Products that you think are overhyped?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1. Maybelline Great Lash (it's just an average mascara)

2. High-end Mascaras (I've tried a few and they're not worth so much money, especially since you're gonna throw it out in 3 months!!)

3. La Mer, La Prairie and in general all those products that are overpriced! Most of the times you're paying for the advertisement and for the packaging of a high-end product, not for the quality!

But I love Milani (the e/s especially!) and Maybelline (mascaras, lip glosses) and I have 2 products from Stila that I like (Lipglaze Duo in Midnight Bloom and Push-Up in Rose Flush) and I haven't regretted at all buying them! I also love Prestige eyeliners (the waterproof automatic ones are my HG!), Rimmel (lip glosses, blushes) and Garnier (my HG face lotion is from this company!)

Originally Posted by SimplyElegant /img/forum/go_quote.gif MAC's MSFs. Although they are nice, I've seen better results from similar products. Can you please tell me the products, which you get similar results as with MAC MSFs from?? I don't want to spend so much money on a single product!

Maybelline Great Lash Mascara (the one that comes in the pink tube with the green top)-->All the make-up artists swear by it! But seriously, you really get what you pay for...it's a $2.99 whirl of disappointment, in my opinion. I think this is the mascara that every little girl starts off with first. But it doesn't give any oomph! in terms of volume or length...so why is it still on the market for sooo LONG?

I don't like the diorshow mascara in waterproof. It was awful and I took it back.

Originally Posted by hollymadison /img/forum/go_quote.gif Maybelline Great Lash Mascara (the one that comes in the pink tube with the green top)-->All the make-up artists swear by it! But seriously, you really get what you pay for...it's a $2.99 whirl of disappointment, in my opinion. I think this is the mascara that every little girl starts off with first. But it doesn't give any oomph! in terms of volume or length...so why is it still on the market for sooo LONG? ITA! It is thin and watery to me!

Maybelline Great Lash Mascara - why do MUA in magazines always rave about this - it sucks!!

Eve Lom cleaner - the muslin cloths work well, but you can buy these and use them with your regular cleanser and get the same results

Guerlain Issima Midnight Secret - just a funny smelling moisturiser that leaves me looking shiny in the morning (and is waaayyy over priced)

BUT I do like NARS orgasm blush, although I find that Loreal Front Page Peach is almost exactly the same with much better pigmentation - I wouldn't buy orgasm again but I have 3 back ups of LFPP (it's discontinued
frown.gif
)

While I do like MAC lipsticks and eyeshadows I will NEVER EVER purchase any of their foundations/pressed powders. They aren't formulated for everyday wear and are wayy too heavy.

Originally Posted by Shanelle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dito.gif

Dior mascara!

I will 2nd that on Dior Mascara oh my word,..........AWFUL

Originally Posted by SimplyElegant /img/forum/go_quote.gif MAC's MSFs. Although they are nice, I've seen better results from similar products. ohh which? because i wanted to get one of thoes soon but cant really afford it
rotfl.gif

WOW!! Holy mamas thats a lot for beige stuff

Originally Posted by Reija /img/forum/go_quote.gif La Mer and La Prairie I think are ovehyped. Just because the creams cost over $100 and the cleansing cream and toner around $60 and the foundations around $100 and above doesn't mean the products work any better. I tried both lines and I've tried several other brands and I think the overpriced lines are waste of money. MAC Pigments are the only e/s that show up on my eyes , u must use a primer to keep powder on or it will flutter offMac piggies is what made me starting wearing e/s firsts in my life lol sweet huh?

Originally Posted by mkokgal /img/forum/go_quote.gif I totally agree. I have yet to find something from MAC that I really like. I might use it a day or two and then give it to my daughter who will wear anything or I trash it.

Let's see... I think the following are a tad bit overhyped:

MAC Shroom

Bare Escentuals (Foundations)

Nars Orgasm (Too many dupes!)

Laura Mercier Foundation Primer

Originally Posted by speerrituall1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Maybelline Great Lash......clump, clump, clump, clump AAAACCCKKK!! This has been bugging me for decades now because my sister will NEVER give up her great lash. It is a sickness. CLUMPITY CLUMP CLUMPY mascara boogers clump

Oh hunny orgasm is lovely on ME!!! LoL can't speak for others. I wear it almost everyday.

almost the whole philosophy line is overated. Also proactive...lol please puffy is not using that stuff!!! Pro-active works but you get more break outs and red spots develop.....murad makes the skin feel refreshed with a little mint but the product is worthless.

I know not many will agree with me, but i'm going to have to say Milani products!! I don't care for them. I've also got to say Laura Geller I bought a set of hers on QVC and don't like ANY of it!!!

I think P&J primer N is overhyped. everyone raves about it, but it doesnt do anything extra for me.

LOL!!! I am sorry everyone, I am not a MAC fan either.

Peace

Originally Posted by Princess6828 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Stila lipglazes. Yuck! Soooo sticky and I hate the stupid clicky twist desgin. It never comes out, so I keep twisting and then it all just oozes out. I don't really like MAC all that much either (please don't shoot me!).

I might get my arse flamed for this, but I think MAC has quite a few decent products, I'm just not really keen on their foundations/powders - they're definitely not good for everyday wear...

The thing that I really like about MAC is their enormous amount of color, and other brands seem to pale a little bit in comparison.

Stila isn't all that bad, but like I've mentioned above, I'm a color nut so I'm not really all that fond of Stila. I have the same complaint about about their LipGlazes, that they're a pain to mess with. I've never really been a really huge fan of the click pens: they're messy, and the product is hard to control.

I've never really been fond of CoverGirl. I've had bad experiences with their products in the past, so I'm not really keen on their products.

I think Lancome is OKAY, although there are some duds in the line. Some of their eyeshadows are lacking a serious amount of pigment, which is strange for such a high-end brand. I think they could definitely improve on the Juicy Tubes.

I will end this post by saying there are some things that work for some people, and then there are some things that don't. Each and every one of us is different and each of us have different preferences, so what won't work for one person may end up working for somebody else.

It all depends on taste and body chemistry...

I don't know if they're hyped, but Smashbox is not worth the money IMO. At least not the e/s.

Back