33 Days of Decluttering - November/December 2014

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Day 14:

Several clothing items that don't fit well or I just don't like.

I got sidetracked for a while because of Thanksgiving. Picking up where I left off -

11. BBW blushing cherry blossom body cream - this only has a little bit left, and I'm pretty sure it's gone bad

12. Tresseme hair spray - I haven't used it in ages, and have other hair products I like better now

Day Two:

5. Packaging from products I got in the mail.  I had just kind of piled up the packaging from stuff that came this week like a deranged rat building a nest.  I threw it all away tonight like a normal human (besides boxes, which I need to either use or toss).  

6. Ulta blush in girlie.  I've been using this because it's small and I wanted to hit pan on a blush.  But I just got in new adorable little tarte mini-blushes and I'm so excited about them.  I'm not spending more time on a blush that I'm blah about in order to hit pan while neglecting ones that thrill me.  I will give it to my little sister who will love it more than I have.  

7.  Papers that I've been carrying around in my backpack.  Why you ask?  I have no idea.  They end up in my computer compartment.  Some of them are a few semesters old.  I'm pretending my backpack is lighter now that they're gone.  

Eeek, I just realized I've forgotten to post!!  I'll post what I can remember:

metal shelving unit that was bent & twisted making it unstable-trash

part for my Little Green carpet cleaner that no longer spins-trash (kept the cleaner because it has a spare brush but we really need to get a new one because it leaks, but we have 2 pukey cats in the house, so we have to keep it until we can buy another)

2 pairs of socks-trash

4-5 white & black T-shirts that I no longer wear, I prefer tanks or camis now-donate

2 pairs PJ pants that aren't strechy and are just a hair too small to be comfy-donate

paper shredder-the part where you put the paper in was bent so the paper wouldn't go in, must have happened during the move-we won a new paper shredder at a raffle-trash

I want to get rid of my breast pump as part of this challenge but there doesn't really seem like any good option for what to do with it.  It seems wasteful to throw it away, but it seems weird to try to sell or donate it since technically it's supposed to be a single use item.  Thoughts?

I want to get rid of my breast pump as part of this challenge but there doesn't really seem like any good option for what to do with it. It seems wasteful to throw it away, but it seems weird to try to sell or donate it since technically it's supposed to be a single use item. Thoughts?
Check with your local health dept or hospital, maybe they have a program for low income families to take those kinds of donations.

I want to get rid of my breast pump as part of this challenge but there doesn't really seem like any good option for what to do with it.  It seems wasteful to throw it away, but it seems weird to try to sell or donate it since technically it's supposed to be a single use item.  Thoughts?
I actually was able to sell mine - just the pump part. I threw away all of the tubing and other parts that actually touch you/your milk. Then I included the website where replacement parts could be purchased and someone took it.

I actually was able to sell mine - just the pump part. I threw away all of the tubing and other parts that actually touch you/your milk. Then I included the website where replacement parts could be purchased and someone took it.
Thanks! Where/how did you sell it? 

Day Three:

8.  Stretched out hair binders.  I've got plenty of others so tossed these. 

9.  Old Julep lipsticks.  I liked these alright, but I have other reds I like better and these are old and turning.  So out they go.  

10.  Old headphones. These were on the fritz so I bought new ones.  I held onto the old in case I had an emergency situation, but usually one earbud goes first so I doubt I will ever have no warning.  

11. Benefit sample, too dark for me.  My roommate is slightly darker toned than me but she has similar undertones so I am going to make her try this.  (<-- sounds vaguely threatening! Yay!)

13. a bottle of calcium supplements - they've just been sitting around for ages, and I take a multivitamin that has calcium already, so I don't use them anymore.

14. Boscia black mask - it's a few years old, and broke me out

15. Philosophy moisturizer deluxe sample - almost empty, and years old

Oooh I didn't realize I was this far behind.

