POP Beauty Plump Pout (discussion)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote: Originally Posted by springerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Well I received an email back from Pop Beauty

profile_mask2.png

POP Info [email protected]

cleardot.gif
2:41 PM (0 minutes ago)
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to me
cleardot.gif

Dear Lisa,

We appreciate you taking the time to inform us of your experience with the POP Beauty Plump Pout in the IPSY bag. We are sincerely sorry that you have received a gloss that you feel was unsatisfactory.

Ever since POP Beauty started, our passion has always been to create the best products. With the recent POP Beauty Plump Pout in the IPSY bag, there was a flavouring issue with a small batch and we are devastated by this. We want to assure you that the product is safe for use and that most Plump Pouts delivered in this month’s glam bags taste like their regular delicious selves.

Please accept our sincerest apology and we hope that you  can forgive us for this oversight. We will be doing everything to make sure this never happens again.

Yours Sincerely,

POP Beauty

Facebook

Twitter

YouTube

Sara’s Sonnet
www.popbeautycosmetics.com

Sent: Friday, March 7, 2014 6:24 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: 2
Importance: High
I received a mini version of your plump pout lip gloss in my Ipsy GlamBag in Feb. I was one of the many that received the AWFUL smelling product. To me, it smells like burnt rubber. Obviously, there was something wrong with it because lip gloss that smells THAT BAD would never sell with all the competition out there. Now on social media I have also seen people reporting chemical burns from this product. I would suggest recalling this product.

So as of now they are still sticking to their story that everythings a-okay.  Just some missing flavoring but, it's safe to use.  Flavoring my a$$.  They didn't even offer to send me a full size one.

*edited to remove my email

So I really wasn't happy with their reply so I sent them another email.  Like I said in another post, I don't care if they send me anything,  I'm upset that they are still sticking to the "it's safe just a flavoring issue"  BS.  Here's my reply.

With all due respect, the item may still be safe for use but, why on Earth would I want to put something on my lips that smells and tastes like burnt rubber.  To me this is a defective product and mine is not the only one.  Usually when a company is faced with a defective product they issue a recall.  I feel that both you and Ipsy should have let consumers know immediately when you found out there was a problem and offered some sort of explanation.  Even if it was a small batch.  At this time I am very wary of your cosmetics and not sure if I will ever purchase them.  Also, that must be some pretty powerful flavoring to cover up that smell and taste.  I have a very hard time believing that was the only issue.

I sent ipsy an email a week ago, thanking them for the replacement, and I addressed the concerns we've talked about on here. Their response: MAR 06, 2014  |  09:29AM PST Angelica replied: Hi Tiffany, Thank you so much for sharing. We’re definitely not mad at you or any of our other subscribers who have recently raised this issue -- hearing about it was very helpful for us. As a result of a manufacturing mistake, the flavor/fragrance normally included in the gloss was accidentally left out of some batches. While the smell was off, we have assurance from POP that there are no problems with the efficacy of the product besides the smell. That said, we agree that it was unpleasant -- which is why we're more than happy to issue replacements and give everyone a second chance to experience the product in a much better way. In regard to the ingredient difference, we weren't initially sure why there was a difference, so we did some investigating with POP to learn more. We learned that they’ve recently changed the formula of the product (along with where it’s manufactured). The sample sizes we received were the new formula, and the full sized replacements that POP recently sent out were from the last batch under the previous formula. While it has some different ingredients, the new formula has been approved by the brand to deliver the same results, and from the brand's perspective, it will be of equal quality (with the exception, of course, of the mistake on some batches with the flavoring). They’ve been working with this manufacturer for 15 years for other products in their line and have a very trusting relationship with them (again, with the exception of the recent mistake). We are so sorry that you and a number of our ipsters had a bad experience. Both ipsy and POP are committed to providing only the best for our customers, and we’ll be working hard to avoid such mistakes in the future. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Sincerely, Angelica

Quote: Originally Posted by twotonetiff /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I sent ipsy an email a week ago, thanking them for the replacement, and I addressed the concerns we've talked about on here.

Their response:

MAR 06, 2014  |  09:29AM PST
Angelica replied:
Hi Tiffany,

Thank you so much for sharing. We’re definitely not mad at you or any of our other subscribers who have recently raised this issue -- hearing about it was very helpful for us.

