different times.  I noticed a thread about the glosses smelling bad, in fact "reeks" is the term that was being used.  I was aware that many people were having issues before I got my bag with the gloss.  I unwrapped the shrink-wrapped gloss handle. I do not recall if the label had any writing on it. Many ladies had said the product smell that was first noticed was that the packaging itself was the problem. The first thing I noticed was that the black top of the gloss/handle of the wand smelled HORRIBLE. First whiff I got was that of a skunk smell. If you have ever had the misfortune to smell a skunk's spray, this was most definitely a ringer for that odor. I reeled back and then decided I would not open the gloss. It was that strong and offensive of an odor.  About a week later I tested the scent of the packaging again. I noticed that the distinct skunk spray odor was gone and replaced by a strong petrochemical smell of burned rubber. The scent was not overwhelming in strength, but distinct and off putting. At this point I attempted to open the gloss in order to smell the product. The product smelled lovely-- like vanilla, but a bit sweeter, more like a vanilla confection. The cap continues to have the burned rubber scent. I am wondering if the ingredients were NOT the issue at all that caused the stench, but rather that chemicals in the black, rubbery top leeched into the product?  Did anyone else have this experience? Please let me know if this happened to you. Zadi needs to understand all the issues anyone has had in order to present this case to the FDA.  Thank you! 
My experience is similar to yours. The packaging smelled awful, but the actual gloss smelled ok. Not like the sweet vanilla scent it's supposed to smell like, but a somewhat artificial I-guess-you-could-call-it-vanilla kind of scent. I haven't opened it and done a smell check to make sure it hasn't spoiled (like has been the case for others) in more than a week or so. However, no matter the smell, I don't feel comfortable continuing to use the product. I'm wondering if I should bother contacting ipsycare. I know I was one of the lucky few who didn't get a terrible smelling gloss, but in light of everything I've read on this thread, I'm just not convinced it's safe to use.

Oh god. Mine was fine... the cap stunk, but not the gloss itself. Opened it again today. HORRIBLE. Like it died. Burnt chemical rubber ish.

Dunno if to contact Pop/Ipsy over this, since it "went bad", not was bad from the start.

Oh god. Mine was fine... the cap stunk, but not the gloss itself. Opened it again today. HORRIBLE. Like it died. Burnt chemical rubber ish. Dunno if to contact Pop/Ipsy over this, since it "went bad", not was bad from the start.
Mine decided to skunk out on me after a week or so. I contacted pop and ipsy about it.

Quote: Originally Posted by jessicamazing /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My experience is similar to yours. The packaging smelled awful, but the actual gloss smelled ok. Not like the sweet vanilla scent it's supposed to smell like, but a somewhat artificial I-guess-you-could-call-it-vanilla kind of scent. I haven't opened it and done a smell check to make sure it hasn't spoiled (like has been the case for others) in more than a week or so. However, no matter the smell, I don't feel comfortable continuing to use the product. I'm wondering if I should bother contacting ipsycare. I know I was one of the lucky few who didn't get a terrible smelling gloss, but in light of everything I've read on this thread, I'm just not convinced it's safe to use.

You should contact them to let them know you're not comfortable in using it. Even if they don't offer you a replacement or you don't ask for a replacement as the very least give them your opinion.

Quote: Originally Posted by mindcaviar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I unwrapped the shrink-wrapped gloss handle. I do not recall if the label had any writing on it. Many ladies had said the product smell that was first noticed was that the packaging itself was the problem. The first thing I noticed was that the black top of the gloss/handle of the wand smelled HORRIBLE. First whiff I got was that of a skunk smell. If you have ever had the misfortune to smell a skunk's spray, this was most definitely a ringer for that odor. I reeled back and then decided I would not open the gloss. It was that strong and offensive of an odor. 

About a week later I tested the scent of the packaging again. I noticed that the distinct skunk spray odor was gone and replaced by a strong petrochemical smell of burned rubber. The scent was not overwhelming in strength, but distinct and off putting. At this point I attempted to open the gloss in order to smell the product. The product smelled lovely-- like vanilla, but a bit sweeter, more like a vanilla confection. The cap continues to have the burned rubber scent.

I am wondering if the ingredients were NOT the issue at all that caused the stench, but rather that chemicals in the black, rubbery top leeched into the product?

On mine, the gloss definitely smelled bad--before opening it, the handle and the container didn't smell like anything.

What worries me is that the plastic in the packaging is not safe and chemicals from the plastic were leaching into the gloss. I work in a lab with many many many chemicals and the pop glosses that I got (I got one and a replacement) smells kind of like stuff that we have to keep in special containers because they're dangerous.

There is NO way that a missing flavoring is the problem here. Maybe that's what the manufacturing plant said, but my guess is that they're lying to cover their asses.

Quote: Originally Posted by BelleSade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Oh god. Mine was fine... the cap stunk, but not the gloss itself. Opened it again today. HORRIBLE. Like it died. Burnt chemical rubber ish.

Dunno if to contact Pop/Ipsy over this, since it "went bad", not was bad from the start.

I don't think it would hurt to send both Ipsy and Pop an e-mail. Mine also went from smelling fine to smelling terrible in a short amount of time, which doesn't jive with their "flavoring left out" excuse. In that case, it would have stunk from day 1. I think the manufacturer is trying to cover their *** with the most benign explanation they could dream up, but it doesn't match the reports of lip glosses first smelling fine and then going off a week or two later.

Quote: Originally Posted by roskandy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

On mine, the gloss definitely smelled bad--before opening it, the handle and the container didn't smell like anything.

What worries me is that the plastic in the packaging is not safe and chemicals from the plastic were leaching into the gloss. I work in a lab with many many many chemicals and the pop glosses that I got (I got one and a replacement) smells kind of like stuff that we have to keep in special containers because they're dangerous.

There is NO way that a missing flavoring is the problem here. Maybe that's what the manufacturing plant said, but my guess is that they're lying to cover their asses.

Would it possible for you to checks yours at the lab with a chemical analysis?

Quote: Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Unfortunately, I don't work in a lab where we have access to things that can check the chemical breakdown. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Quote: Originally Posted by roskandy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Unfortunately, I don't work in a lab where we have access to things that can check the chemical breakdown. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Well, it couldn't hurt to ask.

And...

If its anything close to the pharma side, the manufacturer is required to have "retains".  These are retained samples from each lot that are under specific storage conditions (corresponding to those on the label) up until the expiry.  In my business, you must monitor those samples for things like degregation and you should be able to pull those samples for testing if need be.  Now you dont want to pull them for a "one off" situation, however with the number of complaints that they have received, this should have sparked an investigation.

I just e-mailed a testing company for a price quote to see how much it would cost to get to the bottom of this mystery with 3rd party testing. I will keep you updated if I hear back. While I realize this is a cheap lip gloss, it would be worth some amount of money to me to learn what the actual problem was, and to blow this up online if the products are indeed unsafe to use.

I posted this on Inside Edition's facebook wall and someone - who works as a Victim's Advocate at a State Attorney General's office has been asking me questions all day. Anyone who has had a negative experience with the product should post on that wall post and include photos.

Just an FYI, I experimented with my stinky gloss, and added 2 drops of peppermint extract to it.  Smells good now, and has some plumping action.  Wiped it off immediately, nonetheless. Did it about a week ago, and it still smells fine.

I posted this on Inside Edition's facebook wall and someone - who works as a Victim's Advocate at a State Attorney General's office has been asking me questions all day. Anyone who has had a negative experience with the product should post on that wall post and include photos.

Ooh! Ask them if they would be willing to foot the bill for lab testing, tell them it would make a great investigative report.

Back