Memebox Addiction Support Thread

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been pretty good about not buying all of the things.  The only boxes of the latest fleet I bought were the OMG box and the Cute box because both were ones that I wanted.  I used the 10 dollar and 15 dollar codes as well.  I keep wanting to buy the Smile care box but I worry that it'll be like the Hair box level of disappoint.  I keep watching the stock of the box and when it gets under 50 boxes left I'll decide.

@@marjojojoleintje

I see your point so here is a post I thought about at work!

I think two big parts of meme-addiction are gambling and the 'sale' myth.

We are gambling on the products in the box.  Most of the time we only have the vaguest sense what might be in the box.  It's pretty fun to do this on occasion and because the initial investment is pretty low.  Memebox makes the investment lower with points and discount codes.  In addition we know that most of the time the cost of the box is at least equal to the cost of all of the products in the box.  

Where we run into trouble is figuring out the actual cost.  Let's take a look at the memebundle3 code.  It is 5 dollars off 3 boxes (this use to be a better deal pre-shipping change).  This is great if you equally want all 3 boxes.  Most of the time though I find I only want two boxes and kind of want a third.  So I add the third, use the code and whatever points I have.  See the problem?  I REALLY want that box nor do I need it.  I didn't save 5 dollars at all, I still spent money to get the boxes.

Saving is a tricky word because in the end we still spend money unless memebox is paying us.  I bet that if they said "spend 5 dollars less with this code" that it would be a less attractive code.

This brings me right back to the problem of box value.  I'm just going to use the example of a regular global memebox.  Costs 23 dollars plus 6.99 shipping so 29.99 USD.  A lot of the stuff in the box is really awesome but not something we'd use every day or a product that is in the same category as another one we have and really like. (Side note - this is why I like mask boxes because you go through them quickly) So we actually don't save money on the box most of the time because the items are not being put to use as quickly as we are buying the boxes.

WHICH BRINGS ME TO POKEMON SYNDROME!  Memebox is really smart because they have a limited number of boxes and they all have different types.  There is some overlap but you won't know until you get the box!  It's really hard to not want to collect all the different types.  Plus the products are so cute that it is hard to not want them.  Since some of the products are harder to find you'll want to make sure to buy every box because who knows if you get a rare product in it! I may be stretching the metaphor but you get the idea.

Anyway, for me a big part of overcoming the addiction is recognizing why I buy.  I buy because I think I am getting a deal.  I buy because of the thrill of the unknown.  Buy occasionally is fine.  Memebox just keeps producing new special boxes and I have to remind myself of why I buy and when it's okay to buy.

Just as a disclaimer, I am just writing down my thoughts as I am sitting at work.  I don't know any of this as a fact and it is based on my personal experiences.

Last edited by a moderator:
@ you are right. I do think its the appeal of "deals" and mysteriousness, and the social networking hype that got every memeaddict hooked on. I too am slowing down with the buying for various reasons. 
Part of my slowing down was realizing that I have gotta catch 'em all syndrome.  I felt late to the meme-party so to make up for it I purchased a lot.

The other part is that I realized just how much of my income is going to skin/makeup when I could cut down on most of it and be just as happy.  I love getting my surprises in the mail but oh man so much of my fun money is going towards that instead of other things I enjoy.

I think I am going to make a list of boxes that if they come out I will spend money on.  Maybe that'll help budget and control the urge.  

I'm just joining this thread. There was a $10 and $15 code? How do I not know about these?? I've bought 5 boxes in the past week.

@ thats cool. I list mine in a small notebook I always carry, and I even list out the things in each boxes and cross out the ones i gave away/ am using so that I know what is left.

I am sticking to global boxes, boxes that I really need (eg summer) and boxes that appeal to me and at the same time I have codes and points that would bring it down to almost nothing (yeah got some for $2).  You need a strong resolve when everyone else is buying like 479126410831 boxes around here hahaha

@@NikNik455 I update those frequently somewhere you know...

And welcome to the thread!

@@marjojojoleintje

I see your point so here is a post I thought about at work!

I think two big parts of meme-addiction are gambling and the 'sale' myth.

We are gambling on the products in the box.  Most of the time we only have the vaguest sense what might be in the box.  It's pretty fun to do this on occasion and because the initial investment is pretty low.  Memebox makes the investment lower with points and discount codes.  In addition we know that most of the time the cost of the box is at least equal to the cost of all of the products in the box.  

Where we run into trouble is figuring out the actual cost.  Let's take a look at the memebundle3 code.  It is 5 dollars off 3 boxes (this use to be a better deal pre-shipping change).  This is great if you equally want all 3 boxes.  Most of the time though I find I only want two boxes and kind of want a third.  So I add the third, use the code and whatever points I have.  See the problem?  I REALLY want that box nor do I need it.  I didn't save 5 dollars at all, I still spent money to get the boxes.

Saving is a tricky word because in the end we still spend money unless memebox is paying us.  I bet that if they said "spend 5 dollars less with this code" that it would be a less attractive code.

This brings me right back to the problem of box value.  I'm just going to use the example of a regular global memebox.  Costs 23 dollars plus 6.99 shipping so 29.99 USD.  A lot of the stuff in the box is really awesome but not something we'd use every day or a product that is in the same category as another one we have and really like. (Side note - this is why I like mask boxes because you go through them quickly) So we actually don't save money on the box most of the time because the items are not being put to use as quickly as we are buying the boxes.

WHICH BRINGS ME TO POKEMON SYNDROME!  Memebox is really smart because they have a limited number of boxes and they all have different types.  There is some overlap but you won't know until you get the box!  It's really hard to not want to collect all the different types.  Plus the products are so cute that it is hard to not want them.  Since some of the products are harder to find you'll want to make sure to buy every box because who knows if you get a rare product in it! I may be stretching the metaphor but you get the idea.