As a result of a manufacturing mistake, the flavor/fragrance normally included in the gloss was accidentally left out of some batches. While the smell was off, we have assurance from POP that there are no problems with the efficacy of the product besides the smell. That said, we agree that it was unpleasant -- which is why we're more than happy to issue replacements and give everyone a second chance to experience the product in a much better way.

In regard to the ingredient difference, we weren't initially sure why there was a difference, so we did some investigating with POP to learn more.

We learned that they’ve recently changed the formula of the product (along with where it’s manufactured). The sample sizes we received were the new formula, and the full sized replacements that POP recently sent out were from the last batch under the previous formula.

While it has some different ingredients, the new formula has been approved by the brand to deliver the same results, and from the brand's perspective, it will be of equal quality (with the exception, of course, of the mistake on some batches with the flavoring). They’ve been working with this manufacturer for 15 years for other products in their line and have a very trusting relationship with them (again, with the exception of the recent mistake).

We are so sorry that you and a number of our ipsters had a bad experience. Both ipsy and POP are committed to providing only the best for our customers, and we’ll be working hard to avoid such mistakes in the future.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Sincerely,
Angelica

Let me tear that letter apart...

As a result of a manufacturing mistake, the flavor/fragrance normally included in the gloss was accidentally left out of some batches. While the smell was off, we have assurance from POP that there are no problems with the efficacy of the product besides the smell. That said, we agree that it was unpleasant -- which is why we're more than happy to issue replacements and give everyone a second chance to experience the product in a much better way.
Again, they acknowledge a manufacturing issue which under FDA regulations could warrant a voluntary recall of the item. Per the FDA site:

http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/HowToReport/ucm053091.htm Product problems should be reported to the FDA when there is a concern about the quality, authenticity, performance, or safety of any medication or device. Problems with product quality may occur during manufacturing, shipping, or storage. They include:

• suspect counterfeit product;
  • product contamination;
  • defective components;
  • poor packaging or product mix-up;
  • questionable stability;
  • device malfunctions; and
  • labeling concerns.

With drugs, a pharmacist is often the first to recognize a product quality problem. Nurses are often the first to recognize a problem with a medical device. Report these suspicions to FDA through MedWatch.

Examples
  • A physician reported to her hospital pharmacist that she suspected the epoetin alfa administered to a patient might be counterfeit due to unusual local reaction to the injection. The pharmacist, after inspecting the vial, label, and packaging, noted differences in the quality of the packaging between the suspect sample and other lots. A MedWatch report was submitted to FDA. Subsequent investigations determined that the product was counterfeit and contaminated with bacteria.
  • A customer returned to the pharmacy after purchasing a bottle of a liquid antacid and complained about the foul odor coming from the product when it was opened. The pharmacist took note of the terrible odor and also observed that the plastic bottle container was distended. The customer was given a similar product to replace this antacid. Next, the pharmacist checked the storeroom stock and checked the lot numbers of the affected product. Then the FDA was contacted to relay this drug product quality concern and to provide the necessary facts to investigate this production lot.
  • While stocking a box of 15 cc bottles of Syrup of Ipecac, a pharmacy technician noticed that one translucent bottle labeled as Syrup of Ipecac had a much brighter color than the rest. FDA was immediately contacted through its voluntary reporting program. Within one day an investigation was underway. It was discovered that the translucent product was not Syrup of Ipecac but another agent, that while not toxic would not produce the desired effect of Syrup of Ipecac if used to treat a case of poisoning. The investigation of this labeling mix-up resulted in the product being recalled.
  • A pharmacist observed that a 5cc unit bottle of diphenhydramine syrup made a rattling noise when shaken. After removing the seal, it became obvious that the noise was caused by loose glass fragments floating in the syrup. Recognizing the life-threatening nature of this product if swallowed, FDA was contacted. An FDA investigator picked up the samples and initiated an investigation at the manufacturer. The results revealed a problem with the production of glass bottles. This report resulted in a nationwide recall of the product.
  • A nurse noted a frayed cable leading to the pendant (hand control) of a hospital bed. An investigation showed that the wiring was faulty and had a tendency to fray at its point of entry into the pendant housing. This presented a potential electric shock and/or fire hazard. A recommendation for recall affected 33,155 pendants in distribution.

