October 2013 -- No/Low Buy Support Thread

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Eeee!  I just discovered a YouTube tutorial about how to convert your loose powders to eye pencils!  TRIPLE-DIGIT NUMBER OF EYELINER PENCILS, HERE I COME!

(I have over a hundred jars of loose pigments, many of which I wish I had in pencil form.  For less than the price of two Marc Jacobs liners, I can get enough supplies from TKB Trading for five thin pencils, five thick pencils, five nail polishes, and twenty small clamshells of liptarbalm, and if I like the results, then I'll have the bases for even more of each and would only have to go back for more jars/tubes/pencil blanks.)

Quote: Originally Posted by usofjessamerica /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My aunt is sending a care package to family in the Philippines. I just filled up a birchbox full of unused/unloved make up and samples for my only girl cousin. MAN it feels good to get rid of things-- especially things I didn't even know I had hiding on my make up shelf!
When I went back for a vacation last December in the Philippines, I did the same thing! Saved me $$$! LOL

So my parents and grandma and aunt came to visit my sister and I in Wisconsin (we both work at/attend the same university) this past weekend. We're originally from California. My parents visit often but it was my Aunt and Grandma's first time. So what do you do when you're out in the land o cheese and beer? Shop, eat, and drink of course!

Besides my diet plan being derailed (like seriously. bad. i feel like i haven't eaten that much meat ever in my life ever.), I did break my no buy. I bought a Loreal LeMatte lip pencil thinger. I really like it even though it is a little drying! But I definitely didn't need it since my grandma unloaded a couple Clinique Chubby Sticks on me from her many GWPs. Merp merp. At least it was only a $6 hit?

Is anyone "shopping their stash" this Monday?

I brought out a UD lipstick I've been ignoring. It is a deep blackberry shade and I like it for a night out but with three kids, nights out are few and far between. However, if I layer a nude over this lipstick it softens up the color and I like it for day wear. 

Is anyone "shopping their stash" this Monday? I brought out a UD lipstick I've been ignoring. It is a deep blackberry shade and I like it for a night out but with three kids, nights out are few and far between. However, if I layer a nude over this lipstick it softens up the color and I like it for day wear. 
Yes! I started a thread for it: https://www.makeuptalk.com/t/138575/the-monday-club

I slipped up today, but I'm back on the wagon until Black Friday and Cyber Monday, after those massive sale days no buying until Christmas.

I slipped up--not so bad--eyeshadow and perfume to the tune of $8 total.  I love sales, and clearly have an issue when things are on sale...Trying to be strong for the rest of the month and beyond.

I keep a budget every month but still get some great deals when I browse local stores. I found a little while ago that I save a lot of money on everything with an online subscription - all the products are cheaper and I love opening the box every month!

Y'all... the only makeup and/or skin care product I've purchased for the whole month of october is a NYX milk pencil. My bank account sent me a thank you card... not really. but if it could, it totally would!!

Quote: Originally Posted by tnorth1852 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Y'all... the only makeup and/or skin care product I've purchased for the whole month of october is a NYX milk pencil. My bank account sent me a thank you card... not really. but if it could, it totally would!!
Yay! Congrats...that's phenomenal! 
worship.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by tnorth1852 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That's so amazing!  Great job!  Haha is your wallet finally uncurling from the fetal position? 
icon_cheesygrin.gif

I've done well this month, too.  For some reason, setting a $ limit is working much better than an "I can buy this many of that thing, and NONE of these!"  My brain seems to take that as a challenge.  A dollar limit lets me be so much more flexible!

Quote: Originally Posted by magicalmom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  That's so amazing!  Great job!  Haha is your wallet finally uncurling from the fetal position? 
icon_cheesygrin.gif

I've done well this month, too.  For some reason, setting a $ limit is working much better than an "I can buy this many of that thing, and NONE of these!"  My brain seems to take that as a challenge.  A dollar limit lets me be so much more flexible!
I feel the exact same, even though I've been doing poorly this month, lol. I blame the fact I was on vacation for a week of this month 
smile.gif

Major kudos and congrats to you, @tnorth1852 !

I'm gonna have to join the November thread once it's up.  I was told Friday I'm probably going to be fired (long story) so money matters just got depressing for little old me.

Quote: Originally Posted by tulosai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I'm gonna have to join the November thread once it's up.  I was told Friday I'm probably going to be fired (long story) so money matters just got depressing for little old me.

Oh no!  And 
blink.gif
 on the advance notice for firing, that is odd!  I hope you're able to find a (much better!) job soon!

Just had my eye exam and it turns out I'll need progressive glasses... I'm 22! Why why why. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> There goes $450. There goes all hope of buying things in the future. On another note, I did pick out cute frames!

I'm sorry about that! I hope you find something soon xo

Quote: Originally Posted by usofjessamerica /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Just had my eye exam and it turns out I'll need progressive glasses... I'm 22! Why why why.
frown.gif

There goes $450. There goes all hope of buying things in the future. On another note, I did pick out cute frames!
I had that same thing happen to me this month too! I got some cute Juice Couture frames though. I would have preferred the $650 Jimmy Choo ones, but the ones I chose will do.

Back