Days 11-20 of 100 day No Buy Challenge

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I don't have a credit card until they send me a new one in 7-10 business days.
This is OT but I think it's crazy how long most places take to send you a new cc if your number gets stolen. When that happened to me, my bank was going to use 2 day shipping. But then the guy realized it was a holiday weekend so I wouldn't get it until Tuesday. That would have been fine by me but he overnighted it and I got it Saturday instead! Tl,dr- my bank is awesome.

And you deserve a latte after that, don't worry about it!

Oops double post!

In related news, I tried a new perfume sample today and I'm not sure about it. It's not awful, but it smells a little too perfume-y and not like me. It will end up in the trash.

I've been trying to get through my skincare foils but I need to slow down a bit. My skin can be sensitive and it does not like all the new products. I can get away with something new every couple days, but not everyday.

Last edited by a moderator:
I ended up ordering two winter hats and two shirts for my kids who aren't twins but love to match. With all the promos and stacking I ended up spending $2.78. Not bad and I don't feel guilty since they needed hats.

Screenshot_2015-01-14-17-59-35-1.png

This is OT but I think it's crazy how long most places take to send you a new cc if your number gets stolen. When that happened to me, my bank was going to use 2 day shipping. But then the guy realized it was a holiday weekend so I wouldn't get it until Tuesday. That would have been fine by me but he overnighted it and I got it Saturday instead! Tl,dr- my bank is awesome.

And you deserve a latte after that, don't worry about it!
Continuing the OT. It is crazy! They offered to rush it to me with 2 day shipping....for a $16 fee! No thank you!  I live close to where they are sending from, so I'm hoping for more like 5 days.   And it keeps me from spending, so it's not all bad.  

Continuing the OT. It is crazy! They offered to rush it to me with 2 day shipping....for a $16 fee! No thank you!  I live close to where they are sending from, so I'm hoping for more like 5 days.   And it keeps me from spending, so it's not all bad.  
Yeah, I guess the best time to have your credit card number stolen is during a no-buy!

I accomplished a lot today (and it's about 5 pm here, so I'm about to tell myself I'm "off work" and not do anything the rest of the night!)

I cleaned our 1/2 bath, including part of the wall where one of my sons decided to play with the Scentsy plug-in wax warmer and ended up splashing wax all over the wall, the hardwood floor, and even the hand towel holder.  UGH.  Thank goodness for Pinterest, because I was going to spend HOURS chipping that stuff off!  Instead, I took my hair dryer, put it on low, and pointed it at the wall.  As the wax softened, I wiped it off with a paper towel.  SO EASY.  

Then I went to the office to clean out my desk (got the floor cleaned/holiday stuff out Monday) and a bin of items, and found so. much. craft. stuff.  No lie, I should not buy stickers til about 2063.  At first I was mad at myself, because the piles of stuff represent so much money spent over the years, but I decided to see it as now I don't have to spend money in the *future* on stuff and I'll have plenty of things to use for keeping the kids entertained over the summer.  (like 2000 Cars stickers.)

I'm now about 2/3 of the way through my goals of cleaning the office & bathrooms.  And as every room in my house starts looking better, it's making me feel better.  It's giving me the strength to resist buying makeup and beauty items when I decide I'd rather spend the money on a shoe rack for the coat closet, or a drawer unit to hold my craft stuff.  And now, my only hope is that I'll be able to NOT become addicted to buying organizational stuff!  

14 Days Down!  86 left to go! We got this!

Well, I have had online shopping carts filled up four different times already and we're only two weeks in, but I have been able to empty them all. No rules have been broken. None of the shopping carts were big orders, and I didn't buy anything, but it makes me nervous that I have done this.

I went on to take my credit card number off the account on three out of the four websites to make it more difficult for myself. The fourth place I frequently buy things other than what I'm trying to avoid on my no-buy, so it will have to stay.

What is making this tolerable for me right now is having new empties. Having new empties has replaced having new pretties. Maybe that is not the best state of mind for the long term, but it is where I am at right now.

In positive news, I have accomplished or am on target with almost all of my day 11-20 goals. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Well, I have found my winner amongst all the BB creams in my stash! From now on I will only repurchase Missha Perfect Cover #13. If it were non-scented it would be perfection itself, but the fragrance has never caused any reaction or skin irritation so that is a win. It beat out Dr Jart's Black Label and Premium, Skin79 the Oriental Gold Cream, and Smashbox. The Missha is the only one light enough for my NC15 skin, and it had a high SPF of 42.

The rest of my BB creams are a smidge too dark so I will use them on my forearms as my sunscreen and bonus freckle cover. They don't obliterate the freckles from view, but at least softens the appearance of them.

I realized that for the past year I have used all high-end mascara samples, so tomorrow I am opening a drugstore one from my stash, I don't want to get stuck on an all high-end mindset.

My high end palettes and lipsticks are all being used in rotation so they aren't being saved for a special occasion.

