100 Day No Buy Challenge Slumber Party (General Chat)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ugh, I looked at myself in the mirror today. I look like hell - bruises and swelling all over my arms, my undereye circles have taken on a life of their own, and I have no color in my cheeks. I want to shop, but I know it won't actually make me feel better.

Ugh, I looked at myself in the mirror today. I look like hell - bruises and swelling all over my arms, my undereye circles have taken on a life of their own, and I have no color in my cheeks. I want to shop, but I know it won't actually make me feel better.
How about using a facial mask? And use your favorite body moisturizer, apply your favorite lip balm. 

@@PA Anna I have thought hard and prayed over your situation. Being forced into a caregiver relationship to your sister is an extremely stressful situation to find yourself.

Ask her therapist about having your sister clean up her own mess at the rental as a part of behavior therapy. I admire you tremendously for soldering on in the situation.

As a caregiver myself, I can tell you that you will need to schedule some time just for you, no husband, kids or sister. It is easier said than done, but you need time just for you, even if all you do is hit a drivethru for lunch by yourself. Make time to recharge your batteries, go to a park or library, just be alone and let the stress float from you during that time.

And add glitter. Glitter makes everything better.

Sending big internet hugs your way.
Thank you :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

When I feel that "want", I go to the place where my backups and samples are, I look at everything including samples, and then I may or may not pull out a sample to try out that day. I think it helps me not pull the trigger on impulse buy.
Great idea! I used a hair sample that helps define my waves which made me feel better. My sister and I went to Target and bought 90% off cat toys. I did walk around the hair aisle, but did not buy anything. I received an email asking for unopen nail polish donations for a women's conference. I'm going to go through my nail polish collection. How many pink nail polishes do I need?

I need to think out loud for a bit.

I am freaking out about going back to work. Not really about the work part. I mean, I was executive assistant to a vice president at a large medical facility for over ten years. So being a part time receptionist isn't super scary. The part I'm spazzing over is all the home stuff. My family (husband) have gotten super used to me doing everything. Laundry, cleaning, errands, maintenance, phone calls that require being on terminal hold.... and that was totally ok. I was home all day, it seemed appropriate to me that I should deal with all the sundry stuff.

But now I am going to need help. The husband will help if I ask, but I hate having to ask. I get resentful having to ask for help because I feel like it should be obvious.

And my 19yo step daughter is asking to move here with us. I love her and I want to help her, but this place is barely big enough as is. Adding another body (and her stuff) is going to be super stressful. I feel like I can't acknowledge the stress without sounding like I don't want her to come.

I think I just identified one of my triggers. I buy stuff when I feel resentful for one reason or another. Hmmmm. Solutions? Perhaps posting a list of daily or weekly household chores in a prominent place where everyone is reminded and can check them off as done? Would that eliminate having to "nag" to get things done?

It's -10 here...not wanting to go do outreach outside of my building. And when it's quiet like this, I want to shop. So I'm here, reading all the different threads, getting inspiration.

I also wrote some encouraging and reminding marks in my planner. I need to keep reminding myself...

However...I'm still kinda shopping. I'm looking at cruises for 2016-we take 1-2 vacations a year, and this is an ongoing thing I look at. We have an upcoming vacation in April, then we will go to Virginia to see friends in October. I'd like to cruise again in march 2016...but we need to pay off some bills first. I'm hoping that by doing this, I put more money towards bills, use up some stuff, and vacation more :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I am freaking out about going back to work. Not really about the work part. I mean, I was executive assistant to a vice president at a large medical facility for over ten years. So being a part time receptionist isn't super scary. The part I'm spazzing over is all the home stuff. My family (husband) have gotten super used to me doing everything. Laundry, cleaning, errands, maintenance, phone calls that require being on terminal hold.... and that was totally ok. I was home all day, it seemed appropriate to me that I should deal with all the sundry stuff.

But now I am going to need help. The husband will help if I ask, but I hate having to ask. I get resentful having to ask for help because I feel like it should be obvious.

And my 19yo step daughter is asking to move here with us. I love her and I want to help her, but this place is barely big enough as is. Adding another body (and her stuff) is going to be super stressful. I feel like I can't acknowledge the stress without sounding like I don't want her to come.

I think I just identified one of my triggers. I buy stuff when I feel resentful for one reason or another. Hmmmm. Solutions? Perhaps posting a list of daily or weekly household chores in a prominent place where everyone is reminded and can check them off as done? Would that eliminate having to "nag" to get things done?
Don't shop. It's instant gratification for an ongoing issue. Work at the schedule, create a google calendar, or just even a plain excel one. Think "controlled chaos." Deep breaths...

This almost happened to one of my cats, but I caught it before it hit total blockage (but naturally 10 minutes after my regular vet closed so I had to go to the emergency vet which cost a bunch more). He had to go on anti-anxiety medication because, for some reason, issues like this in cats are often tied to stress. It worked like a charm and although he had one relapse, he has not had any issues since 2012. But don't get me started on cats with inflammatory bowel disease. Care Credit has really saved me. Multiple times.

