October 2013 -- No/Low Buy Support Thread

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup! I'm a fan on Facebook and I am signed up on their newsletter. Some people in the "where have you gotten samples from?" Thread have had luck when requesting from L'Occitane. They have occasional promos/freebies when you sign up. I somehow managed to sign up on both the US & Canada mailing list. They had this "Once We Get to x # of FB fans we'll give away our hand cream!" For some reason my account got FOUR "Don't forget to claim your hand cream" emails. I then had no problem claiming all four of those $12 Shea butter hand creams 0.0 My local store almost never has anyone in it and there's always a different sales associate who always seems "new".

Jess, how do you get L'Occitane to give you stuff?  Every time I ask for samples they refuse.  They are the stingiest company when it comes to stuff like that.

Quote: Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Addendum rule for me I'm going to try this month as a trial: All of my purchases need to be covered by my overtime and eBay/Poshmark/forum sales.

ETA: Happiness is hearing that "bid placed" harp/chime sound. I'll have to work harder at getting that sound to happen more. It would probably help if I had more than one thing up.

I need to list some items too . . . I've taken pics and everything but haven't actually listed the items. 

good luck on your selling :) 

So I went to Fred Meyer and saw one of my biggest weaknesses:  A new full essence trend edition display.  But!  Everything was part of the permanent collection!  I didn't buy any makeup today!  I *did* buy a blanket WITH SKULLS, but it's a blanket WITH SKULLS and therefore not a violation of my no-buy.  So far this week, I've done pretty well.  The only makeup items I've bought have been Glamour Doll Eyes pigments specifically on the allowed list.

Edited to delete something i already decided.  I'm apparently really adamant about that rule!

Quote: Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  So I went to Fred Meyer and saw one of my biggest weaknesses:  A new full essence trend edition display.  But!  Everything was part of the permanent collection!  I didn't buy any makeup today!  I *did* buy a blanket WITH SKULLS, but it's a blanket WITH SKULLS and therefore not a violation of my no-buy.  So far this week, I've done pretty well.  The only makeup items I've bought have been Glamour Doll Eyes pigments specifically on the allowed list.

Edited to delete something i already decided.  I'm apparently really adamant about that rule!

That's great self control. Way to go!

So far so good. I finally ran out of my 29 Cosmetics Mascara in dark brown, but haven't bought one to replace it. It's hard because the 29 brand had become my Holy Grail, new favorite mascara. Using sample mascaras from sub stash instead. Didn't cave over UD F&FS although I was soooooo tempted. One day at a time.

So yesterday I made a Bath and Body Works order... oops. BUT I used the candle deal (I got 2), plus 20% off and a free Twisted Peppermint full size shower gel.

Quote: Originally Posted by Kristine Walker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
   So far so good. I finally ran out of my 29 Cosmetics Mascara in dark brown, but haven't bought one to replace it. It's hard because the 29 brand had become my Holy Grail, new favorite mascara. Using sample mascaras from sub stash instead. Didn't cave over UD F&FS although I was soooooo tempted. One day at a time.

Good job staying strong :)    

I was so close to caving on the UD sale! There were a few things I *wanted* but didn't *need*. 

I got my 25% code from Birchbox today and I'm not even interested in shopping, lol. Either my no-buy is working or I need medical attention!

I'm so proud that I was in a mall on Sat and worked through and bought nothing. I wanted to check out Sephora for the first time, but I got lucky because that mall didn't have one. I did buy some shower gels at Liquidation World though, many because my husband threatened to take mine if I didn't buy him some new ones, lol. I bought him lime scent, but I think he's going to switch for my raspberry. He didn't seem too impressed with lime.

This week is going to be hard! My rule about eBay money? A bunch of stuff sold, so I have money! The urge to shop is back! I really want to go ahead and get those Marc Jacob gel liners, but I am holding firm until I see the next round of point perks/samples, not to mention the new holiday stuff they have slated for next week (OCC lip tar half rack in Tuesday!). I will be playing an order for the Glamour Doll Eyes Halloween collection Monday, so I am trying to just get myself there without ordering anything other than maybe the Fortune Cookie Soap Halloween stuff (if it's still available and not yet sold out). And that new indie sub I bookmarked but can't remember the name is at the moment. I do need to remind myself that I'm making a major hair change in a week and a half, and that's going to be expensive, so I need to be prepared for that, too. (OTOH, it looks like it's another overtime week. Time and a half! Whoo!)

I've been way too busy to buy makeup. I just looked at holiday sets and I'm not even tempted. 

I've been way too busy to buy makeup. I just looked at holiday sets and I'm not even tempted. 
Same here! In the last seven days I've been to the beach, lost an uncle in a horrific car accident, and got engaged. I normally am a stress shopper, but the only makeup product i have purchased was a NYX milk pencil. On top of that, I had the tarte ulta gift set in hand and put it back. I am really shocked and really proud of myself. Just hoping my emotional roller coaster lets me off really soon!

Quote: Originally Posted by tnorth1852 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Same here! In the last seven days I've been to the beach, lost an uncle in a horrific car accident, and got engaged. I normally am a stress shopper, but the only makeup product i have purchased was a NYX milk pencil. On top of that, I had the tarte ulta gift set in hand and put it back. I am really shocked and really proud of myself. Just hoping my emotional roller coaster lets me off really soon!
Sorry for your loss and congrats on the engagement. I also brought a NYX milk pencil and some basic stuff that I needed.

Quote: Originally Posted by tnorth1852 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sorry to hear about your uncle, delighted to hear about your engagement.

A few days ago, I just randomly walked into a store near my office and they were having a 50% off sale on some perfume that is already pretty nice and pretty inexpensive to begin with.  I resisted, but that perfume is calling, haunting me.  Is it worth going back?  We're talking about less than $20.  I'm also interested in the OCC min lip tars, and trying to talk myself out of them...

Very proud if myself had a bliss shower gel /body butter set on qvc in my cart ( it was a great deal )and ended up not buying it! I am such an impulse buyer and I seriously have enough lotion /shower gel to last me at least a year! Yay success !!

Support needed stat! Indie Polish has a 40% off sale and there are 4 polishes that were on my wish list that the mini bottle total would be less than $20!
Must. Not. Click. Checkout.

i fell off the wagon and bought the Sephora in JCP must haves kit. i dont feel too bad about it since i've been wanting most of the things in the bag for a while!

Quote: Originally Posted by wrkreads /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Support needed stat!
Indie Polish has a 40% off sale and there are 4 polishes that were on my wish list that the mini bottle total would be less than $20!

Must. Not. Click. Checkout.

I may be too late, but...

Are these colors that you already have close dupes for?  Is it a brand that you KNOW and LOVE the formula? Is this something you really need right now, and do you have the $ to spare to buy it?  Is it breaking any no/low buy rules you have in place right now?  Does this company run sales like this often, and you could get them later?

Take some time (and DEEP breaths!) and really think about it!  Good Luck!

Back