We learned that they’ve recently changed the formula of the product (along with where it’s manufactured). The sample sizes we received were the new formula, and the full sized replacements that POP recently sent out were from the last batch under the previous formula. Which POP Beauty never announced on their site that their product will be or was undergoing a revamp of the ingredients. I do have my own suspicions on why the ingredients changed - that is the manufacturer in the US are the proprietary owners of that "recipe" and as such when POP went with the Taiwan manufacturer they had to use a different "recipe" this is why the ingredients are radically different. Why POP Beauty simply didn't say something to the effect that the Plump Pout was "new and improved" I don't know. Either way, what is sold at ULTA and at POP Beauty are NOT the same as the minis and as such are a completely different product. It's bad form on POP's part because if a person liked the minis, had there not been an issue with manufacturing, and went to buy the full size only to find out it was different... well that's misleading in my opinion.

While it has some different ingredients, the new formula has been approved by the brand to deliver the same results, and from the brand's perspective, it will be of equal quality (with the exception, of course, of the mistake on some batches with the flavoring). They’ve been working with this manufacturer for 15 years for other products in their line and have a very trusting relationship with them (again, with the exception of the recent mistake). I don't believe that the new formula is "improved" from the old ones. Granted that's not what Ipsy said but that's the implication they're making. If you look at the ingredients from the so-called "old" full size glosses to the new ones, the new ones are missing numerous ingredients that the so-called "old" formula has that the "new" formula doesn't. The so-called "old" formula has avocado oil, vitamin e oil, almond oil, lavender butter, jojoba seed oil, mango butter and aloe vera extract... the so-called "new" one is missing all those items except the jojoba seed oil and replaced it with merely Sambucus Nigra Fruit Extract (Elderberry).

Full size Mini Hydrogenated Polyisobutene (and) Ethylene / Propylene / Styrene Copolymer (and) Butylene / Ethylene / Styrene Copolymer Mineral Oil Mineral Oil Polyisobutylene Polybutene Beeswax Beeswax Diisostearyl Malate Copernica Cerifera (Carnouba) Wax Silica Pentaerythrityl Tetraisostearate (and) Caprylic / Capric Triglyceride (and) Stearalkonium Hectorite (and) Palmitoyl Hexapeptide-12 Ethyl Hexyl Palmitate Ethylhexyl Palmitate / Tribehenin Sorbitan Isostearate / Palmitoyl Oligopeptide Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride Benzyl Nicotinate Ethylhexyl Palmitate Persea Gratissima (Avocado Oil) Silica Dimethyl Silylate Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin-E) Butylene Glycol Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Almond) Oil Hexylene Glycol Lavandula Angustifolia Extract / Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil (Lavender Butter) Phenoxyetharol Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba Seed) Oil Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil Mangifera Indica Seed Butter (Mango Butter) Tocopheryl Acetate Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract Sambucus Nigra Fruit Extract Fragrance.  Fragrance [+/- Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891) [+/- Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499) Iron Oxides (CI 77491CI 77492CI 77499) Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891) Red 7 Lake (CI 15850) Yellow 5 Lake (CI 19140) Yellow 5 Lake (CI 19140) Red 6 Lake (CI 158502) Red 33 Lake (CI 17200)].  Made in Taiwan. Designed in the USA Made in the USA.  
POP Beauty needs to stick with their US manufacturer since the Taiwan one royally screwed up and the formulation for it is totally different.

ipsy said they were sending me a replacement mini as well as a mirabella pixie lipstick (judging from this thread, it's possible that's not what I'll receive)

and I got the tracking info days ago but all that shows up when I look it up on DHL is:

So that's really disconcerting. 

Give it another day or so... DHL tracking is notorious for not updating frequently.

Quote: Originally Posted by chaosintoart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  ipsy said they were sending me a replacement mini as well as a mirabella pixie lipstick (judging from this thread, it's possible that's not what I'll receive)

and I got the tracking info days ago but all that shows up when I look it up on DHL is:

Yep mine says the same thing.

