• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to MakeUp Talk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Enablers...and anyone who wants to share their shopping deals! (part 2)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
@@saku I got an air :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I figured with my track record for laptops I better start off with the cheapest version just in case lol. I just noticed that the markings are actually light shining through from under the keys LOL oops. Nope, unfortunately they're not just oil deposits - my old toshiba got the worst of my typing, I had actually carved a good 2mm of plastic off some of the keys and you could see the keys curving inwards when they used to be flat. I'm the horrible person who works with my laptop plugged in at all times if there's a plug available so I have no idea of how the battery life is yet lol. (I'm also THAT person who starts freaking out about phone battery life the instant it dips below 70% - which only takes about 30 minutes on my iPhone <_< I have a charger case AND two portable batteries to get me through long days :wacko: ) But it's really awesome to hear that yours lasts so long!!
You need to let the battery die every once in a while. I find after the next charge it lasts longer on both my phone and laptop. My keyboard and trackpad looked like new after 4 years of heavy use.

@@FormosaHoney

how roomy are those shirts in the bust area? you've definitely sold me on the being able to just toss them in the washing machine aspect, but the main reason I don't have many button-down shirts is because they ALWAYS gape open between my boobs, which of course ruins the whole professional aspect. It doesn't matter if I use fashion tape, it'll still pop open before the end of the day. The worst is when I'm presenting and have to be dressed professionally, one mindless stretch and boom, buttons just start popping open.
I got the 'tailored' because I have nearly no boobies and I wear a lightly padded bra when wearing them, bringing me to an A.  I was being fitted and while I looked good with just the shirt...  no matter what she did, after I put my Ann Taylor jacket over it, the jacket just didn't hang right.  She fussed over me quite a bit and try shifting this and that, then I said "I need more boobies" she looked up at the ceiling, raising her brows, looking out of the corner of her eyes and noded in relieve that I said it instead of her.  Like I knew that was going to be the case and I just wanted to see how she was going to handle it...  I was giggling inside because she was looking all sorts of chargrined...  

The 'fitted' is roomier in the chest then 'tailored' and the 'classic' is the roomiest.  You'd probably be a classic petite in 2 or 4?  Do you have a Brook's Brother's near you?  Swing by and ask to try a 2 petite classic. 

If you get them, I'd put them in the dryer for like 3 min after the washer, just to fluff them up a bit after the spin dry, then put it on a hanger.

Last edited by a moderator:
@@wadedl reading that I need to let my phone/laptop die so they'll charge better actually made me feel nervous and check the battery on my phone LOL. I really need to work on this unreasonable aversion to low battery life.

@@FormosaHoney that's a great idea! I think there's one about 20 minutes away so I'll see if I can drop in on Monday (parking is unfortunately a nightmare on weekends). even if I don't catch this sale, at least I'll know for next time! So I just realised... Would I better off using the "widest" part of my chest as the bust measurement on the size chart or just my bra band size? (Aka measuring around my boobs instead of under them?) I've always just gone with my bra band but I now feel like measuring around my chest would actually help me gauge things better, but regardless a buttondown shirt large enough to accommodate my boobs is usually WAY loose around my waist and still looks wrong :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I am waiting to see them in real life because the colors vary so much in all the pictures. The Temptalia reviews are terrible on them and scared me away a bit. The swatches look great of everything but maybe one color in each palette. Karen of Makeupandbeautyblog blog loves them though.

Damn you auto correct!
If it helps, I usually feel the opposite about a product than Temptalia does, and I find that the way she judges items to be bizarre and usually unfair (going out of your way to not press your lips together during the day doesn't mean a lipstick lasts 8 hours, girl!!)

Also re: Fallout- I haven't noticed it being worse compared to other brands, but I've also been using mainly indie eye shadows lately, and they all come in loose powder, so anything beyond that feels like a walk in the park, application-wise.

I will admit that the makeup collector in me kicked in, and their beauty is a big part of the reason I purchased them.

If it helps, I usually feel the opposite about a product than Temptalia does, and I find that the way she judges items to be bizarre and usually unfair (going out of your way to not press your lips together during the day doesn't mean a lipstick lasts 8 hours, girl!!)

Also re: Fallout- I haven't noticed it being worse compared to other brands, but I've also been using mainly indie eye shadows lately, and they all come in loose powder, so anything beyond that feels like a walk in the park, application-wise.

I will admit that the makeup collector in me kicked in, and their beauty is a big part of the reason I purchased them.
Re: Temptalia - I hate to say this, but Christine is also somewhat of a not-nice lady, and I've noticed her give better reviews to equally crappy products that she got for free vs ones she paid for, so I really don't trust her reviews. I usually only go to Temptalia for color swatches, and even those are suspect due to her massive overexposure. <_< I like MusingsofaMuse better, when it comes to review blogs, personally.

