Days 11-20 of 100 day No Buy Challenge

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. Wear two different nail colors this week (did them tonight but I have to wash my hair tomorrow so I know they'll need to be completely redone prolly by Wednesday).

Wash my hair and use at least three different products from my samples stash (Beauty Protector Leave-In, deep conditioning mask, and ?)
Come up with night and face regimen and only put those products out on my bathroom counter. Otherwise I have so many products I end up just using whatever and I'm not consistent enough to know what products are or aren't making a difference.
Give away 1 sample a week that I see people want when we trade. I won't tell them that I'm including extras, it'll be a surprise. And these extras won't be foils but actual products they have listed that I know I'll never use. No need for me to keep so many samples.
Find an efficient way to organize my beauty products.
Inventory my beauty products.
Meet my deadlines for my assignments (this is school related).
Email 10 more cosmetic companies for samples that I truly want.
Return beauty products I brought from Walmart almost two month ago.
Rearrange/straighten my room and closet.

My goals are just to not spend money. lol.

No, in all seriousness, here's some of my goals:

1. stop chewing my nails! I was doing so well the last 10 days or so (and even the last 2 months) but went through a horrible episode of anxiety over some life stuff and I'm a serial nail biter when I am anxious...so now I have no pretty manicured nails. The goal is to give my cuticles some love and make sure my nails get some attention so I can coax them back to life.

2. Spending wise: no spending. 365 days of project pan is doing well and, although I do not very strictly enforce a no/low-buy, I have done well in keeping myself accountable towards that goal. My birthday is around the corner so I MIGHT allow myself a purchase for that occasion, but for now, holding strong. 

3. Weekly spas: I need to do this! so the goal is 2 at home spas/pampering days for the next 10 days....hopefully it'll start helping in the de-stressing department.

4. Find things to help me stay occupied. Part of why I buy makeup is out of sheer boredom and monotony. I find myself navigating towards my vanity and rearranging, playing with makeup, or just cleaning when I am bored, but makeup is not something to hold to a shrine.. it's just makeup. plus that only gives me time to find "holes" in my collection that should be filled, which is dangerous because I do not need another eyeshadow palette =| So my goal is...find something productive to do when I am bored: read a book, pick up a hobby...something.

5. Exercise! I didn't do it today...oops... but I need to get up a little earlier (ughhhh so hard), and even if it's just stretching or warming up for 15 minutes....I need to do something. I spend far too much time in a sedentary position and it's affecting my health. 

6. Organize my closet...clean and donate any clothes that can be cleaned...mend the ones that I can still wear/enjoy, but have things that need to be done (replace a button, etc), instead of trashing. 

Days 1-10 = GREAT SUCCESS. 

Did not buy anything make up related except for something for an exchange (which was on my exceptions). 

Didn't finish organizing my makeup room, but I got a good chunk done!

Basically wore make up every single day and have been using new things/things I don't usually use. 

I did make a purchase today and may make another one later, but that was with the $$ I set aside for my birthday (also an exception). 

11-10 Goals:

1) Finish organizing make up room AND bathroom closet/cupboards. 

2) Post pictures in the FOTD thread to keep myself accountable on wearing make up and not using the same things all the time. 

3) Continue with new meal planning + work outs (not shopping/make up related, but it keeps me busy and keeps my mind off of shopping)

4) Start listing things for sale. I have a box full of brand new stuff that needs to go! Put all this $$ into savings. 

I have three time-consuming errands that I've been putting off. I also have three days off this week, so my goal is to do at least one of the errands. I'm not sure I'll have a 20-day goal, because my birthday is coming up at the end of the month. I have Ulta and Sephora free gifts to redeem, plus I'll probably ask my fiance for something beauty-related. A day 11-20 reward seems silly on top of birthday stuff.

I'm also going to go to bed by midnight every night. I have an intimidatingly large to-do list and staying up too late is one of the easiest ways to wear myself out without accomplishing anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did well for the first 10 days! (I only bought things for an exchange, which is allowed). So for days 11-20 my goals are:

1. Wear more eyeliner: I normally just wear eyeshadow, but I have some eyeliners that I want to use more. If I'm going to be out for less than 3 hours, then I'm going to use the pencil liners I have; if I'm going to be out for a longer period of time then I can use my darker eyeshadows to line my eyes (because I'm worried about smudging).

