September 2014 No/Low Buy: Hugs, Commiseration, and Confessional

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
 Good- Did not buy any Balm cosmetics during Haute Look sale. Did not get the Stila  In the ....Whatever the all matte one is during the Ulta sale.

Bad- Bought Stila "Beauty in the Buff" set and a Lorac lipstick in "Seductress"

Sigh.

No makeup buys so far. Doing good! Hope everyone's hanging in there. 

Almost half way through the month and hanging strong. I am toying with the idea of reopening another BB sub since there's a 100 point code, but the deal is if I do, I have to cancel right away. BB had really nice boxes this month, IMO.

Makeup no buy going strong, despite being tempted by a good GWP code. Started to try to rationalize buying some skincare stuff I'm not out of yet but will eventually need...but I stopped myself. Saving money with the 20% codes in November will be better than just adding MORE stuff to my stash with a GWP. So that was a win!

However, all my other decreased spending goals are going poorly!!! Spending too much money on eating out, home goods, and clothes. Fail. Goal will be to keep those in check for the rest of the month!!

I've been holding strong this week despite being super tempted by a few new releases. I finally got around to putting away some of my recent purchases and I am officially out of room for new stuff. I really need to use up a bunch of stuff before buying anything new.

I shouldn't even bother with  no-buy when I am at this level of stress. <_< Failure makes me feel worse, but I really need something to reign in my spending habits. There is so much stuff we'll need money for over the next 6 months or even the next year, that if I don't get control of myself now, I am afraid I never will.

So, after I did kind of bad this month, then returned things and felt better, I did even better! I sold some deluxe samples and stuff on ebay and made some money. Not lots, but it helps! So, I also bought some replacement skincare stuff from Paula's Choice- they had a 20% off code. I'm stocked up really well now!

Tomorrow I'm going to try to sell more on Ebay, but also... I have a little plan in mind, would you like to hear it, maybe even try it?

Ok so it's kind of like the envelope method that Dave Ramsey talks about, but a little different.

I am going to buy one of these plastic receipt/coupon organizers:

Deluxe_OrganizerVEpW.jpg

I'm going to label each tab with a different category in my budget, which I put together last month but haven't been able to be accountable for yet.. until now!

So, I'm going to withdrawl cash for each category, and place it in my organizer at the beginning of each month. I'll only be allowed to spend the cash that I have in each section until the next month when I can start over. If I want to buy online or use my credit card, I can still do that, but I have to take the amount of cash I spent online in that category and move it into a space for next months' funds.

I never wanted to do the envelope method because I thought it sounded messy and also I shop online and use my credit card too much, but I think I have it figured out in a way that'll work for me!!! I hope it'll help!

Is anyone else doing something similar? Want to join me?

So I spent $55 on a shirt to wear to work, but I returned about $20 in stuff.  I also canceled canceled a sub box after the first box.  So I won't technically be billed in Sept for that one.  I did sign up for the Walmart box.  Otherwise I am somewhat on track with my low buy.  I also have a few shirts to return that I ordered last month and just arrived this week.  

I also am starting Therapy.

I know I shop when stressed and anxious and to fill a hole so I am hoping the therapist can help with the underlying issues so I am not shopping to  fill a void.
I see a therapist weekly due to my divorce, but I started talking to her about my shopping problem. She was somewhat helpful, but I want to broach the topic again this week because I feel like it wasn't really resolved. I'll let you know what she tells me, and if your therapist tells you anything helpful, let us know too!

Good- Did not buy any Balm cosmetics during Haute Look sale. Did not get the Stila  In the ....Whatever the all matte one is during the Ulta sale.

Sigh.
Well, I'm still proud of you since you were able to resist some things.

No makeup buys so far. Doing good! Hope everyone's hanging in there. 
Whoa, awesome girl!!!!

I shouldn't even bother with  no-buy when I am at this level of stress. <_< Failure makes me feel worse, but I really need something to reign in my spending habits. There is so much stuff we'll need money for over the next 6 months or even the next year, that if I don't get control of myself now, I am afraid I never will.
Aww, yeah I know what you mean. I kind of know how you feel about getting control now or always being wild with spending. I'm really trying to research other methods, because apparently self-policing isn't doing it for me.

Hi everyone - I know it's halfway through the month already, but I decided to join you. I've never done an official no buy before, because trying to do this sort of thing can sometimes backfire on me, because I'm still obsessing with shopping, just in another way, you know? So we'll see. I need to do something, though, because the size of my makeup and sample hoards are ridiculous, and I have student loan payments to make.

Hopefully I'll extend the no buy to the end of the year, but I'll start with the rest of September. No cosmetics purchases of any kind: that means makeup, skincare, bath, hair, etc.

Exceptions:

• I can buy things that don't cost real money, i.e. by using credits. I have some HauteLook and Paula's Choice credits, and some Birchbox points, so those are okay if I see something I want/need. I know this is kind of a loophole that will probably make it easier for me.
  • I can replace my foundation when I run out. I guess I can technically replace other things that I actually run out of too, but I really, really don't see that happening. I am very well stocked.
  • My Birchbox is paid through next summer, so I'll still be getting that.
  • If I find that $7 Nexxus coupon I had and it hasn't expired, I can buy a small bottle of shampoo from Kroger where they sell it for $9. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
I used to let myself use "extra" money that came in from things like ebay/Amazon sales, eBates, etc. for shopping, but that money isn't going to go into my bank account from now on.