I received the exact same email. What kills me is, SAY its 100% safe! why would ANYONE wanna wear something right underneath their nose that smelled like burnt plastic?!?! They know it was their fault yet they aren't telling anyone about it. We appreciate you taking the time to inform us of your experience with the POP Beauty Plump Pout in the IPSY bag. We are sincerely sorry that you have received a gloss that you feel was unsatisfactory. Ever since POP Beauty started, our passion has always been to create the best products. With the recent POP Beauty Plump Pout in the IPSY bag, there was a flavouring issue with a small batch and we are devastated by this. We want to assure you that the product is safe for use and that most Plump Pouts delivered in this month's glam bags taste like their regular delicious selves. Please accept our sincerest apology and we hope that you can forgive us for this oversight. We will be doing everything to make sure this never happens again. Description: pop shakeup your makeup logo in black-for email Facebook Twitter www.popbeautycosmetics.com

Did you guys see their "official" statement on Facebook a few hours ago?  I wonder if they are lying about the FDA approved and 100% to use part...

-------------------------------------------------

Dear Ipsters,

Unfortunately some of you received a POP Plump Pout Mini with an “off†taste or smell as part of the IPSY send-out in February. We want to address this issue and explain exactly what we have been doing about it.

First and foremost we want to assure you that all of the ingredients used in the Plump Pout Mini, which are listed on the shrink wrap on the product packaging, are FDA approved and 100% safe for use.

The reason for the disparity between the ingredients listed on the product packaging and the website is that the full size version of the Plump Pout Mini is manufactured in the USA, while the Mini is manufactured in Taiwan. We recently reformulated the product, and our factory in Taiwan used the new formula to make the Mini.

We apologise if you have had a negative experience with this gloss. We have never encountered a problem of this nature with our products, and we assure you that we are taking this very seriously. If you feel that you have received a defective Plump Pout Mini, please do not hesitate to e-mail POP’s customer service at the e-mail address below. We guarantee that every e-mail will
receive a response.

Yours sincerely,
POP beauty

[email protected]

Quote: Originally Posted by chaosintoart /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Mine as well so I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with this message!

Thought I would go ahead and share myself....

From March 6 from Ipsy....

Hi Misty,

I'm so sorry about this!

As a result of a manufacturing mistake, the flavor/fragrance normally included in the gloss was accidentally left out of some batches. While the smell was off, we have assurance from POP that the product is safe. We're sincerely sorry that your first experience with this product was poor.

I've sent a bonus item out to your address as an extra thank you for sharing this with us. We rely on our community to keep us informed. For a better-smelling replacement of your POP lip gloss, please contact POP customer service directly and they'll send you a full-sized version!

Both ipsy and POP are committed to providing only the best for our customers, and we’ll be working hard to avoid such mistakes in the future.

Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns -- I'd be happy to help.

Best regards, Denise   And from PopBeauty...I never mentioned Ipsy in my email in anyway   On March 7.....   Dear Misty,

We appreciate you taking the time to inform us of your experience with the POP Beauty Plump Pout in the IPSY bag. We are sincerely sorry that you have received a gloss that you feel was unsatisfactory.

Ever since POP Beauty started, our passion has always been to create the best products. With the recent POP Beauty Plump Pout in the IPSY bag, there was a flavouring issue with a small batch and we are devastated by this. We want to assure you that the product is safe for use and that most Plump Pouts delivered in this month’s glam bags taste like their regular delicious selves.

Please accept our sincerest apology and we hope that you  can forgive us for this oversight. We will be doing everything to make sure this never happens again.

Yours Sincerely,

POP Beauty

I told this wasn't an acceptable response and got this response....

DearMisty,

Weappreciate you taking the time to inform us of your experience with the POP BeautyPlump Pout in the IPSY bag. We are sincerely sorry that you have received agloss that you feel was unsatisfactory.

Eversince POP Beauty started, our passion has always been to create the bestproducts. With the recent POP Beauty Plump Pout in the IPSY bag, there was aflavouring issue with a small batch and we are devastated by this. We want toassure you that the product is safe for use and that most Plump Pouts deliveredin this month’s glam bags taste like their regular delicious selves.

Pleaseaccept our sincerest apology and we hope that you can forgive us for thisoversight. We will be doing everything to make sure this never happens again.

Please send me your mailing address and the colourdesired.

Best,

Hi all. I've been lurking but al received a nasty lippie. I email pop and their first email asked for my address and color. I wonder why some emails ask for that info and some don't.

Mind posting the email?
Sure, I'll do it as soon as I'm at an actual computer - I have never been able to figure out how to copy and paste from my phone. Btw, just read Pop's "statement" on their FB wall - more of the same nonsense.

