100 Day No Buy Challenge Slumber Party (General Chat)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@@Kristine Walker. Thank you for your prayers. I will keep you in my prayers too. She will be mentioning to the counselor about the hoarding. Hopefully it will help. My husband wants me to clean it ASAP. Sadly I think it will become a mess again.

I'm not sure if I failed today. It's a struggle when my sister is here. We went back to Target today to pick up gloves for her and other things. She did not bring gloves with her and it is in the teens with realfeel temp in the negative. She has appointments Mon-Wed and needs to wear gloves while we are out. I tried not to be irritated about buying gloves for her the second time this winter even though she lives in an area about 10 degrees cooler than here. How can you forget gloves???

Also my BIL is in the ICU for a stroke. There are other things going on besides her, but she takes up a lot of my time.

The part where I failed - I'm not sure if buying stuff should be in spoilers? I bought stuff that I needed, but not quite yet.

I've been reading about Carol's Daughter and want to try it on my hair because it is long, thick, and wavy. It's also free of chemicals that bother my rosacea. I bought the Sacred Tiare (anti-breakage) & anti-frizz shampoo, conditioner, and hair mask. I am almost out of shampoo and finished a bottle of conditioner today. I do have backups for them. I do not have a hair mask. I would have needed to buy them in the 100 day period. I can rationalize it by saying I bought them early, but the buying was to make me feel better.

Awww, that is awful. I can so relate. I have a massive breakout going on and just got 2 cold sores. I am sorry you feel so bad. You said you can't lift your hands to your face- what happened? Did you have to get surgery? Here's to a speedy recovery if so!
I had IVs that caused swelling in both arms around my elbows. Apparently it's not an uncommon complication, but it's making doing simple things hard. I won't know if I need surgery until the end of the month. 

A pourover coffee brewing setup that I've been wanting for about six months finally went on clearance at my work. Of course I bought it, because I've been waiting six months for that specific thing to go on clearance, plus use my employee discount, yes definitely. On the way home, I was like, oh dang, did I just break my no-buy?

I don't think so, and I don't think I'm being too enable-y here. My no-buy is pretty much beauty and skincare stuff, basically the sorts of sales and products I would find out about on MUT. I don't spend excessively in other areas of my life, and while I feel weird about buying a non-necessity, it is something that I will use a lot and it isn't an impulse purchase (which honestly impulse purchases are more of an issue for me than MUT enabling).

Thoughts? Am I just making excuses?

Edit: That effing ad-link for a coffee brewing setup is NOT what I'm talking about, and it's making me really angry that it's there, for two reasons. 1) The day I consider buying one of those is a day I've also received multiple concussions and couldn't even tell you my own name anymore. 2) WTF MUT you are introducing serious trust problems when you post ads that look exactly like they were posted by known and trusted users.

When I see links in posts, I assume considerate and competent posters included links to the actual product being discussed. I know MUT used to have some random text ads a while ago, and they were really clear that it was an ad. Like, double blue underlined with a hover bubble or something random that stood out different from a regular user-posted link. Is this what replaced them? How the everloving frack do I remove them? Someone wanna link me to the appropriate discussion or thread or FAQ or whatever? I never noticed an ad on something I've personally posted, and I am really angry about having to second guess every link from now on.

Second edit: It's not even a link to a product you can buy, it's a link to a discontinued product that is no longer for sale! Why? Just for the fun of messing with us?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yesterday was a test, for sure.

• Back to school after winter break
  • Meeting after school (cancelled, thankfully)
  • physical therapy on knee
  • offered to grab dinner for mom since I was dropping off her groceries
  • took mom to ER (COPD flare) bc Urgent Care had a 2.5 hr wait
  • mom released as snow started to fall
  • came home and saw an Ulta plat perk
  • loaded a cart
  • went to bed w/o buying anything (nervous shopping, ugh)
Then, woke up at 5AM to learn we have a SNOW DAY!!  Six inches fell but we're gearing up for some blowing/drifting.  And ooh, tomorrow night we're looking at a low of -10 with w/c down to -25.  BRR!