I'm also going to unsubscribe from all the beauty promo/spam emails I'm getting and try to stay out of the enablers thread. Oh and I should probably cut down on reading makeup blogs, but that one is going to be harder to do . . . 

@@eastofthesun I've been thinking of doing that for a LONG time. I'm good at tracking mentally but this way there's no risk in going overboard. I will be sad to not get cash back on my credit card though :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I pay off my balance in full each month. Since I've basically made all my big girl treat purchases and all the furniture we need for the new apartment (minus a futon for the guest room), my goal is to tackle my "moving debts" and to save as much as I can!

I tend to go overboard on random trips to the grocery store. My make up buys have dwindled significantly and I am hoping to keep this momentum through the holidays. I used to justify buying sets since I could break them up and give them as gifts.

Is anyone else doing something similar? Want to join me?

I see a therapist weekly due to my divorce, but I started talking to her about my shopping problem. She was somewhat helpful, but I want to broach the topic again this week because I feel like it wasn't really resolved. I'll let you know what she tells me, and if your therapist tells you anything helpful, let us know too!

Will do @@eastofthesun

Sounds like everyone is doing great.

I went to Sephora in JCP yesterday to buy a Birthday gift for a friend and that is all I bought.  I did get the VIB Bareminerals gift too, but that was a gwp.  I was also able to use JCP gc I had from returning a dress that did not fit.

I also canceled my BB5 sub.  I had a 3 month prepaid and didn't love it enough to keep going after the prepaid ended.  Now I only have 1 birchbox and 1 food box monthly and the fortune cookie soap qtrly box.  

I might add boxy charm if i have anything left on my low buy.  

I have a few more items to return when I go to the other mall in the next few weeks so I think I'm not doing too bad.

Cool! I have therapy this evening so I'll make sure to talk about this and see what she suggests. I'll share with everyone here!

Sounds like everyone is doing great.

I went to Sephora in JCP yesterday to buy a Birthday gift for a friend and that is all I bought.  I did get the VIB Bareminerals gift too, but that was a gwp.  I was also able to use JCP gc I had from returning a dress that did not fit.

I also canceled my BB5 sub.  I had a 3 month prepaid and didn't love it enough to keep going after the prepaid ended.  Now I only have 1 birchbox and 1 food box monthly and the fortune cookie soap qtrly box.  

I might add boxy charm if i have anything left on my low buy.  

I have a few more items to return when I go to the other mall in the next few weeks so I think I'm not doing too bad.
You are doing awesome! Congratulations!!!

@@eastofthesun I've been thinking of doing that for a LONG time. I'm good at tracking mentally but this way there's no risk in going overboard. I will be sad to not get cash back on my credit card though :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I pay off my balance in full each month. Since I've basically made all my big girl treat purchases and all the furniture we need for the new apartment (minus a futon for the guest room), my goal is to tackle my "moving debts" and to save as much as I can!

I tend to go overboard on random trips to the grocery store. My make up buys have dwindled significantly and I am hoping to keep this momentum through the holidays. I used to justify buying sets since I could break them up and give them as gifts.
Yeah, I agree- I don't want to not get my cc rewards, but I was thinking maybe if I just move the cash over to my 'next month' pocket when I use my cc, then I cna still do this. Maybe! I'm going to make myself one of these cute things:

OrganizedBudgetBinder9.jpg

Well it's the 15th so I am allowed to go into birthday spending mode. But I have been being good and have picked up lots of extra shifts at work the last two weeks to offset a bit of frivolity. I want to keep reading this thread even if I am not limiting myself though, and I am so proud of all of your successes. Good luck everyone and stay strong against those lemmings!

Sigh.
I'm really struggling with theBalm on Hautelook at the moment. NudeTude pallet is calling my name and there are still 11 hours left... 

I'm really struggling with theBalm on Hautelook at the moment. NudeTude pallet is calling my name and there are still 11 hours left... 
What other nudes do you have? Honestly, I don't think their shadows are all that great (they crease and fade more than other shadows I own). 

Last edited by a moderator:
i didn't like that palette. i gave it away to my sister who is just starting to get into makeup. it was all dry and just not as buttery as, say, UD. maybe think about it more, and you can always get it next time thebalm is on hautelook. they're frequent on there. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

What other nudes do you have? Honestly, I don't think their shadows are all that great (they crease and fade more than other shadows I own). 
Lorac Pro (which I love) and I just got Too Faced Chocolate Bar. You'd think I have enough stuff to play with. 

I wouldn't by theBalm pallet at full price, but at 50% off it's kind of tempting. If it had free shipping in addition to that I'd probably cave by now. 

i didn't like that palette. i gave it away to my sister who is just starting to get into makeup. it was all dry and just not as buttery as, say, UD. maybe think about it more, and you can always get it next time thebalm is on hautelook. they're frequent on there. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Thanks. I feel a bit better now. 

@@Elena K The palette is also available on Birchbox if you subscribe to that. You can always use points or codes to get it at another time. But I agree, theBalm is on Hautelook fairly frequently, you can always get it the next time if you're trying to hold out!

Back