2. Paint toe nails once every 10 days. I normally use nail polish on my fingernails 2-3 times a week, but only paint my toe nails once a month. Since I have quite a bit of nail polish, I want to increase the frequency.

3. Wear eyeshadow and a lip product even if I'm not going out. Continue to document which eyeshadows I wear so that I get a decent rotation through my stash, play with different colors/looks, and remind myself of how much I have.

I've been really busy since the start of the year, so my urge to buy makeup has actually been low (which is a good thing!) :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

As part of my friend's Biology experiment I will be getting 9 hours of sleep tonight so I am preparing to go to bed. I have completed everything I need to do today, just a little pre-bed pampering.

I got orders under the spoiler.

A bunch of my pretty orders from before the New Year started came in today, and my i+ta sub as well. I finally got an indie primer, and it came with a sample from the Live or Die collection which was one of the things I was really twitchy about! Plus, now I have an incredibly tangible amount of eyeshadows to look at. 

Not feeling too much of a need to shop because I just got so many things today, but I am panicking for unknown reasons right now which makes me want to shop as a distraction even though there is very little I am actually looking for. Instead, I am going to swatch my eyeshadows, apply some destress lotion, and get ready for bed. Typing all this out actually helped some too. 

Still holding strong, go me! And good job everybody!!

11-20 goals:

5 foils

Finish: backstreet makeup teenage wasteland

Use: MUFE Aqua eyes liner in black every day. I want this gone this month, time to wear more eyeliner!

Get one more bead organizer for indie samples and de-baggy them.

No eating out except for date night (semi fail on this last week. But it was 1 night, not like 5 so improvement?)

Eat breakfast every day

No buying makeup!

Day 12 and no shopping for me but the hallucinations(?) are setting in.  I totally fantasized about going shopping today.  I imagined rolling up to the store, leisurely walking around and looking at everything, then putting the stuff in my hot little hands and checking out.  Don't know what I bought in my little day dream/fantasy but it felt so good.

I am doing good on my to do list and was happy I got to go to a spinning class at the gym tonight even if I heard the worst ever music mash up.  Guns N Roses "Sweet Child of Mine" and The Killers "Mr. Brightside."  My brain is still scarred every time I think about it!  Other wise the music was good and I enjoyed the class.  Well until I wake up tomorrow :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Hope everyone's week is off to a great start!  I for one am happy I have a 3 day weekend coming up, a hair appt and relaxation!

No shopping, but I did work on my inventory.  I have 1 more drawer to do, plus my lotions plus whatever I decide to move out of my overpacked makeup box.  I'm not going to do it on stuff that I literally look at everyday, though.  I did kill off one sample, a Hempz shampoo.  And I have a Urban Decay Primer that will be done this week.

I also got 1 shipment of my storage drawers.  The other one says it will arrive by 1/15-1/16.  At this point, I'm pretty certain they will have to express ship it to get it here on time.  If it's not here, they will be getting a nasty email.  The box I got today was already opened, but nothing looks missing thankfully.

I got my department store charge bill, and they stuffed a tempting beauty ad in there! This is my smallest credit card bill, and my goal is to have it paid off by the end of this no buy, which should be easy. I also want to close the account permanently. I opened the charge to get the Estee Lauder holiday train case. I use the case for storage, but have not even touched the makeup yet. I should focus on using it, especially the large palette.

I used my bronzer as a crease shade today (why did I never think to do this?!) and it's the perfect warm shade without going overboard or being hard to blend... which makes sense, considering it's meant to go seamlessly on the cheeks...so it works gorgeous on the lid. I think I might have found a 2nd use for my bronzer and now it makes me shake my head at how much moolah I've spent looking for the PERFECT crease shade when all along I had it in my 2.99 NYC sunny bronzer. =| 

p.s: I know certain things are not eye safe, but I don't feel too bad since the color is in my crease, so far enough away from my actual lid/eye area to cause any irritation of any kind. I wore it today and will see how my skin reacts, though, but I feel pretty safe since it's on top of an eyeshadow primer and base....so there's a layer between the product and my skin. 

