September 2014 No/Low Buy: Hugs, Commiseration, and Confessional

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you already decided that you won't use it, then don't get it!  It's fun to think you'll play Beauty Scientist, but the number of times I've ACTUALLY done DIY beauty stuff.... I can count them on one hand. 

So, if you DO cave, then you have to set yourself up with a schedule that you WILL use them at least once a (week/month/etc) and stick to it.  Otherwise, if you think AT ALL that this will be a beauty purchase that will sit around in a drawer gathering dust (and I will confess to having many of these!) then don't buy it!
Thanks! I'm kind of getting mixed signals from myself and others.... which leads me to believe I probably shouldn't purchase it. However, I can also see myself really angry when it sells out again.... so I'm just trying to decide how to best handle this. I think this is the type of situation that really gets most of us.... those LE collections that you don't have a lot of time to hem and haw over before dropping dollars.

PMed you with a mildly enabling suggestion.
I just saw this!

Surprisingly, that message you sent me was kind of not enabling.... I loved it, thanks! This may just keep me on track.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've already ruined my no-buy! *falls into a pit of sobbing* I've been in a super bad way lately and when I can't sleep at night, I browse the internet. Tonight I caved on two lipsticks, one an indie, and a sample of an indie gloss. ARGHHHH!

It's okay, I am rallying. I have to return some items to Sephora that didn't work out, so in the end I should break even. But I need more willpower! Anyone have good tips on distracting yourself in the middle of the night when massive insomnia won't let you sleep? :flowers:

I've already ruined my no-buy! *falls into a pit of sobbing* I've been in a super bad way lately and when I can't sleep at night, I browse the internet. Tonight I caved on two lipsticks, one an indie, and a sample of an indie gloss. ARGHHHH!

It's okay, I am rallying. I have to return some items to Sephora that didn't work out, so in the end I should break even. But I need more willpower! Anyone have good tips on distracting yourself in the middle of the night when massive insomnia won't let you sleep? :flowers:
I read a book, preferabley one I've read before, and love :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  I occasionally get really bad insomnia, and while it is tempting to head over to the computer, it's a bad move. Sleep and computers don't mix : http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/features/power-down-better-sleep

Though I'll admit, I do often cave and head over to the computer!!

Other ideas, herbal tea, warm milk (has tryptophan in it, like turkey, which causes sleepyness), spritz a perfume you like on your pillow, really anything that helps you relax and takes your mind off of anything it is focusing on. 

hmm... spent $25 on a Nars Pierre Hardy blush (i also spent $25 on the orangey one last month). I've basically stopped Sephora-ing for now in favor of stalking an instagram seller for good deals. I need to come up with a short list of Holiday sets that I want and decide how much I really want it, how much I can wait until post-holiday discount, or not pick up at all!

I have to remember that I want to buy a car and that down payments are important (well, depending on who you talk to).

I bought a few Lee Holden Qi Gong videos, and one has a 13 minute bonus deep sleep floor routine.  For some reason, I can fall asleep after doing this FAR better than if I don't.  Even better, this extra routine is available in its entirety for free on youtube!  =)

Definitely taking this September no buy seriously. I managed NOT to order the new Shiro COTM immediately. I'm waiting to get it later. I want to sock some money away from holiday goodies.

Made my allowed Haus of Gloi order!  And successfully resisted buying the September PopSugar box last night.  Closing that window was SO HARD, you guys!

That scarf!  It's so pretty! And I had a $10 off code!  But seriously, I just don't use the items I've gotten in past boxes and I DON'T NEED TO BUY THIS ONE. And I have a kajillion scarves! I don't need another one!

Day 5!  Doing better than last month.   I think I will do ok this month because I am finally using products I like.  Yeah, I would like a few eyeliners in different colors to find something great.  But, I have all the basics and am no longer using crap that I have had forever.  I have been getting great stuff in my boxes to keep me in new product bliss.  I somehow have a mental relationship with one that just seems to know when I want/need something and its in the next box. 

Only replacements I see for September are:

Foundation

Cleanser

I think what will keep me entertained this month is my 2 boxes as well as possibly trying a new foundation and a new cleanser.  I think I like trying new things and that triggers my buying.  So, a little bit of new hopefully will go a long way in September.

I need to go to the mall this weekend to replenish my LUSH shampoo face wash and soap, wish me luck!

Got an email from Ulta saying they gave me a random 100 points ($3).  I went in yesterday, grabbed a pack of cotton rounds and a clearance nail file (both gifts!) and gave them $0.51 and WALKED OUT.  I couldn't stop myself from wandering the store, but everything I picked up, I immediately put down.  

I think I've broken the Ulta addiction!  (however, there's no hope for my indie addiction. Le sigh, lol)

I caved the other day for an Indie subscription I've been wanting to try that I was finally able to purchase, but as I've been meaning to get this subscription for months, and I plan on reviewing it on my blog, I'm not going to count it. Memeboxes were the death of my no buy last month, and so far this month I've been good! Memebox free since the 1st  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I am a bit late to this party, but September is going to be necessities and replacements month (with some ... hem... exceptions). I'm still looking for a job, so funds are a bit tight. Moreover, once find a job I want to have an excuse to buy some "reward" pretties. :)

Also, I was a minimalist for last few years, and I like that, but recently, I got a bit carried away. 

So, for September I'm allowed to keep my subscriptions (Birchbox, Ipsy and Beauty Box 5), purchase a new shampoo/conditioners (possibly fancy ones, as finding shampoo for curly hair in drugstores is a challenge), use Birchbox points and two gift cards I have (generic and Sephora one). Cloths for job interview are allowed if they are a not a dupe of something I already have. 

No buying make up just because "oh, look it so pretty!", and no buying cloths just because there is a sale. 

Did you try audio books? Most of places you can get them for free for local library (for a couple of weeks), I find that non-fiction audio books knock me out when I can't sleep. 

I caved the other day for an Indie subscription I've been wanting to try that I was finally able to purchase, but as I've been meaning to get this subscription for months, and I plan on reviewing it on my blog, I'm not going to count it. Memeboxes were the death of my no buy last month, and so far this month I've been good! Memebox free since the 1st  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
When I use my blog as an excuse to buy stuff, my husband just rolls his eyes, lol

I think I've actually managed to talk myself out of making a Sephora order in order to get my free birthday gift.  I can pick that up in store next time I'm downtown, and I really don't need anything.  I might not even do that, as if I'm honest, I'm not that interested in the set.  I've also started using a bottle of mineral oil I have to remove my makeup, so I can't talk myself into making an order just because my makeup remover is running low :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

ETA : It's actually much easier to resist Sephora and similar now that I'm ordering stuff from indies.  HOWEVER, resisting making more indie orders is extremely difficult!

One week in and holding at zero! Buuuttttt my replacement credit card will arrive this week and I am ITCHING to buy all the things. I told myself make it through the 15th and then you can have a little money to spend. Let's hope I can make it that long!

Back