October 2013 -- No/Low Buy Support Thread

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I may be too late, but... Are these colors that you already have close dupes for?  Is it a brand that you KNOW and LOVE the formula? Is this something you really need right now, and do you have the $ to spare to buy it?  Is it breaking any no/low buy rules you have in place right now?  Does this company run sales like this often, and you could get them later? Take some time (and DEEP breaths!) and really think about it!  Good Luck!
Not too late. I still have my cart loaded, but haven't bought. I haven't tried the brand myself, but know people who love it. None of the colours are dupes or even close to what I have. I've never even see a holo topcoat before. I don't really have extra money, but it's only $20, which I can afford. This is a one time anniversary sale and only 2 of the polishes may be restocked. Basically, your questions and my answers are only reinforcing my desire to buy, lol. I'm still debating, especially since my husband only laughed at me about it. No help there.

Quote: Originally Posted by wrkreads /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Not too late. I still have my cart loaded, but haven't bought.

I haven't tried the brand myself, but know people who love it. None of the colours are dupes or even close to what I have. I've never even see a holo topcoat before. I don't really have extra money, but it's only $20, which I can afford. This is a one time anniversary sale and only 2 of the polishes may be restocked.

Basically, your questions and my answers are only reinforcing my desire to buy, lol. I'm still debating, especially since my husband only laughed at me about it. No help there.

Well, some purchases are OK!  As long as it's not interfering with any specific no/low buy rules you have for yourself, it may be just fine for you to buy... just remember, you DID come here saying that you must not checkout... so you must have some reason that you weren't wanting to make this purchase!

Maybe make a list of pros & cons?

Well, some purchases are OK!  As long as it's not interfering with any specific no/low buy rules you have for yourself, it may be just fine for you to buy... just remember, you DID come here saying that you must not checkout... so you must have some reason that you weren't wanting to make this purchase! Maybe make a list of pros & cons?
It would break my specific polish no-but rule for the month. I know I don't need them, I have lots of other polishes, even if these are different. I'm going to try to internally debate until the sale ends, and then it wouldn't be an issue since I wouldn't pay this much shipping on full price items. Even with the sale, the shipping cost means the polishes work out to $5 each, which is quite a lot for me for mini bottles.

It would break my specific polish no-but rule for the month. I know I don't need them, I have lots of other polishes, even if these are different. I'm going to try to internally debate until the sale ends, and then it wouldn't be an issue since I wouldn't pay this much shipping on full price items. Even with the sale, the shipping cost means the polishes work out to $5 each, which is quite a lot for me for mini bottles.
Don't do it! That's insane for shipping. Similar polishes will probably be available, and hopefully at a time that you can feel good about indulging.

How about each Monday we play "Shop the Stash"? Every week we go through our stash and pick a product to use? Doesn't matter if it is full-sized or sample, just go through the hoard pick something and actually use item the entire week. Who knows what may be hiding from view and will feel "new" again!

How about each Monday we play "Shop the Stash"? Every week we go through our stash and pick a product to use? Doesn't matter if it is full-sized or sample, just go through the hoard pick something and actually use item the entire week. Who knows what may be hiding from view and will feel "new" again!
I love this idea!!! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> who else will do it?

Quote: Originally Posted by Kristine Walker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Excellent idea!  I pick my eye shadow colors on Sundays to prepare for the workweek, and I need something to look forward to on Tuesdays because those are my hardest workdays, so I will be doing this Monday evenings.  It's easier to get through Tuesday if I'm using a new something awesome, and I just got the benefit advent calendar, so I even have a whole lot of awesome things to pick from here!  I'm going to make a mystery stash, though:  Wrap them up and pick one at random each week (I know that's pretty much the idea behind the advent calendar, but I *had* to take everything out and see it all at once!  It was *necessary*!).  Weighing pros and cons to decide which one to use will *not* work for me!  

** (I have so many I have to sit down each week and limit myself to seven -- the number of pigment jars that will line up in the box I use for the makeup I use during the workweek.  It's *much* easier to deal with mornings when I know everything is already right there in the box, so I don't have to pick out my colors for the day, and I don't have to *search* for anything when I'm still eighty percent asleep.)

Such a fun idea!! I'll definitely do it with you guys, except for this next Monday as I'll be out of town far, far away from my pretty stash (not a thing to cry about, certainly, given it's vacation time - woohoo!)

