100 Day No Buy Challenge Slumber Party (General Chat)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I looked at my credit card balances this morning.  Like all of them, together.  And then I proceeded to cancel four subscriptions -- including one I had intended to keep.  A couple more are on the chopping block now, and sooner rather than later.  Wow, I had no idea it was that bad.

I started a spreadsheet where I'll track the balances.  That is a lot of big numbers.  But it has definitely strengthened my resolve to stick with this. 
One thing I did which I wish I had done sooner is I called my bank and asked for a lower interest rate on my visa.  My interest rate went down and I pay a small annual fee.  The amount of money saved in interest is a lot more than the annual fee for the card.  Perhaps you may want to try this?

I'm ready for this! Like many others, I also have goals this year of getting organized, healthier, and in better control of how and where I spend my money. This no buy will be something that is tangible and will help me stay on track with my other goals I think. Good luck, everyone!

I looked at my credit card balances this morning.  Like all of them, together.  And then I proceeded to cancel four subscriptions -- including one I had intended to keep.  A couple more are on the chopping block now, and sooner rather than later.  Wow, I had no idea it was that bad.

I started a spreadsheet where I'll track the balances.  That is a lot of big numbers.  But it has definitely strengthened my resolve to stick with this.
I write down the expense excluding grocery shopping each month, and it surely helps with telling myself how much goes into where, and sometimes as painful as it is to see every purchase, it surely helps with dealing with the hard cold truths! 

I accomplished my first goal of getting all clothing hung backwards!  Then I pulled out a tshirt and cardigan I haven't worn in months and that's my outfit for today!  (well, and pants)

Now I'm off to look up healthy recipes!  This tshirt is a little.... tight  :rolleyes:

What do you guys think of trading during the no-buy? I put it as an allowable, but I am not sure. I feel like it will be helpful for clearing out a bunch of the stuff I won't use (in addition to gifting and donating), but it's also kind of bringing in new stuff as well when I don't really need anything. 

What do you guys think of trading during the no-buy? I put it as an allowable, but I am not sure. I feel like it will be helpful for clearing out a bunch of the stuff I won't use (in addition to gifting and donating), but it's also kind of bringing in new stuff as well when I don't really need anything. 
Maybe set yourself a limit on shipping costs?  For example, during the 100 days you can make trades as long as shipping doesn't exceed $20 (or $10 or whatever you decide).  So then you're only making the trades you REALLY want.  Also, in an effort to get rid of more than you get, throw a few extra/bonus items in with each trade!

I definitely think it can be an allowable (it's your 100-days, your rules!), as long as you set some sensible limits!

You may also want to try trading with nearby friends/family to do away with shipping costs altogether.  Recently I traded an eye cream sample which didn't interest me for a full-sized eye shadow with a family member.  Both of us walked away happy and there were no shipping costs.  Both products were from beauty subs.

Overall I see nothing wrong with trading while you are doing a no-buy.  If you are getting rid of an item you have no intentions of using which is otherwise going to take up space or end up in the trash/donated then you acquire something you will use just so long as the cost of postage does not exceed the value of the item you are still coming out ahead.  

Though you could also take it a step further and trade multiple items if you have to pay for postage when possible to make the best possible use of your resources.  Be aware of weight and dimensions before putting your package in the mail to avoid delays and spoiled postage. 

So when I was doing my inventory, I realized that in early December I went out and purchased a red lip balm. I hate red lip balms, I know I hate red lip balms, and since I already knew what this product was like I can't even fathom why I would have purchased it. Just another reason why I need to be on this no-buy I guess. 

Does anyone know if you can use leave in conditioner instead of regular conditioner?  I have a million shampoos but may not have enough conditioner but I have like 6+ bottles of leave in and if I can get away with that I will.  I have a feeling it will not work the way I want it to but I was trying to work through my stash!  TIA!

Does anyone know if you can use leave in conditioner instead of regular conditioner?  I have a million shampoos but may not have enough conditioner but I have like 6+ bottles of leave in and if I can get away with that I will.  I have a feeling it will not work the way I want it to but I was trying to work through my stash!  TIA!

I have used leave-in conditioner in lieu of ordinary conditioner and it worked well for me.

@@kittenbiscuits Find a different activity for when you are bored. Read a book, watch a movie, talk to friends, write a journal, play Angry Birds.....do anything else but shop.

I noticed over the past few days that I want to order items as a pick me up. It's stressful dealing with my sister and her myriad of issues. I picked her up to bring her back to my house for her counseling and treatments. I spent an hour and a half listening to her telling me how she is happy she is not 30 pounds overweight. She is a size 2/4. Guess who is 30 pounds overweight? Me. I wanted to order something when I came home with her to make me feel better. I've tried talking to her, but I think it is part of the mental illness.

My older son's cat is back home. He came home Thursday. I picked my sister up on Friday who will be here until Wednesday. I want to order something!!!

On the plus side she admitted on the trip to my house she is a hoarder. She trashed one of our rentals which my husband wants me to clean up. Ugh! I want one little thing. A hair mask, a pretty nail polish, just one little thing :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I noticed over the past few days that I want to order items as a pick me up. It's stressful dealing with my sister and her myriad of issues. I picked her up to bring her back to my house for her counseling and treatments. I spent an hour and a half listening to her telling me how she is happy she is not 30 pounds overweight. She is a size 2/4. Guess who is 30 pounds overweight? Me. I wanted to order something when I came home with her to make me feel better. I've tried talking to her, but I think it is part of the mental illness.

My older son's cat is back home. He came home Thursday. I picked my sister up on Friday who will be here until Wednesday. I want to order something!!!

On the plus side she admitted on the trip to my house she is a hoarder. She trashed one of our rentals which my husband wants me to clean up. Ugh! I want one little thing. A hair mask, a pretty nail polish, just one little thing :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
You can get thru it. I was getting the same feeling till I started digging into my box. I found a polish set that I hadn't opened from back in the summer. Maybe dig around and see if you can find something that you didn't know you had.

You can get thru it. I was getting the same feeling till I started digging into my box. I found a polish set that I hadn't opened from back in the summer. Maybe dig around and see if you can find something that you didn't know you had.
Thank you. I'll do that. My sister and I are going to do our nails tomorrow. I am sure I can find a pretty nail polish to try out.

Thank you. I'll do that. My sister and I are going to do our nails tomorrow. I am sure I can find a pretty nail polish to try out.
And add glitter. Glitter makes everything better.

Sending big internet hugs your way.

I was getting the same feeling till I started digging into my box. I found a polish set that I hadn't opened from back in the summer. Maybe dig around and see if you can find something that you didn't know you had.
When I feel that "want", I go to the place where my backups and samples are, I look at everything including samples, and then I may or may not pull out a sample to try out that day. I think it helps me not pull the trigger on impulse buy.

Back