[SIZE=10.5pt]Day 17:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]I organized our office and got rid of a few things.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]1) Stack of magazines (Recycled)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]2) Office Supplies - No longer want/using. (Hopefully donate to a school)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]3) Miscellaneous Papers - Shredded anything that needed to be and tossed the rest. (Trash)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]I also filed our bills, receipts and any other important documents.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Day 18:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]I started on our hall closet. For some reason I have an abundance of jackets – not sure why. All of the items are in really good condition but I have others I like more so off to the donation bin they go.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]1) 2 Pairs of winter gloves (Donate)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]2) Scarf (Donate)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]3) Winter Jacket (Donate)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]4) Fall Jacket (Donate)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]5) Spring Jacket x2 (Donate)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Day 19:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]I finished our hall closet and went through all of my shoes.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]1) 2 Pairs of Flats - Worn out. (Trash)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]2) Flip Flops - Worn out. (Trash)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]3) Crocs - Yes I had a pair… :blink: [/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt](Trash)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]I didn't end up de-cluttering anything on Friday and I will report back tomorrow on anything that gets tossed this weekend.[/SIZE]

Day 15:

• More articles of clothing that I don't love (I'm starting to get brutal...I'm revisiting the closet every few days and if I don't absolutely love it, I'm getting rid of it) - Donate.
  • A bracelet that's a little too tight for me - Donate.
  • A couple of hair products that just don't work with my hair - Trash.

My de-clutter and household purge continues... I folded several loads of laundry today which were clean and just needing to be folded.  I also proceeded to fold wash a few loads of wash.  While folding some old bed sheets I don't exactly love anymore so I decided to donate to a women's shelter along with an old down filled jacket and snow suits which my kids outgrew.  (15 items - purged!)

For some silly reason I bought a bunch of boxes to organize index cards when they were on sale.  I use index cards to study.  Since then I found an app.  I put packages of index card packages inside the index card boxes and I am giving them to my classmates to study for our upcoming exams.  (48 items - purged!)

Next, I plan to donate some old glassware and possibly some old vases.  There is at least one vase I haven't used since 2002.  This stuff is just taking up valuable space and polluting my surroundings by causing visual noise.  Its needs to go!!! (roughly 6 items to purge)

My son has grown out of one clothing size and into a bigger size.  I plan to donate his too-small clothes to the daycare.  (roughly 12 items to purge)

I am contemplating going though my nail polish collection and leaving the polish I don't want in the ladies washroom in a little box near the sink at school with a sign which says "free to a good home" or similar.  Why hold onto something you don't need or won't use anymore? (roughly 12 items to purge)

While I was straightening out my house I took the box of recyclables out to my bin and it looks as though I am going to have a full bin of recyclables this week.  My garbage can is nearly full and my bin won't be empty again for five more days.  I have containers I use to store recyclables indoor.  Perhaps its time to leave the container outside next to the back door... that way I can empty it more often!

My next job - clean out my fridge. 

Spent the weekend hanging out with my husband and doing some Christmas shopping, but I am back on board now!

2 pair of socks-trash

2 coffee mugs and 1 plastic cup-donate

While we were going through the Christmas decorations I came across my husband's set of Christmas dessert plates, coffee mugs and drink glasses, so I put them in the cabinet so we can use them for the season. He actually said to me, what are we doing with these? I said, they're nice and pretty and we're going to use them! He said he bought them because he liked them years ago but never really thought about using them. So the mugs are on the mug tree next to the tea pot where we will be sure to reach for them. For me, this is the point of all this, to actually USE and ENJOY stuff we have. He said the mugs look nice hanging on the mug tree, so I'm pretty pleased with my progress. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Continuing on, I cleaned the main bathroom today and here's what I found:

2 pairs of old eyeglasses-donate

2 eyeglasses cases-donate

2 pumice stones-I never use them-trash

If anyone finds old eyeglasses when they are going through stuff, please don't toss them. They can be donated to your local Lions Club or at most (if not all) LensCrafters locations. If you don't have either near you, please call your local eye doctor or major eyeglass place, I'm sure they can direct you to where they can be donated. The is your friendly PSA for today from a proud Lions Club member wife. ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Back