September 2014 No/Low Buy: Hugs, Commiseration, and Confessional

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stressed + tired = I want to shop! I'm trying to be good. I still haven't put away my purchases from last month so I do not need ANYTHING!

I may be suffering from the end of summer blues. Where has this year gone?
I learned that reorganizing your stash helps to fight urge to shop. Hope that helps.

I must confess that I bought $18 worth of stuff from the Lorac Hautelook sale last week. Two Cococin cream foundations in Fair for $5 each and gel liners in dark green and Black Ruby for $4 each.
I succumbed to the same sale at the end of August and ordered some eye shadows and lip gloss. Prices were just too good, sigh... Still waiting for it to get here though.

Doing well so far this month... but that's only because I'm about to close on my new house on Monday, so all my shopping juju is now getting funneled into watching Craigslist for furniture and stalking Pinterest for decor ideas that will end up costing me $ to implement, so I'm not sure how much better that is in the grand scheme of things! I've sort of drafted a list of home projects I'll want to do, but I need to rank them in order of importance and really crack down on budgeting, or I could easily blow a looooooooooooot of money on spiffing up the new casa.

Doing well so far this month... but that's only because I'm about to close on my new house on Monday, so all my shopping juju is now getting funneled into watching Craigslist for furniture and stalking Pinterest for decor ideas
I really love the idea of getting caught up in researching something as a way to keep from mindlessly spending.

I think it's kind of like how I like to play around with Polyvore to create outfits and even wishlists- it keeps me occupied and even though I'm making lists of things to buy, often times I end up no getting everything on the list because I've already pictured owning it from the exercise and it doesn't do it for me.

shower gels and body lotions are my new weakness! gaaahhhhhh!!!!!  :eek: /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Let me help you stop obsessing by telling you about my holy grail body wash and body lotions:

1. Shea Moisture African Black Soap body wash $10 at drugstores

(cleansing, calming, soothing, and moisturizing all at once. Creates creamy lather that is also good at clearing body acne.) Also smells nice and looks chic since it's a black liquid. I love using it!

2. Paula's Choice Resist Skin Revealing Body Lotion with 10% AHA $27, online

This stuff is amazing- it is fragrance-free so it doesn't compete with your perfume, it is moisturizing, it exfoliates, it softens, it gets rid of and prevents ingrown hairs, keratosis pillaris, and body acne, and is just all around awesome!

I'll never buy another body wash or lotion again.

I learned that reorganizing your stash helps to fight urge to shop. Hope that helps.
Thanks for saying this- it's something I really need to do. Organizing it, inventorying it, and selling/donating/trashing what I don't want. I'm also kind of excited about using my makeup to create a few Fall looks! I think I'll do that this weekend- just sit down, organize it all and inventory it, then get out a pack of makeup remover wipes and start playing!

--

In other news, I packed up my 3 items to return and will be returning them today at Sephora. Luckily I'm driving by there anyway. I'm not sure what I'll say to the associate, but I didn't open or use them, and I want to purchase them again, but only during the next 20% off thingy for VIBs this holiday. It was dumb to buy now when I knew I should be on a no-buy in preparation for splurging in the fall.

Last edited by a moderator:
Doing well so far this month... but that's only because I'm about to close on my new house on Monday, so all my shopping juju is now getting funneled into watching Craigslist for furniture and stalking Pinterest for decor ideas that will end up costing me $ to implement, so I'm not sure how much better that is in the grand scheme of things! I've sort of drafted a list of home projects I'll want to do, but I need to rank them in order of importance and really crack down on budgeting, or I could easily blow a looooooooooooot of money on spiffing up the new casa.
I close on my new house on Monday as well! Good luck to you! I've been focusing my energy on browsing Craigslist, consignment furniture stores, and Pinterest. I have spent very little on makeup and what I have spent I feel good about. I also feel confident that I can continue spending very little on makeup. I quickly realizing how much money I would like to put into my new house, and how much money I have to spend on Monday. I have been trying to parse down my list of things I would like to do to a smaller list of affordable DIY upgrades I would love to do.

Since college started, I really haven't been buying much makeup! (A lot of my $ has been going to textbooks and things such as that.) 

I've also been bringing lunch, for my in-between class breaks, so I don't have to pay $6 for a vegan wrap. (Rip off.)

Oh no, what happened?

Can you do returns?

Let it out, sister!
No :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> well I spent my $37 at the cco which I've already stated. Then somehow a $36 haus of gloi order happened. Then a $17 notoriously morbid order which I DO NOT NEED MORE EYESHADOW. It's that damn indie thread it kills me every time :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> oh an I picked up a lipstick at the walmart but I'm not totally callingng that a fail because I was looking for a mac dupe and $5 is better than $16. But still. Gah! Guess my "no buy for the beginning of the month, low buy for the second half" is turning into a "medium buy first half, hopefully no buy second half"??

Last edited by a moderator:
doing a lot better this week. haven't bought any make up :) I just wish stuff I ordered last week and my subscriptions would hurry up and get here already! that would keep me occupied for a while

No :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> well I spent my $37 at the cco which I've already stated. Then somehow a $36 haus of gloi order happened. Then a $17 notoriously morbid order which I DO NOT NEED MORE EYESHADOW. It's that damn indie thread it kills me every time :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> oh an I picked up a lipstick at the walmart but I'm not totally callingng that a fail because I was looking for a mac dupe and $5 is better than $16. But still. Gah! Guess my "no buy for the beginning of the month, low buy for the second half" is turning into a "medium buy first half, hopefully no buy second half"??
Aww, well shucks. I know how that feels. This month was supposed to be a no buy for me - and I spent $136. But then I returned stuff, and returned other stuff without a receipt and got store credit, so now that's down to.... ~$67 fail instead of a $136 fail.