This time last year, I had maybe 2 nail polishes. Now I have three racks that hold 60 bottles each, and they're mostly full. This is why I need to stop buying stuff! I have not been exhibiting good judgment this year...
The cat in my profile pic? Cookie has IBS. It's awful. I know she's in pain, and she doesn't like to poop on the floor, but it's a daily struggle for us and her. We'd be lost without our little spot bot cleaner. She's so sweet...she didn't have it when I adopted her, but she's had it for 7-8 years now. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

so...I thought I had posted in this thread but posted in the other 100 days thread? I feel like we have too many floating around. i'm getting confused..... is there a benefit to making 1-10 day threads if we have a general chat going on...? =/ idk.

Anyways.. hanging in there. was tempted with gimmies from mac but did not cave! 5 days down, 360 days to go. 

The cat in my profile pic? Cookie has IBS. It's awful. I know she's in pain, and she doesn't like to poop on the floor, but it's a daily struggle for us and her. We'd be lost without our little spot bot cleaner. She's so sweet...she didn't have it when I adopted her, but she's had it for 7-8 years now. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Feeding tube cat from 2012 as well as my currently sick kitty both had/have inflammatory bowel disease.  But they had the kind that makes them throw up.  Sadly, the cat with the feeding tube lost her battle with IBD after six months.  Currently sick kitty has to go to the vet for more bloodwork today because he is not eating like he should be.  He has lasted for two years so far with this condition but it is SO stressful.  (On the other hand, spending all my money on vet bills means nothing left over for shopping...)

Well I bought something. a $2 mini bottle of OPI. I feel ashamed because I went out with my CC and bought something. So my CC has to stay in my dresser until I can trust myself with it. Time to start my count over again.

so...I thought I had posted in this thread but posted in the other 100 days thread? I feel like we have too many floating around. i'm getting confused..... is there a benefit to making 1-10 day threads if we have a general chat going on...? =/ idk.

Anyways.. hanging in there. was tempted with gimmies from mac but did not cave! 5 days down, 360 days to go. 
Yeah I get confused too and post in both threads diff updates.

I get confused between our original pledge thread and the slumber party chat, but I think that's more because usage is still a little split. The idea behind the ten day increments was that people could break it into small chunks instead of a massive time span.  

How about using a facial mask? And use your favorite body moisturizer, apply your favorite lip balm. 
I can't lift my hands to my face yet because of swelling, but I'm taking it easy and cuddling with my cats. 

Ugh i am working so hard but when i am bored I surf all the shopping sites.
Sounds like you need to find a new time-suck website. Hehe, I like Buzzfeed on youtube for that purpose. ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Does anyone know if you can use leave in conditioner instead of regular conditioner?  I have a million shampoos but may not have enough conditioner but I have like 6+ bottles of leave in and if I can get away with that I will.  I have a feeling it will not work the way I want it to but I was trying to work through my stash!  TIA!
I have so much shampoo! I am starting to wonder if I can use some of it up by using it as hand soap? What do you gals think?

I noticed over the past few days that I want to order items as a pick me up. It's stressful dealing with my sister and her myriad of issues. I picked her up to bring her back to my house for her counseling and treatments. I spent an hour and a half listening to her telling me how she is happy she is not 30 pounds overweight. She is a size 2/4. Guess who is 30 pounds overweight? Me. I wanted to order something when I came home with her to make me feel better. I've tried talking to her, but I think it is part of the mental illness.

My older son's cat is back home. He came home Thursday. I picked my sister up on Friday who will be here until Wednesday. I want to order something!!!

On the plus side she admitted on the trip to my house she is a hoarder. She trashed one of our rentals which my husband wants me to clean up. Ugh! I want one little thing. A hair mask, a pretty nail polish, just one little thing :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
I'm so sorry you're going through all of this. Just remember, buying a new pretty won't really make you feel better. Maybe try mixing two different color nail polishes on a disposable plate and paint your nails with your new, custom color!

Awww, that is awful. I can so relate. I have a massive breakout going on and just got 2 cold sores. I am sorry you feel so bad. You said you can't lift your hands to your face- what happened? Did you have to get surgery? Here's to a speedy recovery if so!

A facial mask sounds like an awesome idea! I'm going to go through my samples and see if I have any masks that would do me good tonight!!!

You just came up with an awesome solution! I think the daily and weekly household chores list is an awesome idea! I'd put it on the fridge and put a little marker next to it so people can mark them off and initial. The person with the most initials at the end of the week can choose what to eat on Friday, perhaps?

I get confused between our original pledge thread and the slumber party chat, but I think that's more because usage is still a little split. The idea behind the ten day increments was that people could break it into small chunks instead of a massive time span.  

In my opinion the threads work best broken up instead of one large one, I feel like they work like this:

~ Pinned 100-day no-buy thread: Mainly for pledging, adding your rules, and altering your rules if need be.

~100-day no-buy slumber party thread: you can just lament over random things going on that pertain to your no-buy

~10-day threads: A way for people to break it up into shorter time chunks to make it more doable, plus, you can post your small 10-day goals, or update on your progress!

In my opinion the threads work best broken up instead of one large one, I feel like they work like this:

~ Pinned 100-day no-buy thread: Mainly for pledging, adding your rules, and altering your rules if need be.

~100-day no-buy slumber party thread: you can just lament over random things going on that pertain to your no-buy

~10-day threads: A way for people to break it up into shorter time chunks to make it more doable, plus, you can post your small 10-day goals, or update on your progress!
Excellent summary! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Back