Sample Society July 2014

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, the red does look very pretty on you!  It doesn't look as opague as they say it is.

Completely in love with my box!!!!  Please keep this up SS!  This was such a well curated box!  My favorite sample box of all time!

Oh, the red does look very pretty on you!  It doesn't look as opague as they say it is.
You can DEFINITELY build it to be very opaque and it lasts and lasts! I did it more subtle for the daytime and then packed it on tonight and even though it's a "liquid" lip color, it really did last a long time!

Completely in love with my box!!!!  Please keep this up SS!  This was such a well curated box!  My favorite sample box of all time!
I totally agree. Every item was a hit for me and I thought it was perfectly curated! I loved the little info booklet because it really seemed like they put the items in the box for a REASON and not just because a company paid them to LOL. I felt like it was a box full of summer essentials and not just a random mess of stuff!

This box looks great. Kind of kicking myself for not ordering it when I heard about the revamping. If I order now will my first box be July or August?

My box arrived today and I am VERY impressed.  The mask is huge, the perfume smells very nice, the highlighter is 1/4 the size of a full size product and it will be perfect for a makeup bag, the Butter London is full sized, as is the L'Oreal Color.  Oh, and I'm Kit D and got the Molto Mauve color.  

This is my first box from Sample Society, and if this is typical, I'm going to love this sub.

I  was really prepared to love this sub. I love the brands Fekkai,, Laura Mercier, Butter London. I would look for these brands for hair products, most of my face products are Mercier, and Butter London is a nice brand of polish. 

But, I opened my box and the perfume sample lays over every other items in the box. That's not great.

I particularly  do not like how the colors and beauty profile I set for this box was done YEARS ago, and there is NO option to edit it.

I am so not a red lipstick and metallic brown polish person. Sample Society has always sent me the darkest lip colors and so forth. I have  cancelled my subscription  and despite the box discount code somewhere, will rejoin with a new email so I can hopefully customize my beauty preferences better.  I would have liked any of the other lip color and the rose gold polish. I would have used toe silver polish as well. 

The samples are " OK", Nothing out of line or offensive at all about them, but dang, the perfume card for the sample should not be the largest item in the box!  There is no way I ever signed on for red lipstick, not even  when SS started. I got the first box, and every one after for a long time..  I remember how special it was because it was delivered UPS and then the box itself with the silver metallic paper lining. Now, the USA customers have been " assimilated", it appears. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I'm so happy for everyone who loves their box. Some of the combos are very pretty. This box is simply too darkly intense for my very pale skin color, I'm afraid. Going to see if I can set up a new beauty profile with a new email address.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have got to say, I'm very glad I held on, because I was close to the end of my rope with this sub! Essentially the entire spring season just sucked for me, and I very nearly rage-canceled at getting a 5-moisturizer box last month. If July is any indication of things to come, though, I am happy to have stuck it out. I am MAD for the L'Oreal lip color! I got my box Monday (with Rose Melody) and bought Ruby Opera and Molto Mauve the next morning. The coverage is a dream; they go on light and at the same time wear like iron.

This month is honestly more of what I expect out of a service tied into Allure--the balance of items is the best I have seen in months, and the items for the most part are realistically accessible. (Although I hope I might find a smaller version of the perfume somewhere!) Overall, mighty pleased!

This month is honestly more of what I expect out of a service tied into Allure--the balance of items is the best I have seen in months, and the items for the most part are realistically accessible.
This.  Exactly.  It's _Allure_.  Based on the advertisers in the magazine and the stuff in the editorial beauty pages (which have *always* been my favorite part of every single magazine for as long as I can remember), their target demographic is not all about high-end skincare.  It skews towards color cosmetics, hair, and occasionally pampering, and it's not particularly focused on MUST BE HIGH-END.  This month's box is exactly what I expected Sample Society would be when it initially launched:  Some fancy stuff (Laura Mercier and the fragrance), something I might impulse-buy at Walgreens (L'Oreal lip gloss), something I might impulse-buy at Ulta (Butter London), and something I wouldn't bother buying but could very well end up adding to my must-have-at-all-times list depending on how well it performs (the hair mask). 