Did you guys see their "official" statement on Facebook a few hours ago?  I wonder if they are lying about the FDA approved and 100% to use part... ------------------------------------------------- Dear Ipsters, Unfortunately some of you received a POP Plump Pout Mini with an “off†taste or smell as part of the IPSY send-out in February. We want to address this issue and explain exactly what we have been doing about it. First and foremost we want to assure you that all of the ingredients used in the Plump Pout Mini, which are listed on the shrink wrap on the product packaging, are FDA approved and 100% safe for use.
I'm sure that the ingredients in the formula and.listed on the package are FDA-approved. That doesn't mean that the specific ingredients used in making these specific batches weren't contaminated or counterfeit. It doesn't mean that the equipment used to make them was in proper condition. It doesn't mean that there weren't issues in manufacturing or packaging or shipping that caused the batch to go bad. Without keeping a close eye on the manufacturing process, or routinely having independent checks done, it's hard to see how POP and other companies maintain the quality of their products. I wonder if these were drop-shipped to Ipsy, because it's hard to believe no one at POP noticed the problem, if it was simply the absence of flavoring. Wouldn't an easy check have revealed the issue? It amazes me that no one noticed the issue until you guys got them.

^boom roasted! Good points! I hope they don't delete your comment!! 💋ðŸ‘â˜ðŸ‘👋

Wow, as my uncle would say, these guys are achin' for a shakin'. "FDA-approved?" FDA approval is contingent on products being labeled with the ingredients that are actually present in the product. If you add or remove an ingredient, your FDA approval just went out the window. I really hope that Pop and Ipsy hiding behind the FDA's skirts piques the interest of the FDA. Honestly, I'm a bit disappointed that the FDA hasn't brought the hammer down on all of this yet.

My first gloss has definitely skunked, despite smelling fine when I received it, so the "flavoring" story must only be the partial truth at best. I sent e-mails to both Pop and Ipsy on the 5th. I received the:

Quote: "We inspect all our products and always test them out ourselves here in the ipsy office. We didn’t notice that the POP lip gloss smelled unusual, and that’s definitely not the type of experience we wanted you to have!"

canned response from Ipsy on the 6th stating they had issued a replacement item (not that I asked for or wanted one), but not a peep from Pop.

While I understand that Ipsy doesn't want to throw one of it's favorite partners under the bus, I'd be pretty incensed if I were Ipsy right now, especially if they pulled a bait-and-switch and had Ipsy test drive the full-size pre-reformulation products and then sent samples of a different formulation.

I'm looking at my Pop Aqua Lacquer that I received last year in my November Birchbox, and it's made in Taiwan with an ingredients list very similar to the reformulated Plump Pouts. I suspect it's made by the same company using a similar recipe.

Aqua Lacquer Full size (Flowering Fuchsia) Plump Pout Mini Mineral Oil Mineral Oil Polyisobutylene Polyisobutylene Beeswax Beeswax Diisostearyl Malate Diisostearyl Malate Silica Silica Ethyl Hexyl Palmitate Ethyl Hexyl Palmitate   Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride   Ethylhexyl Palmitate   Silica Dimethyl Silylate   Butylene Glycol   Hexylene Glycol   Phenoxyetharol Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba Seed) Oil Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil Tocopheryl Acetate Tocopheryl Acetate Propylparaben Sambucus Nigra Fruit Extract Fragrance.  Fragrance [+/- Iron Oxides (CI 77491 CI 77499 CI 77492)
[+/- Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499) Yellow No. 6, Yellow No. 5, Red No. 6, Red No. 7, Red No. 30, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Mica Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891)   Yellow 5 Lake (CI 19140)   Red 6 Lake (CI 158502) Made in Taiwan. Designed in the USA Made in Taiwan. Designed in the USA    
(P.S. I stole your chart. It has Ethylhexyl palmitate listed 2x in the ingredients, didn't know if this was on the label or a typo in the chart.)

Quote: Originally Posted by panicked /img/forum/go_quote.gif
(P.S. I stole your chart. It has Ethylhexyl palmitate listed 2x in the ingredients, didn't know if this was on the label or a typo in the chart.)

Which makes me wonder if that label is even accurate at all.

It was brought to my attention that POP Beauty has shut down the ability for people to post on their wall.

Back