POP Beauty Plump Pout (discussion)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didnt personally have any issue with the product. I didn't have the weird gasoline smell or the irritation. However, it would piss me off if it was not tested beforehand and standards were not followed even if I didn't get damaged by this product. Kudos for you guys taking action. 

I didnt personally have any issue with the product. I didn't have the weird gasoline smell or the irritation. However, it would piss me off if it was not tested beforehand and standards were not followed even if I didn't get damaged by this product. Kudos for you guys taking action. 
It sounds like you are in the minority of people that got a good gloss!

This may sound like a silly question - but besides reporting to the FDA, if some of us aren't getting a satisfactory response from Pop Beauty and/or Ipsy, should we be contacting the Better Business Bureau?

Man, I feel like what did I start lol, after I put two and two together and noticed the Ingredients were different, but I did fill out the FDA form. I just want to know the line of all this. Is there anyway of telling when we might find more info, will they do testing, and if so when and can we find out the results?

BBB can't do anything to POP Beauty. It could ruin their reputation though. The Federal Trade Commission and the California State Attorney General's Office (if you're in the US you're own state's ATG) on the other hand could get involved if enough reports are filed.

On another note... my Ipsy contact replied to the email I sent earlier today (March 8).

Here's the email I sent: I dislike that POP Beauty is attempting to sweep the matter under the rug. What Ipsy AND POP Beauty should be doing is issuing a statement that there was a manufacturing issue which resulted in the products having an acrid smell and that at this time there is no way to know for sure if there were no any other manufacturing issues. Until the products can be chemically tested and analyzed the products should be discontinued until the items are proven safe. It concerns me that there are reports – which POP Beauty removed from their wall – of people getting chemical burns. Even if it’s an allergic reaction SOMETHING in the product is not right and I firmly believe that a flavoring ingredient would not cause an acrid smell. Any number of things went wrong with the manufacturing of the minis – in both colors – but POP Beauty cannot guarantee that the products are safe until they have had the products tested by an independent lab such as SGS. Please encourage them to get this done and please make a public announcement telling people to discontinue using the item at this time.

If it turns out the products are indeed not safe yet Ipsy has continued to tell people it is wouldn’t Ipsy be held liable, even partially? If it turns out that the items are safe then that’s great and I’m more than happy to post that but I need proof that I can verify by contacting the lab that does the testing.

Her reply: I am so sorry you continue to be upset with the POP situation. At this point, we have communicated with the brand extensively and continue to relay all information we receive about the issue from the brand to our subscribers. As you know, POP continues to both assert that the product is safe to use. However, as with any products, usage should always be at the discretion of the consumer. If this is a product you or anyone else does not feel comfortable using, you should not use it. Given the circumstances around this situation, ipsy is sending a replacement item to anyone who contacts us. We cannot confirm how POP is handling individual cases, although they told us they were actively trying to help anyone who writes in as well. 

Thanks again for your concern for the community and for your continued honest communication with ipsy. 

My reply to her reply: Thanks for the update.

I wish POP Beauty would stop deleting comments and make a public announcement. As I told my husband, over dinner tonight, had they simply posted on their wall, “We are aware that there was a manufacturing issue with the Plump Pout Mini glosses there were sent to Ipsy subscribers. Our manufacturer has assured us that the smell is due to a flavor ingredient was left out however for the safety of our customers and potential customers we are asking that you discontinue using the product until we can verify that the product is safe to use. If you have experienced any negative reactions from chemical burns, to rashes, to split/chapped lips after using this product please contact us as soon as possible. Your safety is important to us so please discontinue using the item until further notice.†That would have satisfied me and others since it means that POP Beauty is taking is serious.

While it’s great that Ipsy and POP Beauty are replacing the items, which I’m sure is costly between the cost of replacements and shipping, all of that could have been avoided by making a statement such as above. That’s all I want from POP Beauty and Ipsy – the acknowledgement that there was a manufacturing issue and as such people need to discontinue using the product until it’s proven safe.

Quote: Originally Posted by twotonetiff /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Man, I feel like what did I start lol, after I put two and two together and noticed the Ingredients were different, but I did fill out the FDA form. I just want to know the line of all this. Is there anyway of telling when we might find more info, will they do testing, and if so when and can we find out the results?

LOL yup, all your fault. ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

If you didn't ask about the ingredients I wouldn't have double checked or did the side-by-side and QueenJane wouldn't have spoken up about the FDA. It when people have concerns and voice those concerns publicly can things like this be discovered. It's highly possible if you didn't speak up things may not have been discovered so always remember to speak up if you have doubts over something.

I wonder what if I didn't say anything. I'm glad I did, especially for the poor women with bad reactions. I do know that I will be paying close attention now to all items I recieve

Saturday afternoon I received my replacement from Ipsy, and the outer packaging of the lipgloss  with the ingredients on it was already removed. It makes me feel so uncomfortable now, why remove the safety seal? 

Also, I posted on Pop Beauty's Facebook wall about how some consumers were only getting an apology and others were getting full sized replacements, and they removed it after PMing me.

Quote: Originally Posted by PikaPop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Saturday afternoon I received my replacement from Ipsy, and the outer packaging of the lipgloss  with the ingredients on it was already removed. It makes me feel so uncomfortable now, why remove the safety seal? 

Also, I posted on Pop Beauty's Facebook wall about how some consumers were only getting an apology and others were getting full sized replacements, and they removed it after PMing me.
After reading this, I dug out the shrink wrap from my minis (I'm weird and keep the packaging from ALL of my makeup, even if I toss out the makeup itself), and loe and behold, there was no ingredient list on the shrink wrap. WELP.

