Taking inventory

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This has got me curious how large my collection is.  I think I will count when I get home tonight.  However, just in my purse I have 1 lip primer, 1 lip liner, 7 glosses, 3 balms, and 6 lipsticks.  My desk at work contains another 2 balms and 1 lipstick and in my car I have 2 more glosses and another 5 lipsticks.  Hi, I'm Megan, and I am addicted to lip products.  I has been one day since my last lip product purchase.

I took an inventory of my stash in hopes to finally use up some products and to get rid of anything that doesn't work or I don't like.

Face Primers: 8

Foundation: 13

Concealers: 3

Brow Products: 3

Setting Powders: 2

Eye Primers: 19 (mostly samples)

Eye Shadow: 265!!!

Mascara: 18 (mostly samples)

Highlghters: 10

Bronzers: 9

Blush: 34

Eye Liner: 39

Lippies: 85

Perfume: 42 (mostly samples)

Face Creams: 17 (mostly samples)

Shampoo: 17 (mostly samples)

Conditioner: 16 (mostly samples)

Hair Styling Stuff: 16

I made a promise to myself to actually get rid of eye shadow I don't like! What is the point on holding on the items if they won't be used?

I did this about 3 weeks ago so the numbers are already lower. I also counted samples since I need to use them up!

I plan on recounting every 3 or 6 months

Quote: Originally Posted by Bikerchic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  This has got me curious how large my collection is.  I think I will count when I get home tonight.  However, just in my purse I have 1 lip primer, 1 lip liner, 7 glosses, 3 balms, and 6 lipsticks.  My desk at work contains another 2 balms and 1 lipstick and in my car I have 2 more glosses and another 5 lipsticks.  Hi, I'm Megan, and I am addicted to lip products.  I has been one day since my last lip product purchase.

Welcome! and I totally feel for you -- I don't usually have a  lot of lipstick, but I have chapstick coming out of my pores...and I can somehow never seem to finish them. I found a ton of those EOS balls sitting in various bags since last time I counted my makeup. 

Quote: Originally Posted by kaitlynns /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I've been inspired! I am going to take an inventory over the next few days and post it!

Welcome! Let us know how it goes!

Quote: Originally Posted by chladnis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I took an inventory of my stash in hopes to finally use up some products and to get rid of anything that doesn't work or I don't like.

Face Primers: 8

Foundation: 13

Concealers: 3

Brow Products: 3

Setting Powders: 2

Eye Primers: 19 (mostly samples)

Eye Shadow: 265!!!

Mascara: 18 (mostly samples)

Highlghters: 10

Bronzers: 9

Blush: 34

Eye Liner: 39

Lippies: 85

Perfume: 42 (mostly samples)

Face Creams: 17 (mostly samples)

Shampoo: 17 (mostly samples)

Conditioner: 16 (mostly samples)

Hair Styling Stuff: 16

I made a promise to myself to actually get rid of eye shadow I don't like! What is the point on holding on the items if they won't be used?

I did this about 3 weeks ago so the numbers are already lower. I also counted samples since I need to use them up!

I plan on recounting every 3 or 6 months
Welcome! that's quite a lot of eyeshadow. Glad to hear you're getting rid of it instead of trying to hold onto the ones just because... I like your idea of recounting every 3-6 months. I might do something similar.

I have like 10 different perfume samples I really need to get through...I'm just so bad at actually spraying on perfume in the morning! D: 

Quote: Originally Posted by eastofthesun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Ooh this sounds like a great idea! I love reading what everyone else has!

Ok, I'm going to do a little experiment; I'm going to list what I *think* I have here, and when I get home tonight, I'm going to actually count everything and see how the two compare. I'm sure I think I have a lot less than I actually do, which is the point of this post, right? Hehe.

Ok, what I think I have (a small collection by most standards):

Foundation: 1

Powder: 1

Setting Powder: 2 (both DS)

Face Primer/Base: 2

BB Cream: 1

Concealer: 5

Blush: 4

Highlight: 2

Bronzer: 1

Eyeshadow: 25

Eyelid primer: 1

Eyebrow pencil: 4

Eyeliner: 3

Mascara: 3 (FS) + 5 (DS)

Lipstick: 5

Lipgloss: 2

Lipstain: 4

Chapstick: a bazillion!

Nail polish: 8

Brushes: 15

Perfume: 7 (FS) + 10 (samples)

Foil pack samples: 15

SPF: also a bazillion!

A few notes to myself:

1.) Get rid of the 1 cream foundation- it's old (from 2008) and I haven't worn it since my wedding, I'm just holding onto it because it's of sentimental value.

2.) Only use 2 chapsticks at a time- one by the bed, and one in your pocket, otherwise they'll all go bad too quickly.

3.) Start using your mascara samples (rotate so you use the oldest ones first).

4.) Start trying the sample packets- don't save them for anything special unless you know you'll love them and can use them on a plane

5.) Blush- seriously? I hardly even wear it, get rid of the stuff!

6.) Stop buying lipstick, I never use it. Getting the freebies from Clinique are good enough!