If it helps, I usually feel the opposite about a product than Temptalia does, and I find that the way she judges items to be bizarre and usually unfair (going out of your way to not press your lips together during the day doesn't mean a lipstick lasts 8 hours, girl!!)
It's even worse when she drops the rating for a perfectly good lipstick just because it didn't last her 8 hours of no eating/drinking smh. I'm the type of person who has a single huge meal every day, usually lunch or an early dinner (3-4PM) and there's just NO WAY any lippie would last through one of my meals. Plus I'd rather just wipe it off before I start eating so I don't start smearing lipstick all over my face/teeth.

Re: Temptalia - I hate to say this, but Christine is also somewhat of a not-nice lady, and I've noticed her give better reviews to equally crappy products that she got for free vs ones she paid for, so I really don't trust her reviews. I usually only go to Temptalia for color swatches, and even those are suspect due to her massive overexposure. <_< I like MusingsofaMuse better, when it comes to review blogs, personally.
I never really understood why some bloggers use studio lighting for their pictures. No normal person walks around swathed in bright white light all day! I would much rather prefer indoor/outdoor/flash iPhone pictures... Her reviews of drugstore products (especially wet 'n wild palettes) always made me laugh because their grades would be tragic. I mean... I would take 2 good shadows out of 8 for a $5 palette over 1 good shadow out of 4 for $50 ANY DAY, yet the $5 palette gets an F and the $50 one gets a B-???

Also not makeup or tech related, but I'm having so much trouble enabling myself on buying a ticket to a Slipknot show in September :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I'll put my argument with myself behind a spoiler - sometimes just writing all the points out helps me decide what to do lol.

I've never seen them live and they were basically my ~intro to metal~ band so they hold a special place in my heart. I've been wanting to see them live for almost half my life. Buttttt the show is in an outdoor theatre about 1.5 hours north of me and traffic to/from the venue is BRUTAL. And the last time I was there I almost died from a combination of heat stroke and being eaten alive by mosquitoes  :angry:

It's even harder to decide because I know they're headlining one night at Heavy Montreal, which I'm potentially going to attend again this year because last year was really fun. It would really suck it if the Houston show sold out and then I decide that I won't go to Montreal though :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Plus a friend and I have been heavily discussing going to 70000 Tons of Metal next January and I can't justify spending money on 2 metal festivals in less than 5 months.

I use my lighting to get as close to true color as possible and to be able to work at night when Z is sleeping and when I'm actually more awake. Her's seems a bit bright and yellow though, although mine leans blue nothing's perfect.

Concert is hard. 1. 5hr min each way seems brutal and you'd most likely spend more time driving/in traffic than the actual concert. What are the chances of not hitting montreal?

lol tbh living in TX means that a 1.5 hour drive isn't really too big of a deal under normal circumstances. I'll drive that far to go shopping without blinking, but I just know that after a crazy concert I'll be exhausted and not want to drive the 50ish miles back home. Montreal is probably 50/50 at this point but it'll depend on what other bands they announce too. At least Slipknot planned their tour so that they hit TX last aka give the weather a chance to cool down a little. I missed one fest 2 years ago because some dumb organiser thought it would be a good idea to come to Houston in the middle of August and its 100+F heat with the venue charging $5+ for a tiny uncapped bottle of water.

That's a toughy. I'd think Montreal and then being able to go to 70000 Tons of Metal next Jan. would be the best of both worlds but a 50/50 chance of not being able to hit montreal or if the announced bands are just awful and then missing out on seeing them at all becomes a possibility a well.

Yeah, I would love to do both but it gets expensive with plane+festival tickets (and a hotel for Montreal). I feel like I'm constantly going to fests a year late lol. Montreal 2013 was the best possible lineup for my music taste, but I didn't go til 2014. 70K 2015 had almost every single band I've listened to in the past 10 years, and I might be able to go next year. They don't usually repeat bands 2 years in a row. Just my luck lol.

I have one more macbook question for y'all - how study is the keyboard? Obviously it isn't a deal breaker or anything since I've already gotten the laptop, I just realised I forgot to ask and I want to figure out if I should calm down with my typing. I'm a notoriously angry typer lmao. Back at school all my classmates would tell me they could tell I was in the room just by hearing me punching the keys, and how if they hadn't watched me type real words super fast they would think that I was just typing a bunch of gibberish. I scrape dents into keys on an embarrassingly regular basis - my HP keyboard lasted about 3 months before I had carved a pea sized dent into several keys LOL. (I'm honestly shocked that my piano keys have remained intact over the years - my old teacher used to always lecture me on keeping my nails short so I wouldn't make any tapping noises when playing but I refused to listen, I just adjusted the way I played instead)
I am playing catch up, but I pound my keys pretty hard.  I am very intense and focused when I type, and I am a fast typer, which for some reason, in my mind, sends the message that typing fast, means hard...and I think it is true for me, the way I kind of pound away...does that make sense? I do switch between two keyboards though.  I have a 10 key keyboard also (with a cord, womp womp). If I am at a desk/table...I use the 10 key.  Right now, while I am not fully set up yet here in my new place, I don't have a place to set up, which is a nice break though because I am so portable! (my first laptop - not yet a year old, but first real 'travel situation' hahaha!)

