Allure Sample Society January Spoilers and Discussion

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My lippie was broken as well, and I got a gentleman named George who insisted on sending a new box, even though I assured him everything else was fine, so I don't think it's a gender issue.

The second one came broken, too, and I emailed them the second time, so I could spell it out specifically that I did not want anything in return, because I had already gotten two full boxes, but that I did think they should know that this lipstick should probably not be sent out anymore, because it apparently doesn't mail well. They refunded my entire $15. I emailed them back and said it was not necessary, but they responded immediately and said it was a done deal.

I felt bad at first because I live way out in the woods, 20 miles on dirt roads, so things do get bounced around a lot, and I told them so. But it does sound like there were issues with this lipstick.
George has been on CS there forever and he is great.

Well, I canceled. I have been subbed to this since the very first box and I have hated the last few boxes. Most of the stuff ends up in my eBay sales box. I have the same issue with BB but BB makes up for it with the coupons and the points. I am sad.

The Revlon eye thing just looks like scratched corneas waiting to happen. No way am I putting that on my eyes.

ETA: The third ingredient in the Strivectin is Isopropyl Myristate which can clog pores and aggravate acne. I continue to avoid it, although I no longer have acne. Just giving y'all a heads up :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Last edited by a moderator:
Yay! I got my box today and for the second month, the colors shown on my dashboard don't match the box contents, but it worked out well for me this month. I received the mint polish/Tiana and peach Revlon variation (my dashboard shows blue polish/Rayne and the blue Revlon). Out of all the options, I would have chosen the mint/peach combo.

I'm excited to try the soap, and laughed when I saw the size. It's OK though, because it's adorable.

I'm intrigued by the Strivectin serum, although I'm having trouble finding information about it online. It doesn't seem to be on the Strivectin site? I have some on the inside of my arm at the moment to see if my skin reacts to it, and so far so good.

The Philip B will get used, but doesn't really excite me, ditto the Philosophy.

I'm also not sure what to make of the Revlon product. At least on my hand, the cream shadow sheers out nicely if you work fast, looks like foil if you don't, and seems pretty budge-proof once it's set. The glitter end...is a glitter bomb. I don't have any upcoming raves on my schedule, so I doubt that end will get used. The applicators on the Revlon product are a bit strange. The glitter end has a small, pointed applicator, which seems reasonable to draw it over some black liner or whatever, while the cream shadow end has a flocked applicator that looks like someone squished a doe foot applicator flat. It's a little floppy and hard to not get a huge blob of shadow when you remove it from the tube. I flipped it around so that the small brush is on the cream shadow side, and it looks pretty awesome as a metallic liquid liner (or would if I could draw a straight line).

Well that was enough to make me decide to list my Peach Prism on MSA. I'm 40, glitter should not be part of my life unless it is maybe on a necklace or something far from my face :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I put on the glitter side today.  But, I only lined my eyes with it.  The applicator on the glitter side doesn't require my using a different brush. I toned it down with regular eyeliner.  I just have a few sparkles here and there.  Not a full on disco ball look. I think this would be fun for a night time shindig where just a little dab will do ya.  Fun to play with.  But, not something to put in the everyday routine.  

The bar soap is definitely small but very dense.  It will last a long time. 

Update on the Revlon Glitter:  Taking it off was not pleasant.  Very abrasive stuff.  Some got in my eye. Yeah, I gave it a good attempt but, will stick the with other end/non glitter side of this "art".

I am totally fangirling over the Zoya polish right now - it lasted all weekend long (with jamberry wraps topping my 3 main 'chip' nails) with only 2 chips. The color is growing on me too.

I got the peach Revlon and the pink nail Polish (Eden), despite having the blue of each shown on my Dashboard. I'd have been fine with either, but the peach will suite my eyes better ( blue on blue is usually not good)

Soap is the cutest thing ever!

My box came! I never even looked t my dashboard, but I received the mint (Tiana) Zoya polish and the copper (it does NOT look peach to me but - Peach Prism) Revlon. I am very happy with those variations because they are what I would have chosen for myself, and that I am most likely to use. I love the blue cream Zoya, as well, but I already have a similar color, that is the only other one that was tempting me.