LOL yup, all your fault. ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> If you didn't ask about the ingredients I wouldn't have double checked or did the side-by-side and QueenJane wouldn't have spoken up about the FDA. It when people have concerns and voice those concerns publicly can things like this be discovered. It's highly possible if you didn't speak up things may not have been discovered so always remember to speak up if you have doubts over something.
This is why I love MUT...we all look out for each other! Go team MUT

After reading this, I dug out the shrink wrap from my minis (I'm weird and keep the packaging from ALL of my makeup, even if I toss out the makeup itself), and loe and behold, there was no ingredient list on the shrink wrap. WELP.
I wonder if there was, and maybe it faded. The print on those things come off soo easily it's a joke, go a head take two seconds and scratch off the word beauty on on the gloss. I remember reaching for mine and noticed the print was wearing off and looked so old! Just from being in a makeup bag and used twice! So I just scratched off beauty on the tube like it was nothing. It reminded me EXACTLY like a scratch off. I wonder if the shrink wrap was the same. You cant scratch off the print on the full size, it's impossible. P.s. we make a great team here at makeup talk, -the one who noticed the minis were made in Taiwan while the full size was made in the USA, and the ones who took the time to explain the FDA reporting, and everyone who submitted their experience here and to the FDA. Kudos to you all! At times I thought it was silly to make a lipgloss such a big issue, but who knows what's in that thing! And then learning about people's reactions. Our safety is not a small issue, no matter how silly the product is being used.

Quote: Originally Posted by ohemgee /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I am going to try and find my mini. If you still want us to send you them.

If you have it, I'll take it.... right to the FDA. I hate the fact that POP Beauty is still ignoring my email and not making a public announcement. Yes they fixed the ingredients on their site but they haven't stated why the minis are completely different ingredients wise or which "flavoring" ingredient was left out.

Missing a flavoring ingredient is total bs, the formulas weren't even remotely the same- there were mostly different ingredients in both -and only a few that we're present in both. You should put the internet pictures up here as well for reference, one of before when they had a 3rd completely different ingredient list from the mini and full size, and one after they revise it

So I looking over the ingredients list again and the full size is so nice but it contains these ingredients that mini does not:

Persea Gratissima (Avocado Oil) Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin-E) Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Almond) Oil Lavandula Angustifolia Extract / Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil (Lavender Butter) Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba Seed) Oil Mangifera Indica Seed Butter (Mango Butter) Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract
BTW - I was at my local ULTA last night. They USE TO have a POP Beauty section but I searched up and down the store and nothing. The girls working last night had no clue what I was talking about so I have to wait for Alex or Miriam to work to ask them.

Quote: Originally Posted by theblingfairy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My hair stood on end when I read ipsy's comment "I am so sorry you continue to be upset with the POP situation." It may have been harmless, but I have always felt that kind of comment is condescending, and not an actual "sorry".
Yes, this comment says to me, "Sorry you are upset, but we are not offering a "sorry that we made a mistake."  And that means they are not taking responsibility.

I didn't open my mini until just last week.  I was in the hospital when I got it and just didn't test it when I got home.  I saw the post on her and on facebook and checked mine.  It has the burnt rubber smell.  I emailed Ipsy and Pop.  I haven't heard from Pop but here are the emails I sent and Ipsys response.

Type your response ABOVE THIS LINE to reply
Lisa Springer
Subject: pop beauty lip gloss smelling bad
MAR 09, 2014  |  04:29PM PST 
Angelica replied: Hi Lisa,

We're so sorry! The smell was caused by a manufacturing mistake that affected a small portion of our subscribers. The batch of samples were missing the flavoring. This affects the smell of the product, but we can assure you that it is not toxic. 

I'm so sorry to hear that you're disappointed -- please accept our sincerest apologies. We've learned a valuable lesson this month, and we'll definitely use this experience to improve going forward.

We really love POP beauty, and this is not a normal occurrence. I've issued a replacement item to your current address. We have run out of inventory on our POP Glosses, however I will send you a comparable substitute :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

We rely on our community to keep us informed, so thank you for sharing this with us. 

Best regards,
Angelica :::::please rate my response: http://www.nicereply.com/ipsy/21666420/211586::::: PS. For more information about ipsy and our Glam Bags, check our our FAQ: http://help.ipsy.com/ 
MAR 07, 2014  |  06:18AM PST 
Original message
Lisa wrote: 
I, like many, received the pop beauty lip gloss in my Feb. GlamBag. Mine, like many others, had the AWFUL burnt rubber smell to it. Something is definately wrong with the lip gloss. If this was what people would receive if they purchased a full size, NO ONE would purchase it due to the horrible smell and many many alternatives to this product. I would like a replacement product but not another pop beauty mini as I have seen other people on social media received the same product with the same issues. I have also seen that the gloss has left some people with chemical burns. In all honesty, I think you should notify all members who received this. So anyone who requests a replacement now will not get another mini.  The part about the missing fragrance kills me.  That has to be some REALLY strong vanilla that they put in there if it covers up the smell of burnt rubber.  And no response to the fact that some people got chemical burns.

Zadidoll- I still have mine if you want it sent to you.

PM me for my mailing address. I do want it. I love Ipsy but am so pissed that they continue to promote that the product is not toxic and safe. They can't continue to say that without proof. It may very well be non toxic but it doesn't mean it's safe. I want proof from POP Beauty that it is safe and non toxic.

Back