Secret Santa 2014! - Main thread

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just played a rousing game of What's That Noise?  The correct answer:  Oscar snoring on the couch.  He's a Heavy-Breathing Cat to begin with, but he breathes even heavier when he's sleeping.  Anyway.  Everyone is a winner.  I prefer this to the game played at my brother's house this morning in which everyone is a loser:  Which Dog Farted?  THERE WERE FOUR DOGS THERE.  ALL OF THEM TOOK TURNS POLLUTING THE AIR.

In unrelated news, I am utterly uninterested in buying *anything* right now.  NOT EVEN MORE SPARKLY INDIE EYESHADOW.  What is wrong with me?  I am clearly broken!

In unrelated news, I am utterly uninterested in buying *anything* right now.  NOT EVEN MORE SPARKLY INDIE EYESHADOW.  What is wrong with me?  I am clearly broken!
I'm alone at the moment, and I think I'm having the opposite feeling...like...what, no sales? No promos? Bring it on!  Hahaha! Merry Christmas!

My laptop was custom built by HP in September and I want to murder it already. My desktop is the 100 year old cheap Compaq (that I had to buy asap after my previous 100 year old desktop was stolen) and I want to murder that, too. My hubby's Lenovo is boring and only has work stuff. Why do computers hate me?

If anyone mentions Mac, they are dead to me. Apple hates me more than any other electronics device in the entire world.

What is the electronics version of a black thumb? Coming from the Graphic Design student (who is changing her major, ha ha, due to unrelated stressors).

My laptop was custom built by HP in September and I want to murder it already. My desktop is the 100 year old cheap Compaq (that I had to buy asap after my previous 100 year old desktop was stolen) and I want to murder that, too. My hubby's Lenovo is boring and only has work stuff. Why do computers hate me?

If anyone mentions Mac, they are dead to me. Apple hates me more than any other electronics device in the entire world.

What is the electronics version of a black thumb? Coming from the Graphic Design student (who is changing her major, ha ha, due to unrelated stressors).
Haha, I'm going to be dead to you, but as far as computers go, Macs are the only ones that don't make me want to bash my head in (but I've had macs since I graduated high school until now). Unfortunately, my macbook died a while back (my fault, knocked a glass of water off of a dresser onto it) and I'm too poor to replace it (those things are EXPENSIVE).

I've actually found that, while I'm trying to save to replace it, a Chromebook is the most tolerable option for me! (I borrowed my mom's PC for a bit and hated it as much as ever...I just hate Windows. Everything about it. I find it so frustrating to use). THere are some inconveniences (can't run programs, only web based apps on the Chrome OS, etc) but since the most important thing for me is being able to do my various internet tasks, it's okay. 

@@yousoldtheworld I don't know how old your MacBook is but if you still have it they might be able to refurbish it for you. My bed fell on mine and cracked it and eventually it stopped working and for a flat fee they fixed everything. I only use Apple, my son got an F on his computer pre test since he has never used a windows machine. The last windows machine lasted 5 minutes literally and my 5 year old MacBook Pro that I gave to my stepdaughter works perfectly still. Love how all my electronics work together so well, I can send things from my phone to my computer to my kids iPads so easily. Can't wait until I can get the watch!

List me as an Apple hater. Things don't work worth crap for me, granted I haven't used their actual computers since the iMac one of those color ones like in Zoolander, but our Ipad sits uncharged right now and noone is upset and I gave my Ipod away because I hated the damn thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Microsoft pissed me off with Vista so badly that I will never own another Microsoft product again.  I do use Windows at work, but only because I am required to do so.  I ran with hardcore computer snobs in my 20s, though:  They would build their own Linux boxes (frequently from spare parts about to be discarded at their jobs in University of Washington computer labs) and would only run open source software.  Oh, 1990s Seattle nerdery!  How I miss you!

I swore off Apple after I bought a Newton a thousand years ago.  (Google it for a good laugh.)