I just really hope they can maintain this mix.  I really don't mind seeing a drugstore/mass-market item in every box (actually, the more I think about it, the more I actively hope that happens) as long as it's a *good* drugstore/mass-market item, and preferably a new product getting a big marketing launch.  Rimmel lip lacquers would be perfect, for example, or some funky seasonal Sally Hansen/Revlon nail wraps or a current-season limited-edition Maybelline Color Tattoo.  Basically, something that we tend to buy in multiple shades if we like the formula. 

And if they balanced the drugstore item with something higher-end I would never bother buying without trying (another fancy hair mask!  Hand cream from any Margot Elena brand!), that would be *fantastic*.  I just need to not get tons of skincare, and especially not anti-aging skincare.  My skin is *very* picky and tends to react to skincare that promises to do lots of stuff by shedding as many layers as possible as quickly as possible and turning *bright* red. 

girlygirl....my profile is blond with fair skin... Old Bill and Ruby Opera show on my dashboard.  I hope you have some luck with updating but it almost seems like the boxes are totally random.

My box came today and I was actually pleasantly surprised. I ordered the box at the last minute after seeing the previews because of all the great items included, so obviously the actual color selection didn't worry me too much.

I was slated to get Kit D - and my dashboard still shows Kit D, with The Old Bill and Molto Mauve (I think) for the color selections. However, I don't know what kit I actually got! My L'Oreal is Rose Melody and my Butter London is Bobby Dazzler. Both colors I prefer to the ones I thought I was getting, because they add more diversity to my makeup collection, which I love.

Did this happen to anyone else? Or does anyone know which kit I actually received? Regardless, I really like it! (The hair mask smells fantastic, btw, but the perfume is too hot to sample right now, and I am afraid the heat might have ruined it.)

ETA: Never mind, from Bizgirlva's pics it seems like I got Kit A. :eek: /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Last edited by a moderator:
I got my box today too and had Champers and Coral Encore as my color variations. I'm not really fond of coral colors and this one doesn't seem to fit my skintone. I was hoping for Ruby Opera, which is a darker red that I am fond of.

Got my box today after a momentary panic of where UPS left my packages (in my neighbor's yard)

photo-150.JPG

I got Kit C and my BL was The Old Bill , my L'oreal Ruby opera, LG highlighter 01 (did we all get the same color).  It looks like my Fekkai leaked but I need to see how much product is missing.

Are the boxes always this small?  The physical box size.  This is my first box and seeing pictures of them online I always expected them to be bigger lol.  Also the inner box is crammed in that outer box tight!  It took me a good while to finagle it out!

Are the boxes always this small? The physical box size. This is my first box and seeing pictures of them online I always expected them to be bigger lol. Also the inner box is crammed in that outer box tight! It took me a good while to finagle it out!
I haven't seen the new red box (since this is the first box of the revamped version) yet, but the old black boxes were a little smaller than half a sheet of typing paper (so less than 8 1/2" x 5 1/2").  Based on the lipstick and nail polish, these new boxes do appear to be the same size as the old ones.

I haven't seen the new red box (since this is the first box of the revamped version) yet, but the old black boxes were a little smaller than half a sheet of typing paper (so less than 8 1/2" x 5 1/2").  Based on the lipstick and nail polish, these new boxes do appear to be the same size as the old ones.
Good to know that is about the size of it!  The box is thick and sturdy and so shiny!  I think it's a keeper for me!

Don't be scared of Ruby Opera, girls, rock that lippie with pride! I have very fair skin and I tried it anyway, and I think it looks pretty nice. I'm like... see-through pale, probably paler than most of you. People who consider themselves pale look tan next to me :)

Now THAT'S pale :)
whiiiiiiiiiiiiiite.jpg

Don't be scared of Ruby Opera, girls, rock that lippie with pride! I have very fair skin and I tried it anyway, and I think it looks pretty nice. I'm like... see-through pale, probably paler than most of you. People who consider themselves pale look tan next to me :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Now THAT'S pale :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

whiiiiiiiiiiiiiite.jpg
You look Gorgeous!! Luv the color on you :)

Pale skin and red lips are such a classic combination that I just can't accept that there's any such thing as "too pale for red lips"!  I *can* get behind "*so* overdosed on red that I need something else."  That's where I am right now. 

Back