Ok, I'll check back in with the reality later!
Ok, so I was planning on checking back with my *real* inventory, but I've actually gotten a few new things, and gotten rid of some other things, so it won't be *as* telling of a little experiment, but here goes anyway!

EastOfTheSun's makeup inventory as of 1/20/2014

Foundation: 3 (+ 3 DS)

Powder: 1

Setting Powder: 2 (both DS)

Face Primer: 1 (+ 1 DS)

Color Correction: 1

BB Cream: 1

Concealer: 4

Blush: 3 (+ 4 DS, 1 sample)

Highlight: 1 (+ 3 DS)

Bronzer/Contour: 2

Eyeshadow shades (total, including palette shades): 44

Eyeshadow palettes: 2 (+ 2 DIY palettes)

Eyelid primer: 1 (+ 1 DS)

Eyebrow pencil/cream/powder/gel: 3 (+ 2 clear gels, 3 cheap pencils I never use)

Eyeliner: 3 (+ 4 e/s I can use as powder liner)

Mascara: 1 (+ 5 DS)

Lipstick: 2

Lipgloss: 3

Lipstain: 4

Chapstick: 8

Nail polish: 10

Brushes: 20

Perfume:  9 (+ 6 samples)

Note: To cut down on amount of items needed, I depot my BB cream, eyelid primer, face primer, and cc base into clean contact lense cases for travel and work/purse back-ups).

I'm scared to do this, not because of the reality check but because I might need to buy something else! LOL!

This is such a great thread! I took the plunge and went through mine to reinforce my no-buy. 30 nail polishes (I didn't realize I had this much! But it includes my base/top and like 6 mini glitters) 17 eyeliners (lots of varied UD and Starlooks colors that I wear every day) 1 lip liner 2 highlighters 2 concealers 11 lipsticks/glosses 5 single eye shadows 2 bronzers 4 powders 3 blushes 5 eye shadow palettes for a total of 62 shades 3 foundations, 3 deluxe foundation samples 3 face primers 2 eye primers I didn't include skin or hair care, and a BUNCH of those items are in my Monday Club bag to use up asap. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Quote: Originally Posted by beautybybrett /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My stuff is way too unorganized to do this right now. I need to get organized first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get it, girl! 

Quote: Originally Posted by kaitlin1209 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This is such a great thread! I took the plunge and went through mine to reinforce my no-buy.

30 nail polishes (I didn't realize I had this much! But it includes my base/top and like 6 mini glitters)
17 eyeliners (lots of varied UD and Starlooks colors that I wear every day)
1 lip liner
2 highlighters
2 concealers
11 lipsticks/glosses
5 single eye shadows
2 bronzers
4 powders
3 blushes
5 eye shadow palettes for a total of 62 shades
3 foundations, 3 deluxe foundation samples
3 face primers
2 eye primers

I didn't include skin or hair care, and a BUNCH of those items are in my Monday Club bag to use up asap.
biggrin.gif

:D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> funny how nail polish is so easy to underestimate in numbers! I honestly thought I only had like 20 bottles of nail polish.... after counting, it was 83! 

Best of luck with the no-buy and see you in the Monday Club!

Quote: Originally Posted by queeenb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I'm scared to do this, not because of the reality check but because I might need to buy something else! LOL!
 LOL! Don't be scared. Taking inventory is just a reality check and a tool to help you when and if you do decide that a no buy or low buy is for you. It puts what you already have in the forefront of your mind so you are less tempted to go buy things you don't need while trying to accomplish your no/low-buy goals. For some of us it's saving, for some of us it's just curving the spending habit, and for some of us it truly is about decluttering...whatever your goal, it becomes much easier if you're fully aware down to single items what it is you have, so you can plan accordingly. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

Get it, girl!  :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />funny how nail polish is so easy to underestimate in numbers! I honestly thought I only had like 20 bottles of nail polish.... after counting, it was 83!  Best of luck with the no-buy and see you in the Monday Club!  LOL! Don't be scared. Taking inventory is just a reality check and a tool to help you when and if you do decide that a no buy or low buy is for you. It puts what you already have in the forefront of your mind so you are less tempted to go buy things you don't need while trying to accomplish your no/low-buy goals. For some of us it's saving, for some of us it's just curving the spending habit, and for some of us it truly is about decluttering...whatever your goal, it becomes much easier if you're fully aware down to single items what it is you have, so you can plan accordingly. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 
So true! I need to go through my nail polish stash & toss old bottles & colors I just don't like or wear.