I am super excited to try out the StriVectin and the adorable soap bar (although it is nearly too cute to use) because I think both will work well for my skin. I've sampled the Phillip B. in Glossybox, and I don't care for it, so that and the Philosophy will be given away.

But it is so odd how there isn't an info page for the StriVectin in the booklet - I love reading the write-ups and I wonder why it didn't get one. A last minute addition, perhaps?

I received by box over the weekend and I'm pleased that I got Revlon in peach prism and not in the blue variation (I have never been able to rock blue shadows-maybe it's a confidence thing?).

Also excited to finally try out a StriVectin product. I've been using the serum daily and while it is too early to tell if it helping to even out my skin tone I definitely like how smoothly it applies and how quickly it absorbs.

I also tried out the Philip B conditioner and my color-treated and flat iron-abused hair liked it! Too bad I really only had enough of the conditioner for one application. Just curious why people are so meh about the Philip B conditioner?

@ Regarding the Philip B. - I got a (much bigger) deluxe sample size in a Glossybox, so I was able to use it about seven applications. It was so thin, it didn't do the heavy conditioning I prefer for my hair, so it is not something I want or need to use again. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> It wasn't a bad product, just not my taste!

My box arrived and I got the Zoya in pink and the Revlon in peach. Love the pink color, though I'm one of the few who would have preferred blue! I was hoping the Revlon might be close enough to my skin tone, but it's too warm, so I'll see if one of my sisters wants it. I think I'll use everything but the Strivectin (it has alcohol in it).

I got the blue variation. Love the nail polish (so happy I got one of the colors with shimmer!), but I'm not so excited about the blue eyeshadow. Maybe it'll get me out of my comfort zone?

Oddly enough, my StriVectin box was empty. I was especially confused since it wasn't in the spoilers and there was no info about it in the booklet. I don't think I care enough to ask for a replacement, though.

@@sisipie eh, I'd let them know. You paid for this box, and should get what you everyone else got. The lipstick I got is not one I'd ever wear, but I let them know it was broken. 

You can always give/trade it.

I got my box yesterday!  I got the blue/blue combo.  Love the shimmery blue polish, it's not a shade I would ever have bought as I usually prefer dark colors, but I love it!  It's going on my toes this weekend.  The blue Revlon is not something I am even remotely interested in.  I'll pass it along to a friend.  The little soap is adorable, I tried it last night and really liked it.  Not enough to pay $43 for soap though.  The Philip B I'll use on my daughters hair, my hair is super long and thick and that little tube wouldn't cover half of it.  But my daughter has fine hair cut in a bob so she'll probably get 3-4 uses out of it.  Haven't tried the Strivectin or Philosophy yet, but I'm looking forward to both.  All in all, this was a great box for me!

got my box!  It's different than  my dashboard and I'm glad!  I didn't want the blue Revlon, I wanted the peach and thats what I got :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

That soap is tiny but I can't wait to use it.  Plus beauty.com had a Erno Laszlo gift set free with a $10 purchase so I totally got another one.

I didn't get the StriVectin in my box. I know it was a bonus item but wahhh! I also got the blue eyeshadow combo and the light blue nail Polish. I didn't think I would like the color of the nail Polish at first but I tried it on my niece and it reminds me of a mermaid. I kinda like it. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I can't bring myself it try the eyeshadow combo though. I'll save it for Halloween incase I decide to go as Mimi from The Drew Carey show

I wasn't a fan of this box - luckily, I got it for $10. I cancelled my subscription, but plan on coming back in a couple of months, if I like the spoilers!

That Revlon product was the WORST (for me). That big fat brush applied the product messily over my eyelids. I looked pretty scary! I can't really think of a time when I'd want to smear my eyelids with bright gold...

Just in case anyone was on the fence about the Revlon gold/black duo, I managed to do a decent application this morning (applied a little gold with the skinny side and spread with another brush) and it is not an eyeshadow you want on if you're going to the gym later.  Runs like heck and stings the eyeballs. With intense workouts 5x weekly since June, this is the first product I've had act this way.

Back