Hey ladies!!! Good news, I already did a lot of the items on my list for this 11-20 days!!!

I'll explain later! But I'm so glad for getting some of these finaincial goals done.

Also, today is the first day I can say I'm not really tempted by anything. Well, I still want things, but I'm not thinking about them all the time and dreaming up online carts and stuff. I'm not actively in stress from wanting.

I know I'll be running out of cotton rounds soon, and I'm debating whether or not I have time to cut and sew these flannel sheets to use and rewash.... or if I should just replenish them and go back to the cut and sew method when I'm less busy.... AKA when I finish my master's thesis!!! I think I'll just repurchase because there is so much else going on I'm not sure I'll have time, but at the same time, it would be good for me to do something with my hands... so I don't know!! What do you ladies think? It involves cutting flannel blankets, matching up two sides and then sewing them together on the edges. If I don't match up two and sew, they won't last long in the wash....

My goals are just to not spend money. lol.

1. stop chewing my nails! I was doing so well the last 10 days or so (and even the last 2 months) but went through a horrible episode of anxiety over some life stuff and I'm a serial nail biter when I am anxious...so now I have no pretty manicured nails. The goal is to give my cuticles some love and make sure my nails get some attention so I can coax them back to life.

Hehe! Yes, I need help with your #1 too. I don't chew my nails, but I pick at the skin around my nails- like the cuticles and the parts that wrap around the nail on either side. I am going to try to hold off my goal of wearing nail polish until I can get those babies nice and moisturized and healed up. I'm using hand creams and nail oils and cuticle balms.

2) Post pictures in the FOTD thread to keep myself accountable on wearing make up and not using the same things all the time. 

4) Start listing things for sale. I have a box full of brand new stuff that needs to go! Put all this $$ into savings. 
Yeah girl, join me in the FOTD! I feel like such a ham since no on else is post, hahah!

Also, I really need to list things for sale too. I just had to spend lots of money on keeping my finances in check (contributed to my Roth IRA for this year, paid my car insurance for 6 months, and paid off my credit card in full.... all that togehter was $7,850!!!!! :excl: :sick: So even for my allowable spending, I need to get some cash fast and start replenishing my savings.

As part of my friend's Biology experiment I will be getting 9 hours of sleep tonight so I am preparing to go to bed. I have completed everything I need to do today, just a little pre-bed pampering.

Not feeling too much of a need to shop because I just got so many things today, but I am panicking for unknown reasons right now which makes me want to shop as a distraction even though there is very little I am actually looking for. Instead, I am going to swatch my eyeshadows, apply some destress lotion, and get ready for bed. Typing all this out actually helped some too. 
How did the 9 hours go?

What has helped me with the shopping anxiety is to try different things- go on a walk, watch something on netflix, flip through magazines and clip out images that inspire you, then paste them into a notebook, or read, or brush my dog's fur. Heheh it's not easy, exactly, but it does help ease those feelings.

Eat breakfast every day

Good one! This is one I need to keep on. I think eating a high-protein breakfast really helps keep our willpower strong and gives us lots of energy the rest of the day! For a good and super fast breakfast, I love this:

Quaker-Protein.png

I am doing good on my to do list and was happy I got to go to a spinning class at the gym tonight even if I heard the worst ever music mash up.  Guns N Roses "Sweet Child of Mine" and The Killers "Mr. Brightside."  My brain is still scarred every time I think about it!  Other wise the music was good and I enjoyed the class.  Well until I wake up tomorrow :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Hahah, that music cracked me up. I don't know Mr. Brightside, but I hate Sweet Child of Mine. Yikes! Sorry to anyone who likes it, it just really grates on my nerves!!!! I'd love to do a spinning class one day. I think I'll try to join a gym this year! I love zumba but I've been running lately, but it's hard to keep it up with the crazy weather!

No shopping, but I did work on my inventory.  I have 1 more drawer to do, plus my lotions plus whatever I decide to move out of my overpacked makeup box. 
Good job on your inventory!!!

