Let's Get Fit Together!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gahhhh I know how that feels! I went to a wedding last week and felt like a blimp, even thought I've been running every other day!

On a lighter note, I did 2.7 miles on the treadmill this morning :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Quote:

Originally Posted by divadoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

...I have my period so no weight loss this week :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

I had my 1 year follow up appointment with my Cardiologist today and got some awesome news! He said I did such a great job changing my diet and losing the weight that had worsened my MVP symptoms that he could barely detect my murmur when he listened to my heart!! I still have the defect to my mitral valve (no fixing that), but it feels great knowing I'm keeping my heart as healthy as possible :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by Fairest of all /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had my 1 year follow up appointment with my Cardiologist today and got some awesome news!

He said I did such a great job changing my diet and losing the weight that had worsened my MVP symptoms that he could barely detect my murmur when he listened to my heart!! I still have the defect to my mitral valve (no fixing that), but it feels great knowing I'm keeping my heart as healthy as possible
smile.gif
That's awesome!  Are you on an exercise plan as well as a change in your diet?  

That's awesome!  Are you on an exercise plan as well as a change in your diet?  
I try to stay active as much as I can by swimming, playing wii fit, or going for short walks, but I'm not able to do anything strenuous without getting sick. If I go running or do anything where my heart rate gets too high too quickly I get dizzy and faint so I've had to find the right level of activity where it's more beneficial than harmful. It doesn't help that I'm on a beta blocker that tanks my blood pressure to the point where I can't sit up without seeing stars lol. I'm definitely not complaining though..... I consider myself lucky that I'm dealing with something that should allow me to have a full life. Even when I'm dealing with pain, fainting, palpitations, etc it's comforting to know those things are just part of having this condition and aren't life threatening at this point :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by Fairest of all /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I try to stay active as much as I can by swimming, playing wii fit, or going for short walks, but I'm not able to do anything strenuous without getting sick. If I go running or do anything where my heart rate gets too high too quickly I get dizzy and faint so I've had to find the right level of activity where it's more beneficial than harmful. It doesn't help that I'm on a beta blocker that tanks my blood pressure to the point where I can't sit up without seeing stars lol.

I'm definitely not complaining though..... I consider myself lucky that I'm dealing with something that should allow me to have a full life. Even when I'm dealing with pain, fainting, palpitations, etc it's comforting to know those things are just part of having this condition and aren't life threatening at this point
smile.gif
I can't wait til I get to the stage where I just need to MAINTAIN my weight.  Right now, I'm still in the losing stage. 

I had a heart murmur in my early 20's but I outgrew it as I got older.  So glad things are looking up and up for you.  Would you ever get to a stage where you can do strenuous activities or is this a life long condition?

I can't wait til I get to the stage where I just need to MAINTAIN my weight.  Right now, I'm still in the losing stage.  I had a heart murmur in my early 20's but I outgrew it as I got older.  So glad things are looking up and up for you.  Would you ever get to a stage where you can do strenuous activities or is this a life long condition?
It's definitely something that can get better or worse over a long period of time. Physically all it is is a valve that's supposed to open and close each time your heart beats. It pushes blood in one direction and closes the door behind it....mine always stays open so blood is constantly being pushed back and forth causing pain, irregular heartbeat, etc. It's possible for the valve to become more rigid in time and start working or to open wider to the point where surgery would be beneficial. Typically they replace the valve with one from a pig. Luckily mine has been stable since I was diagnosed at 17 I'm not the best at explaining it, but I guess it's the only heart condition that is genetic. You can test a 1 yr old for the gene and know they will develope it later in life. That mvp gene can also cause scoliosis, rib issues, and eye problems (which I developed around the same time I was diagnosed). So even if you have your valve replaced you still have what is called "mvp syndrome". It's the weirdest thing... worth reading about if your bored. And trust me when your doctor tells you to lose weight, but you love food and can't exercise it off it sucks haha. That's why it took me almost a year to lose what some people can in 2 months. Hoping to lose a few more lbs, but finding it difficult without being active.

This morning I broke my record and ran 3.2 miles :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I'm very proud of myself. I didn't expect to hit my goal until next week. I feel like the impossible happened!

Originally Posted by aleeeshuh /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This morning I broke my record and ran 3.2 miles :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I'm very proud of myself. I didn't expect to hit my goal until next week. I feel like the impossible happened!
That is totally awesome!!  I've been pretty tired so no running, just walking incline and weights.  I'm still losing weight so I'm ok.  

@Calexxia, I just noticed your photo avatar with Dee!  That is sooooo cool!  I envy your life!

Thanks :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  What are you doing to lose weight?

That is totally awesome!!  I've been pretty tired so no running, just walking incline and weights.  I'm still losing weight so I'm ok.  

@Calexxia, I just noticed your photo avatar with Dee!  That is sooooo cool!  I envy your life!

I'm on the treadmill every night for 30-50 min.  I've been walking at 3.35-3.4mph at 7.5-9% incline for the first 20 min and then I lower and speed up to 3.5-3.6mph for another 10, drop back and to the first thing.  When I get energetic, I run for 10-15min (4to6 min, 30 sec walk intervals - usually in between songs) in between the walking.  When my cardio is done, I do weights for about 5min with 10lb kettle bells, weights and resistence tubing.  I then do some crunches, sit-ups, leg lifts and finally I do stretches - this totals about another 15-20.  My entire work out would be about 50-90min.  