Anyway, for me a big part of overcoming the addiction is recognizing why I buy.  I buy because I think I am getting a deal.  I buy because of the thrill of the unknown.  Buy occasionally is fine.  Memebox just keeps producing new special boxes and I have to remind myself of why I buy and when it's okay to buy.

Just as a disclaimer, I am just writing down my thoughts as I am sitting at work.  I don't know any of this as a fact and it is based on my personal experiences.

@ you are right. I do think its the appeal of "deals" and mysteriousness, and the social networking hype that got every memeaddict hooked on. I too am slowing down with the buying for various reasons. 
Thank you that was very helpful! you should do that often write down your thoughts when working, it felt I was reading from a pro ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I'm going to watch and think about everybox I really want and why.. why do I realyl want a box do I really really need it... still thinking if I'm gonna buy one of these skinfood or kbeauty boxes and why I want them.

I recently bought the pore box but now i'm thinking I already have so much stuff for my pores.. no I just bought a save box or how you call it xD

Sorry if my english is bad (super duper tired)

Part of my slowing down was realizing that I have gotta catch 'em all syndrome.  I felt late to the meme-party so to make up for it I purchased a lot.

The other part is that I realized just how much of my income is going to skin/makeup when I could cut down on most of it and be just as happy.  I love getting my surprises in the mail but oh man so much of my fun money is going towards that instead of other things I enjoy.

I think I am going to make a list of boxes that if they come out I will spend money on.  Maybe that'll help budget and control the urge.  
Making a list sounds like a good idea. I have been completely addicted to memebox. I bought way too many for the past 3 months but for the past few weeks, I've been much better, partly because I'm running out of room for me to put all the products away! I do love everything I get from memebox but I can only use to much before they expire. So that's another reason why I tell myself to only get the ones that are not repeats or similar to what I already and that I really really want/need. 

we are only talking about how much we buy and that its bad but where is the support to help us stop? ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
I don't think buying memebox is a bad thing. It is whatever your budget allows you to support various shopping expenses. Personally, I do a spreadsheet in excel and each time I made a Memebox or Julep purchase (my two addictions), I mark it down and I keep track on the amount of purchases each month. When I noticed the number is going unreasonably high, I will stop purchasing a little while.  It helps a lot since when I see my $698 memebox purchases, it kinda stops me from pressing "place order" button. 

I reaslised: I stopped smoking on October 3th 2013 and now have like €140 more in a month to spend! (ps I didn't have any problems with stopping.. like the memory of liking smoking totally vanished when I stopped. also everyone around forgot that I ever smoked because you dont see (so don't think memebox is not a replacement)

So me buying so much Memeboxes isn't so bad.. also buying no more Dutch brands for skincare, using everything I get from Memebox or other korean websites :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Korean Skin care became my new hobby :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I do say I need to maybe buy not everybox because I really need to buy what I really want... I'm not an office girl so why buy an office essentials box right ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> those mistakes I need to look out for :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I'm gonna buy a box now.. which one I don't know yet :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> (still waiting for $6 refund for my broken Gangnam Style box aegyosal eyeliner

@@marjojojoleintje congrats on quitting smoking!!  I stopped smoking 3 years ago (5/23/2011 to be exact) as I went into the ER for a perforated colon!!  I was on so many drugs for several weeks, that by the time I thought about smoking again, the urge was gone.

Which was great as a few months later, I had to purchase a new car - so my cig expenses (which was about 250-270/month - I live in a state where one pack is over 10.00 with taxes) became my car payment!

I can never catch up!!

I am an office girl :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  (an old one, but still...lol)  but the office box was, for me, meh.  Didn't care for it one way or another.  Don't hate it completely, but I don't love it either.

I reaslised: I stopped smoking on October 3th 2013 and now have like €140 more in a month to spend! (ps I didn't have any problems with stopping.. like the memory of liking smoking totally vanished when I stopped. also everyone around forgot that I ever smoked because you dont see (so don't think memebox is not a replacement)

So me buying so much Memeboxes isn't so bad.. also buying no more Dutch brands for skincare, using everything I get from Memebox or other korean websites :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Korean Skin care became my new hobby :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I do say I need to maybe buy not everybox because I really need to buy what I really want... I'm not an office girl so why buy an office essentials box right ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> those mistakes I need to look out for :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I'm gonna buy a box now.. which one I don't know yet :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> (still waiting for $6 refund for my broken Gangnam Style box aegyosal eyeliner
I think you're on to something. I quit smoking last November and I think buying memeboxes is my new addiction.

@@marjojojoleintje congrats on quitting smoking!!  I stopped smoking 3 years ago (5/23/2011 to be exact) as I went into the ER for a perforated colon!!  I was on so many drugs for several weeks, that by the time I thought about smoking again, the urge was gone.

Which was great as a few months later, I had to purchase a new car - so my cig expenses (which was about 250-270/month - I live in a state where one pack is over 10.00 with taxes) became my car payment!

I can never catch up!!

I am an office girl :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  (an old one, but still...lol)  but the office box was, for me, meh.  Didn't care for it one way or another.  Don't hate it completely, but I don't love it either.
YAY for us :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> "smoking is bad mkay" ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I haven't smoked 3769 sigarets and saved 1009,55 euros, I'm gonna live 15 days longer :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> (awesome app: quitnow!)

D*mn a car is awesome no smoking gift! :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

o really, you're not old! no one is old here right! we are all young fresh and happy! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Latest posts

Back