33 Days of Decluttering - November/December 2014

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've missed Day 11, 12 & 13; however since I've purged more than 3 items on most days I don't feel so bad :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I was curious as to how many items I've already got rid of in the first 10 days so I counted then up...126!  :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> YAY! I've already de-cluttered more than this project entails but I'm definitely going to continue... starting tomorrow! 

Last edited by a moderator:
Day 13:

Some off-brand, made-in-China hotel shampoos and conditioners. I have so may high-end ones to get through that I really don't need to hold on to these.

A couple of short handled brushes that are coarse and rough that I NEVER reach for.

Too Faced Glamour-To-Go palette. I bought this when I first started getting into makeup, have used it a fair amount, and have also dropped it a couple of times. One color shattered away, and the bronzer is crumbling apart. I also don't think this is a very cohesive and intuitive palette, and the colors don't make a lot of sense to me. I don't think I'll miss this.

The holidays took me out for a couple of days. Back to it...

Day 9:

1. A stained shirt. Trash
  2. Old eyeglasses. Donated to Lions Club
  3. A couple more dishrags. Trash

Day 10 - Cleaned out the kitchen junk drawer and a couple of other areas:

1. Can Huggies - Donate
  2. Broken planter - Trash
  3. Table cloth - donate
  4. Worn out welcome mat - Trash
  5. Pillow - Trash
  6. Misc magnets - Trash
  7. 5 coffee mugs - Donate
  8. Melted spatula - trash
  9. Misc water bottles - donate/trash depending on the condition.

I, too, took some time off for the holiday, but I'm back on track now. This weekend we have been decorating for Christmas and we went through all the ornaments and decorations and have a storage tote of stuff to get rid of....most of the stuff is in good enough shape to donate.

Day 14 and 15:

[SIZE=10.5pt]Yesterday and today I decided to work through our kitchen. I cleaned out our cupboards and fridge and got rid of anything that is expired or open and unused. I [/SIZE]forgot to[SIZE=10.5pt] count how many items were tossed but it ended up being about ½ a garbage bag.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]I also set aside some canned and boxed goods to donate to our local food bank. Every fall and winter we go through our cupboards a few times and donate anything we can.  I added up what is going to the food bank – 2 cans of beans, an unopened jar of peanut butter, 2 boxes of pasta, 4 cans of soup, 3 cans of tuna, an unopened box of cereal and an unopened box of granola bars.[/SIZE]

Day 12:

1. Christmas garland that doesn't light anymore - trash.
  2. Outside Christmas decorations that don't light - trash.
  3. Christmas decorations - I have so many and these are some that we just don't use anymore. Donate.

[SIZE=10.5pt]Day 16:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Tonight I finished the kitchen and went through the rest of our cupboards.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]1) Tupperware containers x3 – [/SIZE]lids are nowhere to be found (Trash)

[SIZE=10.5pt]2) Spatula – cracked (Trash)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]3) Re-useable water bottles x2 – old (Trash)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]4) Coffee cup – chipped in multiple places (Trash)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]5) Plastic drinking cups x4 – we no longer use (Trash)[/SIZE]

I am so incredibly proud of my girl for her purging! She made some very good decisions for a five year old. I meant to take a picture of the pile, but my SIL already picked up a bunch for their youngest. The only issues we had weren't with her, they were with me. I had a hard time letting go of my emotional attachment to some of her baby stuff, even though I know full well she has moved on. I had to remember not to argue or second guess. If she said it should go, I had to let it be her decision. Other than a very select couple of items, I'm holding on to the memories, not the stuff. It's time to let another little one get some joy out of these things.

Day 13:

1. A bottle of nail polish that is separated. No amount of shaking will mix it up. Trash.
  2. Broken Stapler - Trash.
  3. Necklace that I'm not fond of. Donate

I am jumping in late! I hope that's OK but I thought the beginning of December and the accumulation of holiday pieces was a good time to start this.

Day one:

1. NYX above and beyond full coverage concealer in porcelain - This color didn't work for me and the concealer just sat on top of my skin.  I have others I like better so why let them go bad trying to use this one up?