ETA: So about nail polish... anyone else really bored with the polish they own? All the untrieds I have remaining are ones from Julep Mystery Boxes, or leftovers from mini-sets. They're pretty boring colors mostly TBH and I haven't had much luck trading/swapping on other groups. Anyone have suggestions for what I could do with them other than swap or sell (or other than ignore? haha) 

You guys are great. My low buy is simple 40 dollars a month for crazy buys. So like weakness buys. If I need something and I am all out. It does not count and try to use what I already have like samples.

This is a great idea!!

I love this idea! I'm already thinking of all the great products that I have that I rarely use that I will have to start pulling out.

Quote: Originally Posted by Sam Clysdale /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  You guys are great. My low buy is simple 40 dollars a month for crazy buys. So like weakness buys. If I need something and I am all out. It does not count and try to use what I already have like samples.
I LOVE your profile pic! That's so me LOL

Quote: Originally Posted by lioness90 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I LOVE your profile pic! That's so me LOL
Thank you. My mall just open a sephora. Its to remind me not to buy anything there till jan. Since me and a few friend are doing secret santa gifts.

Sounds like fun! I already rotate my stash but I know there are a few items that get bypassed. This will be helpful in determining any items that just aren't worth keeping too. 

ok so I caved and purchased the freeman mystery bag for $20. I justified it by the fact that I skipped my $12 beauty army box and cancelled another $10 monthly tanning service (yes I know baddddddd) so since I got nothing else this month and I would have spent that $ anyway I got the bag. its supposed to have 3 lbs worth of product. I hope its got some good stuff.

*cough*  I went ahead and picked up a Marc Jacobs eyeliner today.  But it's a color that was *totally* on my to-buy list, and I sold a bunch of stuff on eBay, and I have a $10 Sephora gift card (that I forgot to use, but that's okay), *and* I sold some hairspray to a coworker.  I had been trying to hold off until the next round of point perks, but then I realized how many things I plan on picking up, and it's going to go very nicely with some of the Halloween eyeshadow colors I'm slotting in for the next two weeks, so I went ahead and just went for it today.  Justification station!  Also:  Four hours of OT this week.  Probably at least that amount next week (possibly even double) since I'm still trying to dig out from being gone for a week, and then the week after that is That Time of the Month:  It's month-end close lose-your-mind time.  Everybody FREAK OUT!

On the up side, I looked at the Fortune Cookie Soap Quarter Quell collection, and I'm not really seeing anything that I *must* have, and I have managed to keep my Halloween choices under $40.  Except I keep dragging my feet on placing that order because I have plenty of stuff to get through the rest of the year as it is, and pretty much every thing is very candy candy candy, and I'm not really feeling that right now.  Okay, there.  Decision made.  No FCS Halloween stuff.  The Nightmare Before Christmas box will be out at the beginning of December, and they're also doing a more-classic holiday collection, so I'm thinking those might be better collections for me.  And if not, I do still have more than enough bath stuff (SO MUCH SHOWER GEL OMG!) to last me probably until the spring collection.  It feel kind of *right* to do a shower gel no-buy in three-month increments rather than monthly considering my seasonal preferences, so I'll just have to see how this actually shakes out.

So I made it through the polish sale and bought nothing! I also cruised a Shoppers last night and bought nothing! I did look at Essence bronzer and eyeshadow and a cute Quo eyeshadow pallet, but said no to all of it. I doubt I need another purple pallet, I already have 2.

My aunt is sending a care package to family in the Philippines. I just filled up a birchbox full of unused/unloved make up and samples for my only girl cousin. MAN it feels good to get rid of things-- especially things I didn't even know I had hiding on my make up shelf!

Quote: Originally Posted by usofjessamerica /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My aunt is sending a care package to family in the Philippines. I just filled up a birchbox full of unused/unloved make up and samples for my only girl cousin. MAN it feels good to get rid of things-- especially things I didn't even know I had hiding on my make up shelf!
how awesome! I just did that for a cousin whose birthday is today! she has 2 kids and has been a stay at home mom for about 10 years. recently just got back into the work force so $ for extras was not really there. when I started getting my sub boxes I started putting stuff aside I knew she would like and that I would not use and sent them to her every year. it makes her day and I clean out my unused stuff!

Back