I used my bronzer as a crease shade today (why did I never think to do this?!) and it's the perfect warm shade without going overboard or being hard to blend... which makes sense, considering it's meant to go seamlessly on the cheeks...so it works gorgeous on the lid. I think I might have found a 2nd use for my bronzer and now it makes me shake my head at how much moolah I've spent looking for the PERFECT crease shade when all along I had it in my 2.99 NYC sunny bronzer. =| 
I hate thinking of all the money I've spent searching for the perfect this or that, only to find something cheap from NYX or Wet 'n' Wild was perfect. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> If it helps any, I love NYC sunny bronzer too. Hehehe, I know it doesnt. :glasses:

I used my bronzer as a crease shade today (why did I never think to do this?!) and it's the perfect warm shade without going overboard or being hard to blend... which makes sense, considering it's meant to go seamlessly on the cheeks...
I need to start doing this.  I have SO MUCH bronzer.  SO MUCH.  And it's not something I use on my cheeks, ever.  (Got it in GWPs, sets, etc.)

I'm doing good so far! The new Sephora code had me looking through my wish list to find something to buy. After going through my stash, I just don't want anything and none of the promo samples appealed to me anyway! Easy no-buy!

I'm on day 4 of perfume samples and so far I like all of them! I have a feeling there are quite a few I won't like but I'm waiting until my days off to try them. That way I can wash them off if they start to annoy me.

I love the idea of using bronzer as eye shadow. I don't really wear bronzer (I'm pretty fair and I think they just make me look dirty) but I have several from sets and promos. I can definitely rock a bronzey eye though!

Does anyone have suggestions for black eye shadow? I have a lot of palettes that include black but I don't really wear smokey eyes. I know you can use it as eyeliner but I prefer colored liners and it would take me years to use them up anyway!

I have our biggest bathroom (the master) completely clean, and I'm about 1/2 done with the office!  For the rest of the week I'll keep concentrating on getting the bathrooms done (definitely doing the 1/2 bath next, much less work!) and finishing up the office.  When I get bored with those, I'll work on getting my kids clothes into the new drawers.  

The spare bedroom is colder than the rest of the house, so I'm waiting for it to warm up a bit (yay for warmer weather this weekend!) before tackling that and the donations, which are currently in the spare room. I also have not made purchases, even though I've been tempted (SO TEMPTED) by items that are limited, or being discontinued, or on sale... I'm just trying to realize that I'll always be tempted.  But I don't have to give in.  

Yay for our next set of goals!  Here are mine:

No-Buy:  Maintain!  I did a great job in the first 10 days, only buying my one "exception" item.  So I have a one package arriving this week, which will be added to my "brand new" pile.  I've committed myself to trying all of my brand new items at least once over the 100 days, and not save makeup for a "special occasion".

Bathrooms:  I keep up with everyday cleaning, but all of them need a deep cleaning after the holidays!  I'm really bad about saying "ehhhh I'll get to that later" and then forgetting, so I'm putting it here to keep me accountable!  And giving myself a bubble bath as a reward after each one is sparkly clean!

Office:  One of the coolest features of our house is having an office.  It's a spacious room, and hubby and I each have a desk in there.  It's also become the dumping ground for the first floor!  I'm cleaning out my half, and once my husband gets home from his business trip, he's promised me he'll do his half.  So my goal is 1/2 of a clean office?  Sure, that'll work.

Kid's Room:  We recently got them a bunk bed set with built-in drawers.  What I didn't realize is the drawers are TINY.  But now that I recently discovered vertical folding (mentioned in the 1-10 day thread, you can also look up "vertical shirt folding" on either Pinterest or Google), I'm going to see if I can't get a bunch of their shirts into the drawers.  

Spare Bedroom (and accompanying closet):  This is the upstairs "dumping ground".  I already got all the throw pillows out of there, now I need to sort through everything and figure out what DOES belong in there!

Donations:  I sorted out a TON of clothing to donate in the first 10 days.  But knowing me, it'll sit in a pile in the spare bedroom til spring!  So my goal is to take at least one carload to our local thrift shop this week!

p.s: I know certain things are not eye safe, but I don't feel too bad since the color is in my crease, so far enough away from my actual lid/eye area to cause any irritation of any kind. I wore it today and will see how my skin reacts, though, but I feel pretty safe since it's on top of an eyeshadow primer and base....so there's a layer between the product and my skin. 
I was doing that a lot with bronzers and highlighters before my eyeshadow collection grew to the monstrosity it is today.