Get it, girl!  :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> funny how nail polish is so easy to underestimate in numbers! I honestly thought I only had like 20 bottles of nail polish.... after counting, it was 83!  Best of luck with the no-buy and see you in the Monday Club!  LOL! Don't be scared. Taking inventory is just a reality check and a tool to help you when and if you do decide that a no buy or low buy is for you. It puts what you already have in the forefront of your mind so you are less tempted to go buy things you don't need while trying to accomplish your no/low-buy goals. For some of us it's saving, for some of us it's just curving the spending habit, and for some of us it truly is about decluttering...whatever your goal, it becomes much easier if you're fully aware down to single items what it is you have, so you can plan accordingly. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 
True true! Thank you so much for the encouragement. Lol! I'll get on it STAT :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I have:

138 nail polishes

14 body lotions

12 full sized perfumes

11 mini perfumes

3 primers

4 lip balms/treatments

11 lip liners

17 lipsticks

41 lip glosses

4 finishing powders

23 blushes

3 bronzers

2 highlighters

34 pencil eyeliners

33 pressed eyeshadows

14 loose eyeshadows

I have way too many nail polishes and I've been trying to get rid of the ones that I don't like, but I don't want to just throw them away, so I've been trying to swap them away. I'm also just getting into eyeshadows, so those numbers will probably be growing a lot more.

Quote: Originally Posted by kyxli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I have:

138 nail polishes

14 body lotions

12 full sized perfumes

11 mini perfumes

3 primers

4 lip balms/treatments

11 lip liners

17 lipsticks

41 lip glosses

4 finishing powders

23 blushes

3 bronzers

2 highlighters

34 pencil eyeliners

33 pressed eyeshadows

14 loose eyeshadows

I have way too many nail polishes and I've been trying to get rid of the ones that I don't like, but I don't want to just throw them away, so I've been trying to swap them away. I'm also just getting into eyeshadows, so those numbers will probably be growing a lot more.
shadows are addicting... I remember back in late 2011 when the only shadows I had were in my naked palette. Yeah, that's changed dramatically. 

Quote: Originally Posted by jaylilee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  shadows are addicting... I remember back in late 2011 when the only shadows I had were in my naked palette. Yeah, that's changed dramatically. 

The Naked palette is what started my makeup obsession!  Before my Naked palette I just wore whatever makeup I got from CVS or Walmart, usually Maybelline (I do still love their mascaras.) When I ordered it from Sephora, I had no idea what a big deal Naked was, I just thought it looked cool when I was browsing the Internet one day. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaylilee /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Haha yeah, I can see why they could be addicting... so many pretty colors! I had a minor blush addiction in the past half year or so and went from 2 blushes to 23, but there's much more color variety with shadows than with blushes, so I can see myself becoming way more addicted to shadows.

Quote: Originally Posted by kaitlin1209 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The Naked palette is what started my makeup obsession!  Before my Naked palette I just wore whatever makeup I got from CVS or Walmart, usually Maybelline (I do still love their mascaras.) When I ordered it from Sephora, I had no idea what a big deal Naked was, I just thought it looked cool when I was browsing the Internet one day. 

I don't have any of the Naked palettes yet, but they're on my list! I'm trying to pace myself with purchases, though, haha. I've been ordering from Sephora for a few years now, but I'm just now really starting to get obsessed with makeup. I used to be obsessed with nail polish, but that's worn off a little now that my stash is so big, and maybe I'm turning my energy to makeup or something.

I commend you both for using the word "addicting" properly!! Quote: Originally Posted by @jaylilee shadows are addicting... I remember back in late 2011 when the only shadows I had were in my naked palette. Yeah, that's changed dramatically. By @kyxli Haha yeah, I can see why they could be addicting... so many pretty colors! I had a minor blush addiction in the past half year or so and went from 2 blushes to 23, but there's much more color variety with shadows than with blushes, so I can see myself becoming way more addicted to shadows.

Quote: Originally Posted by saycrackagain /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I commend you both for using the word "addicting" properly!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by @jaylilee

By @kyxli Haha yeah, I can see why they could be addicting... so many pretty colors! I had a minor blush addiction in the past half year or so and went from 2 blushes to 23, but there's much more color variety with shadows than with blushes, so I can see myself becoming way more addicted to shadows.
You mean to say people use the word wrong...?

@kaitlin1209  Isn't that how it always goes?! I remember the only shadow I owned once was a little mary kay single that was a bit of a light burgundy...then I bought a powder baby blue and a black one and THANK GOODNESS I never wore them because baby blue does not look good on anyone past the age of 12 (unless, of course, you're one of those lucky people who can pull it off) and black is already had enough to work with when I KNOW what I'm doing... Imagine back when I had no clue. *shudder*

I remember having 1 face powder, that one MK shadow, and chapstick. Mascara if absolutely necessary... I only started wearing mascara religiously in my senior year of college.  Those were the days. 

You mean to say people use the word wrong...?
Yes, most people say 'addictive' instead. Addictive is the personality type that makes someone become addicted. Addicting is what things are.

Quote: Originally Posted by saycrackagain /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yes, most people say 'addictive' instead. Addictive is the personality type that makes someone become addicted. Addicting is what things are.
Interesting. It never occurred to me that people would use such a word wrong, because the difference is obvious to me. I guess my English teacher did a pretty good job!

(If I knew where she is now, I'd write her a letter to say thank you. Haha! English is my second language, and one learned later on in life, so that's a testament to my many teachers, I think)

Just remembered this thread!  I think I'm going to do another inventory at the end of April and see how things have changed, and where I need to cut back. 

Back