I can't believe I now have an iPhone (have had for 2 years).  I had two android phones - one was crap (Orig Droid X and an LG something) that were so wonky and unreliable.  I kept seeing how my students were all toting iPhones -- and abusing them, yet they were still working.  I figured there might be something to them.

A year later an iPad mini appeared to replace my Samsung tablet.

I don't know if I'll ever get a mac, but who knows. 

I haven't actually ever OWNED a Macbook but I use them at school and I've never been impressed. My iPhone, however, I hate with the passion of a thousand fiery suns. I was actually hoping to get a new phone for Christmas, but apparently the hubs didn't understand what I meant when I said "If I have to use this phone another day, I am going to throw it out the window". ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don't hate Windows - I actually like Windows 8, barring all the insignificant flaws the developers never bothered to fix. :rolleyes:   But Vista WAS awful, but Windows ME was even worse. Thank god for Windows XP. If it weren't for that platform I probably would have joined the Linux team.

Edit: I just... I can't. This machine hates me, GDI.
Edit2: Forgot to mention, I will never not be okay with the fact the RIM never was able to have a viable platform. I keep hoping for a BlackBerry comeback, but man I need my Instagram!

Apple lover here! Posting from my iPhone. I carry my iPod with me everywhere. My PC is on its last leg and the second it goes I will buy a Mac.

My dad, however, is a computer technician and absolutely HATES Apple products.

Ouch, well, I am so sorry for the passing of @@yousoldtheworld and @mikaglam. They will be greatly missed. :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Nah - as much as I complain, I am an equal opportunity OS user - I just really dislike Mac is all. ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

SeSa related, I am curious if there are still gifts floating out there? Are there international giftees (or giftees with international Santas) that we might see something from? *still excited* :lol:

RIM makes BEASTS! Z got a Playbook for her 5th birthday, we JUST got her a transformer for XMAS and the Playbook still works even after 5 year old Z decided to "wash" it when it got dirty. We definitely got our money's worth out of that thing, it's a shame it wasn't more popular.

@@yousoldtheworld I don't know how old your MacBook is but if you still have it they might be able to refurbish it for you. My bed fell on mine and cracked it and eventually it stopped working and for a flat fee they fixed everything. I only use Apple, my son got an F on his computer pre test since he has never used a windows machine. The last windows machine lasted 5 minutes literally and my 5 year old MacBook Pro that I gave to my stepdaughter works perfectly still. Love how all my electronics work together so well, I can send things from my phone to my computer to my kids iPads so easily. Can't wait until I can get the watch!
It's like....7 years old I think (it's one of the very first batch of the aluminum unibody ones) and the price to fix it at this point wouldn't really be worth it :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />, and would still take months upon months of saving up. 

I too have an iphone and am really missing the whole phone and computer synergy! I hate androids the same way I hate windows, they just feel so clunky to me!

BUT, minus the whole phone/computer cooperation, going from my mac to a chromebook was a much easier transition than going from my mac to a pc, so. I won't complain. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Oh my gosh, whatever that food is it looks so good. I mean... I am near licking the screen right now. Santa, come cook for me! :lol:

ETA: Don't tell me it is like, homemade pet treats or something (and I seriously don't know how to say that without it seeming rude, but I'm not trying to be). That would tell you what the level of my homemade food is! :blush:

Oh my gosh, whatever that food is it looks so good. I mean... I am near licking the screen right now. Santa, come cook for me! :lol:

ETA: Don't tell me it is like, homemade pet treats or something (and I seriously don't know how to say that without it seeming rude, but I'm not trying to be). That would tell you what the level of my homemade food is! :blush:
it's definitely home made, that's how amazing she is. she sent me a message a couple of days ago saying she was making something and express shipping it. I was trying to figure out what weighed so much in the box at first and it absolutely makes up half the weight. I can't even close all of it in the tin she gave me XD
I hope you will share the recipe! it's sooo good. :9

Back