For anyone needing to be all proper and pressed for work every once in a while, Brooks Brother's having a 50% winter clearance.  I got the following for school, interviews and (fingers crossed) work after my program.

Their shirts are normally $100 a pop, expensive but well worth it.  Their non-irons are amazing, never thought I could get excited about a dress shirt.  The fabric is the perfect weight, there are 3 fit, classic, fitted and tailored, the last being most closely cut to your figure.  There is regular and petite.  I went in and got myself measured and fitted so now I just wait for sales.  

You'll look incredibly handsome all day, yes girls can be that!  I had gotten 5 of them a couple of years back (on sale of course) when I was retailing at Cartier and just adore them.  You can wash them in your washing machine - not take them to the cleaners and they look expertly pressed by morning, almost magical.  Like I get as excited as good skin care when I think of them.  

If you set up an account you'll receive $10 off $50+ purchases.
Thanks for sharing...I never have heard of these types of clothes...I'm going to check it out!!  More than likely...ENABLED!!

I only have to look when I'm typing numbers from the row. I grew up using the number pad so I still get confused with the row, but of course I don't type numbers nearly as often as letters.
This is why I bought the extra keyboard with a 10 key.  I am soooooo slow that I get frustrated by using numbers across the top of the regular keyboard.  I didn't notice when I bought the computer that the 10 key wasn't there.  Just didn't occur to me it wouldn't be...and yeah I got the nitty gritty about the machine, but missed there wasn't a 10 key!  Oops! 

10473045_10153052726154761_4473778543472757236_n.png

$10 khaki's at Old Navy - free shipping at $50.

@norther 

I wanted to see System of a Down VERY BADLY, and at the last minute we decided not to go, and now I don't know if I will ever get to see them.  I paid a very large sum of money to go see Pink Floyd - The Wall, in San Francisco two years ago...I don't know much about the band you want to see - I've heard them, just not familiar with the band though, like are they on a reunion tour, are there split rumors, are they still putting out music etc...I go in phases, I'm in a pop phase! LOL!  But my point is if there is a chance that this is it, your only chance, then pack your car full of fun, grab a friend, prepare as best you can and HAVE A BLAST!!  If you know you will have more (better) opportunities, then I'd pass.  You're too important, no need to risk your health!  :smilehappyyes:  

You'll regret not seeing them. I still regret not seeing Refused on their reunion tour, it haunts me. Go see the band :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

@  Go to the concert.  You have no idea what next January will bring. Enjoy life now!

Also, you just missed an epic metal cruise, which I realize is probably a little old for your taste, but it was crazy fun.

I have one more macbook question for y'all - how study is the keyboard? Obviously it isn't a deal breaker or anything since I've already gotten the laptop, I just realised I forgot to ask and I want to figure out if I should calm down with my typing. I'm a notoriously angry typer lmao. Back at school all my classmates would tell me they could tell I was in the room just by hearing me punching the keys, and how if they hadn't watched me type real words super fast they would think that I was just typing a bunch of gibberish. I scrape dents into keys on an embarrassingly regular basis - my HP keyboard lasted about 3 months before I had carved a pea sized dent into several keys LOL. (I'm honestly shocked that my piano keys have remained intact over the years - my old teacher used to always lecture me on keeping my nails short so I wouldn't make any tapping noises when playing but I refused to listen, I just adjusted the way I played instead)
I've had mine for four years not. I'm in my last year of law school and do excessive amount of forceful typing and I've had no problems.

@

Hmmm... interesting thoguht about taking the largest measurement...  I think most brands manufacture their fitted tops according to an average of all chest sizes, they account for the  circumfrance of the torso but no AT ALL the variation in cup sizes.  

I mean a women's fitted shirt is really fitted for a limited cup size, though the overall clothing size maybe it 4, 5 or 16.  Most clothing with darts assume the cup sizes between A and C.  

Want to go into business?  Offering fitted clothing for Ds and beyond!!  I will retain you as SME consultant for large busted segment.

I think going in and having BB's fitting expert help you might be provide some good information to throw into your decison mix!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back