I have an account on myfitnesspal.com and I keep track of my food at the end of the day which also keeps track of my 'weigh ins'.  I try to watch what I eat but I look at what I eat and determine whether I should do more or normal.  It's been working out for me because my weight gain was do to child bearing and inactivity, not really from a really bad diet. The diet was not great but not horrible. I was sedentary and so the unused calories began to store up.  Since my job is sedentary, I need to take the 60-90 min to exercises which I was not doing.  I try not to eat after 6-6:30pm. I drink alot of herbal tea and water throughout the day.

It really sucks because I gained a bunch of weight in January to May of this year (20lbs).  When I started my weight loss, I had to lose the 20lbs that I just gained.  Now I'm into the 15lbs of old fat. If I didnt gain the 20lb this year, I would be way further ahead.  Anyways, this is how I'm doing it. How about you?

At my heaviest (in May, 2012) I was 218lbs and I wore a size 16 or XL.  I have never been a size 18 except when I was pregnant and that was because I wasn't wearing maternity clothes.  Today (35lbs lighter), I bought my first size 13 jeans! Before this, I've been skimming around a size 14 or Large. I'm hoping to be a 9 or 8 by next June :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

Since my body distributes fat throughout my entire body instead of at certain loci, I've found sizes are not changing as fast for me.

I started the C25K in the beginning of April of this year. I  couldn't even for two minutes straight. That's how out of shape I was. It has been really up and down for me. The biggest challenge has been staying consistent and sticking to the program. I complete the program in more than 9 weeks. It probably took me 12 weeks total to complete, but once I hit my straight 30 minute run I stopped. I stopped for months. Around September 23rd, I got back into running. I was really intimidated even though I run on my treadmill in the garage with no one around. My first run was 15 minutes straight, a 3 minute run then a 9 minute run. I was SHOCKED!!!!!!!!!! I didn't think I could do it. My next run I did 18 minutes, then my next one was 21, then 25, then 28 etc... Now I can do 45 minutes at 4.1 mph on the treadmill. In only four weeks and I have increased my stamina by 30 minutes. I can't believe it!

My motivation is every time I run, I either have to increase in time or speed. I run every other day, simply because I feel like my body needs rest. I'm sore the day I workout, but the day after I'm ever more sore. Hopefully, if I stay on track with my running the soreness will become more bearable and be able to run every morning. I also don't eat as much, but I the foods I eat are pretty much the same. I eat smaller portions. My main reason for not changing my diet is because I don't want to feel deprived. I don't believe in fad diets, I believe in lifestyle changes. And in order for me to keep the weight off, I have to change my lifestyle, not drink shakes for two months straight. 

I don't weigh myself because every time I weight myself and I see that I'm losing weight, I feel allowed to eat more. For most people, they feel like it's a huge accomplishment, but for me it sets me back tremendously. My biggest judgement are my clothes.

It's really hard to lose weight when you're surrounded my food all the time. My family gets together every single Sunday to have lunch. Usually on Saturday's there's some type of get together. FAMILY and FOOD go hand in hand with us. 

I can go on and on, but all in all battling with my weight has been quite a journey!

GOOD JOB!!!!! That's awesome. Congrats :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

At my heaviest (in May, 2012) I was 218lbs and I wore a size 16 or XL.  I have never been a size 18 except when I was pregnant and that was because I wasn't wearing maternity clothes.  Today (35lbs lighter), I bought my first size 13 jeans! Before this, I've been skimming around a size 14 or Large. I'm hoping to be a 9 or 8 by next June :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

Since my body distributes fat throughout my entire body instead of at certain loci, I've found sizes are not changing as fast for me.

If I could tell by my clothing if I was loosing weight then I would not weigh myself.  Unfortunately, I had been buying a lot of loose fitting or stretch items that can give me a bit of stretch room in case I gain weight. I also have a lot of clothes so I had to try stuff on in my closet to see what fits and what looks sloppy.  I can still wear some of my size 15-16.  The size 16 'skinny' *LOL* jeans now fit like straight leg bf jeans so I still have them and that's how the size 15 jeggings fit too.  I had been wearing low top Converse All Stars for the last 5yrs.  I went to try some heels on today and I noticed I've lost 1/2 a shoe size!  I went from a 9 to 8.5. 

I would give you a story of me battling weight. I was a happy size 9.  I got pregnant and had kids, I was too busy looking after their needs that I set aside what I needed to do.  I was wanting to spend time with them vs me exercising.  I'm getting older and the weight isn't coming off as fast as it did before.  I don't have a history of battling the bulge. 

I attribute my sharp weight gain to me experimenting with making greek yogurt and unripe cheeses.  I don't eat or make yogurt anymore. 

Thanks, hon! I know most of the gals here have no idea who most of the folks in my pix with me are, so it makes me smile when someone recognizes the folks I hang out with. It's really nothing to envy, though, just...people. Although Dee is awesome, don't get me wrong.

Back