Does anyone have suggestions for black eye shadow? I have a lot of palettes that include black but I don't really wear smokey eyes. I know you can use it as eyeliner but I prefer colored liners and it would take me years to use them up anyway!
Same here, regarding the new code.

I have the same issue with black eyeshadow. I don't use it to line my eyes because I prefer dark brown or grey for that. So I have literally no idea what to do with the black eyeshadow. I can't use it in my hairline- too dark. I can't use it for.... hardly anything except as liner. I might try a smokey eye with it this weekend....

Hey ladies!!! Good news, I already did a lot of the items on my list for this 11-20 days!!!

I'll explain later! But I'm so glad for getting some of these finaincial goals done.

Also, today is the first day I can say I'm not really tempted by anything. Well, I still want things, but I'm not thinking about them all the time and dreaming up online carts and stuff. I'm not actively in stress from wanting.

I know I'll be running out of cotton rounds soon, and I'm debating whether or not I have time to cut and sew these flannel sheets to use and rewash.... or if I should just replenish them and go back to the cut and sew method when I'm less busy.... AKA when I finish my master's thesis!!! I think I'll just repurchase because there is so much else going on I'm not sure I'll have time, but at the same time, it would be good for me to do something with my hands... so I don't know!! What do you ladies think? It involves cutting flannel blankets, matching up two sides and then sewing them together on the edges. If I don't match up two and sew, they won't last long in the wash....
If you have pinking shears, you can just cut them up and they will work without sewing. I've washed mine several times now with minimal fraying. Of course, if you don't have pinking shears, you'd have to buy some, but they are useful things to have.

Not going to lie, the current Zoya promo is tempting me.  Even though I already have almost 180 nail polishes.  I don't need another one (or six).

I'm not going to buy and should probably simply unsubscribe from their list.  I am sure if they have a promo after the no buy is up, I would be able to find it here.

I was able to totally ignore an Ulta GWP promo e-mail today or yesterday.  But that Zoya one keeps haunting me.

Edit: Find it "here" as on MUT, not in this particular thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
  1. Wear two different nail colors this week (did them tonight but I have to wash my hair tomorrow so I know they'll need to be completely redone prolly by Wednesday).
  2. Wash my hair and use at least three different products from my samples stash (Beauty Protector Leave-In, deep conditioning mask, and ?)
  3. Come up with night and face regimen and only put those products out on my bathroom counter. Otherwise I have so many products I end up just using whatever and I'm not consistent enough to know what products are or aren't making a difference.
  4. Give away 1 sample a week that I see people want when we trade. I won't tell them that I'm including extras, it'll be a surprise. And these extras won't be foils but actual products they have listed that I know I'll never use. No need for me to keep so many samples.
  5. Find an efficient way to organize my beauty products.
  6. Inventory my beauty products.
  7. Meet my deadlines for my assignments (this is school related).
  8. Email 10 more cosmetic companies for samples that I truly want.
  9. Return beauty products I brought from Walmart almost two month ago.
  10. Rearrange/straighten my room and closet.
I love your #4- that is so generous and kind!

If you have pinking shears, you can just cut them up and they will work without sewing. I've washed mine several times now with minimal fraying. Of course, if you don't have pinking shears, you'd have to buy some, but they are useful things to have.
Hmm, wow I hadn't thought of that! Wonderful idea, I'll see if my Mom has any. I definitely don't. I'll check prices as well, but if she doesn't and the cost is over $10, then I'll just stick to repurchasing cotton rounds until I have more time to DIY my own reusable ones. Thanks!!!!

Not going to lie, the current Zoya promo is tempting me.  Even though I already have almost 180 nail polishes.  I don't need another one (or six).

I'm not going to buy and should probably simply unsubscribe from their list.  I am sure if they have a promo after the no buy is up, I would be able to find it here.

I was able to totally ignore an Ulta GWP promo e-mail today or yesterday.  But that Zoya one keeps haunting me.

Edit: Find it "here" as on MUT, not in this particular thread.
Sorry you're feeling so tempted. I feel like I have been tempted by things lately, but that it's been easier to say no. But then, I haven't had any REALLY incredible deals come my way yet, so I know I've yet to be really tested. I hope you can say no and stick to your no-buy!

Back