@TooMuchElectric:  I hate hate hate hate HATE! those damn sneaky, looks-like-an-actual-post-but-is-advertisement things on here now. I have to run ad blocker on here because there was just too much crap clogging up the screen. Occasionally though, one of the fake posts makes it through. 

I also hate that I can't really browse MuT on my Ipad or phone anymore because of those damn pop up full page ads. They are a pain to click out of, make my phone freeze up, and don't even show me anything that I would want to buy anyway (seriously, for like 2 straight months it kept showing me an ad for adult diapers....I'm 26). I guess I would be less grouchy if the ads were for makeup or whatever, since it has to do with the site, but what is being shown now is ridiculous. 

Sorry for the rant. I must be grouchy from not buying things :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

A pourover coffee brewing setup that I've been wanting for about six months finally went on clearance at my work. Of course I bought it, because I've been waiting six months for that specific thing to go on clearance, plus use my employee discount, yes definitely. On the way home, I was like, oh dang, did I just break my no-buy?
I don't think you broke your no-buy. It sounds like a reasonable exception- Don't stress much about it! 

I do not think that you broke your no-buy. It was a careful planned purchased that you waited for months to go on clearance. That states to me responsible shopping.

I also have the problem with my text linking to outside ads. I do not know how to stop that either.

I thought about my situation last night and decided to cut myself some slack. We started the New Year with my older son's cat at the animal hospital and a huge vet bill, my BIL had a stroke and is in the ICU and can't go back to the same living situation which creates problems, and my sister is having her first in depth counseling appointment today. I am working on my day 1-10 goals. It isn't perfect, but I am making progress.

After two years of unemployment, I start a new job 1/5!

My first impulse is to say I need new clothes. It's a casual office, but my momma uniform of jeans, t shirt and stretched out sports bra won't really cut it. I've ordered new bras because you can't fudge that. But in spirit of the no-buy, I'm going to spend this week going thru my closet and trying things on to see if I can't pull together at least five decent work outfits. That's all I really need, right?
Congrats!

Excellent summary! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Thanks, glad others seem to agree about the multiple posts, although I can understand how it gets confusing.

@@Kristine Walker. Thank you for your prayers. I will keep you in my prayers too. She will be mentioning to the counselor about the hoarding. Hopefully it will help. My husband wants me to clean it ASAP. Sadly I think it will become a mess again.

I'm not sure if I failed today. It's a struggle when my sister is here. We went back to Target today to pick up gloves for her and other things. She did not bring gloves with her and it is in the teens with realfeel temp in the negative. She has appointments Mon-Wed and needs to wear gloves while we are out. I tried not to be irritated about buying gloves for her the second time this winter even though she lives in an area about 10 degrees cooler than here. How can you forget gloves???

Also my BIL is in the ICU for a stroke. There are other things going on besides her, but she takes up a lot of my time.

The part where I failed - I'm not sure if buying stuff should be in spoilers? I bought stuff that I needed, but not quite yet.

I've been reading about Carol's Daughter and want to try it on my hair because it is long, thick, and wavy. It's also free of chemicals that bother my rosacea. I bought the Sacred Tiare (anti-breakage) & anti-frizz shampoo, conditioner, and hair mask. I am almost out of shampoo and finished a bottle of conditioner today. I do have backups for them. I do not have a hair mask. I would have needed to buy them in the 100 day period. I can rationalize it by saying I bought them early, but the buying was to make me feel better.
Don't be too hard on yourself about the purchase. Even though you had backups, sometimes it's difficult to work through products you just don't like. I hope the ones you got work for you. Maybe you can use your backup shampoo for cleaning other things like some of the people here suggested. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I had IVs that caused swelling in both arms around my elbows. Apparently it's not an uncommon complication, but it's making doing simple things hard. I won't know if I need surgery until the end of the month. 
Oh no, that's awful! I'm sorry to hear about that! I hope you don't need surgery.