I've tried all my different foundations to get down to just one Holy Grail of each type I prefer, which means no more wasting money trying every new thing out there. Mine are Powder Foundation= MAC Studiofix Powder+Foundation NC15, BB Cream = MIssha Perfect Cover #13, and for stick foundation=

Flower Cosmetics Stick Foundation in #SF1. The stick can also double as a concealer for my rosesea, but not for underye area.

Progress, slow, but it is still progress.

Checking in for day 13 and 14 today, and I need to be in bed in 8 minutes so I'm trying to write this up quickly. No purchases, I've been sticking to my Monday Club plans, though even with the greasy moisturizer my mineral foundation isn't the same as when I put it on during the summer, but it's better. I admittedly kind of like just having one face for the entire week, I did some tweaking from my initial plans, but I found a very neutral looking face that I like the look of and I can put it on lickity split because I know what I'm doing.

There have been some temptations, a lot of indie companies are reopening and having sales which is very tempting, but so far so good.

This is my last day of having to go to bed at 8:30 for science though, so I'm glad. I feel like once the hours of sleep I need to get goes down my life will feel a little more manageable. 

Doing well!!!! Had to buy something but 1) it was $5. 2) I legitimately needed it...in short, I am extremely picky on lower lash mascara. I thought mine had some life left. Yesterday it smelled really, really, really off. So I had to replace it. But I didn't buy anything else while at target! Go me!!

Have some stuff coming in the mail (pre approved subs) tomorrow so that is exciting. Empties list is going sooooo well this month! I have some stuff I'm trying to use in addition to my normal project pan (like a mini side project maybe?) and that's going well!

Slacking on face masks though. Tomorrow for sure!

I tossed some hotel type sample shampoo today.  I don't know why I keep these.  I can never resist free!  They are always so horrible, I need to break the habit.  I'm also using a  new shadow every day that I wear make-up so I can get an idea of my favorites.  I have so many I've never tried. 

Day 14 check in!  Two weeks in yay!  Today was a hectic day running, running, running so no time to think about shopping!

I got in my BB today and the CS box.  I think I will be good for a few days lol.

Another night at spinning.  I think I am going to buy some shoes for the class.  I need to do some research though.

I cannot believe January is half over?  Wasn't it just Christmas?!!  Where does time go?!

I haven't worn any makeup this week, so I've just been working on some of my 10 day goals. I got my stuff to review organized, and I'm almost done with the hand cream I said I would finish this week. I also got started organizing my FCS stuff into a new container I bought, and I ordered some smaller organizer trays for my indie stuff. I realized I needed to read about an hour a day to finish another book in these 10 days, so I'm making way on that. And I won't be home this weekend, so I actually only have tonight, tomorrow, and Friday to get some of my other goals done, so I need to get started!

Ok, let me tell yall how proud I am of myself! So about 6 months ago, I bought a 3-drawer storage organizer because with the way I was shopping for beauty products and with all the samples I was getting, I knew my stash was getting bigger and I needed to prepare. Also, in the midst of studying for my PhD comps, I started feeling anxious and bought a whole bunch of lipsticks/beauty products over the course of a 3 month period, particularly from WalMart.

So over the past few months, I've been trying/wearing some of the lipsticks/beauty products and even tho I wasn't feeling some of them, I never thought to return them. Well today, since I'm on this No Beauty Buy Challenge and I'm trying to downsize my inventory, I decided to return the lipsticks I weren't particularly fond of, as well as the 3-drawer storage organizer I never used (because really my stash isn't big enough for it). I got a total of $42 back! They even accepted a two year old lipstick! :lol: Anyway, I was so proud of myself. As soon as I got the money, I thought about rewarding myself with a new skincare item but then I remembered how many skincare items/samples I ALREADY have that I need to use up.

I'm gonna finish going through some of my products (I have hair products, nail polishes, etc) that I want to return to WalMart/Target and return them by next week. I've decided to put all the money I get back towards getting the $100 hair steamer I've always wanted it but never bought because it was such a high price item. But all the money I spend on beauty products that I never finish or end up not liking, I could've gotten the steamer that would make my curls magnificent! lol.

I finished getting all my boxes from the Last Fling of 2014. I got my January Glossybox too, and I am enjoying it so very much. Normally I do not use or enjoy my beauty boxes this much. I will barely use them, because I'm always switching around, searching for the perfect sub box, wondering if another one is better. But since I am not allowed to add new subs during this challenge, I can just focus on the Glossybox and can really enjoy it for the first time. I just got paid and am ready to pay a bunch of monthly bills.

Wow we are already on Day 15! 

When I decided I will return a hair spray which has $4 return value to Ulta yesterday, the first thought was "I CAN GET THAT LIPSTICK" - I had one drugstore lipstick I wanted to buy for over 3 months already, but my lip product counts in my inventory is highest, and I wanted to wait till I finish at least one lipstick- But then, I realized I am in this thing with all you ladies. So when I walked into Ulta, I bought facial wipes because I was running out of them which was $5 so I walked out paying $1. Sure, the cashier lady was not as excited as I was, but hey- my money is my money. 

So, I am starting my day 15 on a positive mood-- Will keep checking in to hear your stories and thoughts!

Back