2.  Tissue paper - got these in birchboxes and have been saving them to wrap gifts in.  Well I wrapped some gifts up and now I have less clutter!

3.  Empty packages - finally typed them up into my used it up thread post.  Now to start collecting more for December! (As a side note, I'm not going to count my used it up items toward my decluttering count)

4. Tupperware I accidentally stole from my old roommates.  I moved out in August and haven't remembered to give it to them and they haven't missed it.  It's now been put to use in our kitchen and is no longer cluttering up my room.  

Whoops, I'm a few days behind, but these items take me through Day 17.

1. Sanre Organic Lipbalm -- This went completely bad before I got a chance to break into it.

2. Mally Lip Magnifier lipcolor in Soft Nude -- I hate tossing brands that I like but this gave me concealer lips and I will never, ever reach for this. I can't even "make it work."

3. Two Cosmetics Duo Eyeshadow in Heartache -- Two pink eyeshadows from an ipsy bag, I believe. As one might predict, these colors gave me sick-looking eyes.

4. A large sheet pan that came from the last apartment, but now doesn't fit my small oven.

5. A remote control that went along with a long-gone, broken Blueray player, but I only realized now that it's still here.

6. Two Christmas tablecloths that have candle wax all over them, and I can't get it out.

7. A bag of unidentified ropes, and cords, which I just found. The old homeowner left these behind, and well...  weird.

8-12 Some clothes. Two belts that don't go all the way around my waist. A brand new jacket that I've never worn because when I ordered it online, I didn't notice that it had a gold tinsel thread running all throughout, making it not what I'd hoped. I couldn't return it so will donate. An old white tunic that no longer fits. And wide-legged pants that I've worn for years, but now am done with.

I just started in December because I was freaking out about the influx of crap that Christmas always brings.  Super excited for the incentive to get rid of kid clutter, but I started with some beauty stuff first.  Some of the stuff I'm technically trading but I will net the stuff in against the stuff out and make sure my final number hits above 100 because I'm a rule following nerd. 

Days 1 and 2 I went through some unused makeup and skincare for my cleaning lady.  She is an extreme couponer and has a ton of household goods, so I traded this stuff I that had been taking up space in my beauty closet forever for 3 bottles of laundry detergent (which I WILL consume).  WIN WIN.  I gave her:

1) Clean & Clear scrub (from the Fall 2014 Allure Beauty Box)

2) Clean & Clear moisturizer (from the Winter 2014 Allure Beauty Box)

3) Physician's formula shimmer strips palette (from a CVS sale like 2 years ago)

4) Physician's formula shimmer strips eyeliners (from a CVS sale like 2 years ago)

5) Julep Maven volumizing mascara (from Julep Maven in summer 2013 or so)

6) NYX Mortal Instruments gift set (bought hella cheap on sale at Ulta in August 2013)

7) Neutrogena sunless tan (from the Summer 2013 Allure Beauty Box)

8) Sally Hansen Airbrush legs (from the Fall 2013 Allure Beauty Box)

9) WEN by Chaz Dean Pomegranate Finishing Treatment Crème (from the Fall 2013 QVC New Beauty Test tube) - I sort of have remorse about giving this away but I had over a year to use it so whatever. 

10) JLo Glowing lotion (from the Kohl's beauty box)

11) Lorac eyeliners (from Hautelook) - I also didn't really want to let this one go but it's not like I don't have a zillion eyeliners, and I clearly wasn't using them and won't miss them. 

Day 3 I bought some items I had promised to various coworkers a long time ago and never delivered on.  I actually traded the blonde item for the brunette item my coworker got in the most recent Allure box, but I go through conditioners like crazy so I'm not worried about it.  I brought them:

12) Suave Moroccan infusion (from Summer 2013 Allure Beauty Box)

13) Cetaphil cleanser (from Summer 2013 Allure Beauty Box)

14) Redken Blonde Idol (from Fall 2014 Allure Beauty Box)

Back