I do that when I find a shampoo I don't really like, especially with travel sizes.  I also use it with a nail brush when needed.
Awesome! Good idea, I'll be employing these tactics!

Shampoo also works well to clean brushes as long as it's not a harsh shampoo
Oh right! That's a great idea- I had been using an old facewash I didn't like for cleaning brushes, and when that's out I'll use shampoo!

I've used a shampoo that I hated to clean my toilet before.
Hahah, great idea! I'll have to try that. That and cleaning my sink and bathtub. I wonder if I could wash dishes with shampoo? Hahah, probably better not try that one.

Ok, you ladies were so helpful with unwanted shampoo, how about unwanted conditioner? At the middle of this year I switched to conditioners without silicones. I have 1 large bottle of conditioner that has silicones leftover... I'm not sure what to do with it. What do you ladies think? Donate? Use as a hair mask only occassionally? Could it be used as a fabric softener? I don't know.... hahah!

Yesterday was a test, for sure.

• Back to school after winter break
  • Meeting after school (cancelled, thankfully)
  • physical therapy on knee
  • offered to grab dinner for mom since I was dropping off her groceries
  • took mom to ER (COPD flare) bc Urgent Care had a 2.5 hr wait
  • mom released as snow started to fall
  • came home and saw an Ulta plat perk
  • loaded a cart
  • went to bed w/o buying anything (nervous shopping, ugh)
Then, woke up at 5AM to learn we have a SNOW DAY!!  Six inches fell but we're gearing up for some blowing/drifting.  And ooh, tomorrow night we're looking at a low of -10 with w/c down to -25.  BRR!
Wow, good for you! You really stuck it to that bad day by getting all of that done and not even buying what was in your cart. My hat is off to you!!!!

I don't think you broke your no-buy. It sounds like a reasonable exception- Don't stress much about it! 
I agree, I don't think buying that coffee pot was breaking the no-buy, particularly because it was such a planned purchase.

I thought about my situation last night and decided to cut myself some slack. We started the New Year with my older son's cat at the animal hospital and a huge vet bill, my BIL had a stroke and is in the ICU and can't go back to the same living situation which creates problems, and my sister is having her first in depth counseling appointment today. I am working on my day 1-10 goals. It isn't perfect, but I am making progress.
Oh no, I'm sorry to hear about all the issues you're having to face at this time in your life. I haven't even thought up any day 1-10 goals yet, but I don't know if I'll do mini goals. I don't know yet. But good for you and keep on making progress!

I can move my arms again! YAY! I am going to do some laundry and then paint my nails. 
YAY! I'm happy for you! Paint those nails!!!

Stay strong, ladies!

yes%20we%20can.jpg

As long as it's not a "strengthening" conditioner, they're good to use for shaving. If I remember right, they're conditioning so they don't dry out your skin and they help soften the hair before you cut it. It's been awhile since I heard the reasoning.

So while I am primarily on a make up no buy, being able to stop and think about why I buy makeup has allowed me to look at things with a new perspective.  I am totally the type of person that could be like I am not buying makeup, so I am going to buy shoes!

I am trying to be more mindful.  Like when I want to buy something I ask myself "Am I buying this because I need this or because I want this?"  Most of the times it is a want.  I have packed up a huge bag of stuff for good will and taken so much stuff to work to give away that I literally cannot think of one thing I need.  I feel very fortunate to be able to have all I need at this time.  I am keeping a list of things so as things come up in the moment I can jot it down, determine if I want or need it in the future, almost like a wish list.

I appreciate that my husband has been really supportive in my mass decluttering and my no buy. He probably regrets it as every day he comes home from work I have a pile of stuff I am like "I want to donate this, yay or nay?"

Latest posts

Back