If you switch up your plans, and have the rest of this month an extreme low buy ($10 max) or even a no buy, you'll still be coming out good, right?

I  know it's so hard to resist those threads that just call to us- for you  it's the indie thread, for me it's the holiday thread (and unluckily enough many of those sets that I thought wouldn't come out until November are already on sale GRR) but we have to be strong. Sometimes it's harder to take the temptation away than it is to resist a purchase, to be honest. Hahah. I can't keep myself from reading the thread, but can I keep myself from making a purchase? Well... the game becomes more complex because you wouldn't even be tempted if it weren't for the thread- but how to stay away from the thread? SO HARD!!!! EUGH!!!

Since college started, I really haven't been buying much makeup! (A lot of my $ has been going to textbooks and things such as that.) 

I've also been bringing lunch, for my in-between class breaks, so I don't have to pay $6 for a vegan wrap. (Rip off.)
Good on you for packing your lunch. I need to do that more often. That will save you tons and you'll probably be eating really healthy too!

doing a lot better this week. haven't bought any make up :) I just wish stuff I ordered last week and my subscriptions would hurry up and get here already! that would keep me occupied for a while
Good job on this week and your restraint!

I've gone through my purchases for the month, and I think I'm doing pretty well so far. I've bought a few replacement items using codes. I also bought two Memeboxes. One was specifically allowed, and the other will have to come out of my extras allowance. I was able to get the indie subs I wanted, so no more purchases for me. I've also picked up a few planned items during a restock and am now pretty well stocked up on lotion and perfume.

I'm going to extend my low buy until at least the end of October.

I haven't been doing so well this month. I haven't made any makeup purchases that weren't allowed, but I've been spending more on clothes. I've bought 4 pairs of pants/jeans online already... at least if some of them don't fit, I'll return them, and maybe it won't be so bad.

So I spent $55 on a shirt to wear to work, but I returned about $20 in stuff.  I also canceled canceled a sub box after the first box.  So I won't technically be billed in Sept for that one.  I did sign up for the Walmart box.  Otherwise I am somewhat on track with my low buy.  I also have a few shirts to return that I ordered last month and just arrived this week.  

I also am starting Therapy.

I know I shop when stressed and anxious and to fill a hole so I am hoping the therapist can help with the underlying issues so I am not shopping to  fill a void.

I saw pictures of the new Vice3 palette. I want it, I really want it. I never had a vice palette and I want to make it my Christmas/You're off to UC Berkeley gift for me. (I'm a spring admit so I start in January)

But I'm going to make it a resolution that I can't buy it until I finish 19 full sized products.

Yeah, I also had an indie buying binge.  I managed to keep it to fairly small orders, but a lot of fairly small orders add up!  I can still make my target for the month, but I've made things very difficult for myself.  On the plus side, since TAT vary widely on my orders, I should have a package coming every few days for the rest of the month, so I won't have the urge to order more stuff...

12/30 days. Doing good so far. I want the Vice 3 but since it's a Holiday palette I know they'll make plenty and I'll just wait for it's Sephora release in October.

I'm now subbed to three indie subs.  Right when I was so proud of myself for cancelling Ipsy and Sample Society.

Notoriously Morbid's Vanishing Cabinet - Keep, definitely.  I love that there's 4 eyeshadows, a lip product, AND extras from other companies each month.  I love that there's a cohesive theme, so if I do decide to give a set away (like this month's Tim Curry inspired line) I feel much better saying "here's a collection based on Tim Curry" instead of "Here's a random bag of shadows!"  And, because she ships from W. Va instead of somewhere out West, I'm one of the first to get the sub!

i+ta (Innocent and Twisted Alchemy) - Cancel after this month.  I love the concept, her drawings are gorgeous, and there's a bit of a theme.  HOWEVER, they're usually based on manga/anime and I'm just not into it.  (I wish I were.  I'm just not that cool, sadly).  I subbed in a late-night moment of weakness, and I've heard nothing but good things about it.  It's just too much makeup alongside the NM sub, especially as I'm not into the themes/concepts.

Glamour Doll Eyes - Finally got a 3-month sub after several months of either forgetting, being right in the middle of something when the window opened, or having horrible lagging/loading issues that caused me to not get a sub.  I now have a Sept/Oct/Nov prepaid sub.  Ironically, I had the sub for the exact same months last year, but ended up letting it expire and not going for a new one because I didn't like the main color 2/3 months and at that time, extras were rare, rather than (fairly) standard.  Then I won a blog giveaway for the May sub, which was AMAZING.  Then began my hunt for another GDE sub!  This will be a "wait and see", because I would like something that bills every month, rather than all at once.  Vee has promised some changes for the upcoming year, and I'll how these three months go before re-upping.

My goal by the end of the year is ONE Birchbox (I found another 100-point code so I'm paid up with two boxes through October.  I'll have 600 points with which to spoil my Secret Santee!), and the Notoriously Morbid sub.  Hopefully, that's it.  I've been pretty good otherwise this month, no spending on regular makeup/beauty products, my shampoo/conditioner stash is still going strong, and I'm not tempted by any of the holiday sets or Ulta 21 Days of Beauty Deals!  Progress, ladies!

So far this month, I have subscribed to the innocent + twisted alchemy sub (which I'm okay with) and haven't purchased anything else. I think I'm going to try to only make 1 order this month (probably from Aromaleigh if there's a sale on a collection I want or potentially Fyrinnae). I'm still working diligently on project pan :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Back