Days 21-30 of the 100 No Buy Challenge

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love the idea of the capsule wardrobe. I have way too many pieces of clothing. Everybody has inspired me to clean out my wardrobe yesterday, however, I was only able to get rid of four pieces so far. I did fold and hang everything nicely. I need to work on letting go and don't need the mindset that "I will wear this later". 

I would love to do a capsule wardrobe.  I love the idea of getting dressed without a fuss in the morning.  I am going to check out these websites.  You guys are awesome for tips and advice!  

I'm definitely still taking baby steps towards a smaller wardrobe (after all, I did just learn about capsule wardrobes today!), but I took some time tonight while an indie flash sale was going on to go sort through and try on a bunch of dresses.  It helped me avoid the temptation of shopping online AND helped me eliminate more from my closet!  

There are now 7 dresses in the pile to go to the thrift store and 3 still hanging in the closet because I'd like to try to sell them rather than just give them away (One was a too big ModCloth surprise, two are thrift shop finds that fit when I bought them this summer, but then I lost about 10-15 lbs and now they're also too big.  And if I have to give up White House Black Market AND Ann Taylor (not Ann Taylor Loft, BRAND NEW with the $178 price tag still on!) dresses, I'm gonna try to get some of that money back!

And then because I was feeling bad about trying on a bunch of stuff that was ill fitting and just not right for me anymore (silly bubble dress making my booty look big!), I tried on a few dresses that I know make me look AND feel amazing, so I could end my sorting session on a positive note!  I have a fabulous dress that looks like it came straight from the set of Mad Men that is just waiting for warm weather for me to debut it! So now I *do* feel better that I've yet again eliminated items from my closet that I don't absolutely love, and confirmed some pieces that I do love and can't wait to wear!

I applied for another secondary job (the paychecks at my regular job are not coming on a steady basis, which makes my no buy vital right now). I am still working on my Birchbox of skin care foils, by brand. I finished my Fresh and Nude foils, and am starting on Caudalie. 

I have seen new things and a great sub box I want very badly, but I am fighting it. I am trying to tell myself, if it is worth having, it will be around after April 10. 

So far, since January 1, no beauty purchases, bought a new phone on January 1 for a phone job interview because all phones in the house are old and lose their charge very quickly (used credit card and accidentally went over limit), went to movies (I go to movies very, very rarely but I do not bypass the super expensive concessions), bought food and gas (am bad and do eat out and get takeout, not good at grocery shopping and cooking), but no shopping for anything. No new charges except the phone, and no new credit lines opened.  

Sorry for being MIA for a while! I've had finals - well, I still have one left tomorrow, but I'm taking a study break. No purchases in makeup so far, but I have to get some coconut oil soon. I finally figured out that my chicken-skin on my forehead and chest is Keratosis Pilaris and hopefully the coconut oil will do its magic! It'll be so weird not having a gross lumpy bumpy forehead... 
I'm going to go out and get a haircut this week so maybe that'll give my look the refresher I crave! 
Also my FOTD is gonna be wild. Be on the lookout! Lol.

Sorry for being MIA for a while! I've had finals - well, I still have one left tomorrow, but I'm taking a study break. No purchases in makeup so far, but I have to get some coconut oil soon. I finally figured out that my chicken-skin on my forehead and chest is Keratosis Pilaris and hopefully the coconut oil will do its magic! It'll be so weird not having a gross lumpy bumpy forehead... 

I'm going to go out and get a haircut this week so maybe that'll give my look the refresher I crave! 

Also my FOTD is gonna be wild. Be on the lookout! Lol.

I have this problem with my upper arms.  Body scrubs (pretty much any kind, I've tried salt/sugar/St. Ives ground apricot pits) and Amlactin lotion have really helped me out.
Same here on my upper arms and legs. @@turntrekgodhead careful with coconut oil. It is very comedogenic (Rated 4 on the comedogen scale), and could break you out. If you're looking for an oil to help, I would go with jojoba which is closer to the one we humans produce, or something like argan. 

I'm game for a capsule wardrobe too. It's a clever idea and emphasizes that I should only be wearing clothes I love. Falls in line with my idea that I should only wear makeup I love as well!

My original goals being gone, I am going to take this as an opportunity to adjust them. I have an interview for a PhD program this weekend so no temptation to spend, just a lot of nerves. My only goal for this section (what's left of it) is to not buy makeup or beauty items. Everything else is on the back burner with no guilt until after this interview.

So I'm coming in here at the tail end of days 21-30, but I've been really successful with my no-buy.  Haven't faltered at all, save for my exceptions which were my Birchbox and Julep box (only if it was good, and it was for me!).  Haven't been as successful with organizing my closet but I will give that a go this weekend.  Onward! 

I'm doing pretty well.  I really haven't been tempted.  I do have a hair appointment at Ulta this weekend (you should see my roots, they're terrible) but honestly, their website was always more of a draw than the store, for me, in terms of impulse buys.  Mostly by the time I get done with the hair dye, I just want to get the heck out of there and go on about my day.

I might run out of SPF for my face before the no-buy is up.  I would consider it acceptable to buy that, though.  There is skin cancer (not melanoma, but still...) on both sides of my family so I am trying to wear SPF 30 or higher every day.  If I do run out, I'll probably hit up the Birchbox shop to get something with points and a code for as cheap as possible.  But I'm going to use all my samples and foils before I do that.

Wish I could use chemical sunscreens on my face because I have a ton of those, but some of them give me a rash.  I can deal with a rash on my arms (wear long sleeves and throw the remaining product out) but I don't want one on my face.  So I am saving those for my arms.

I'm bummed about the old thread since I don't 100% remember my goals, but c'est la vie.  

I've been doing well with not buying. I've been doing less well with using stuff up/doing my makeup this week. I've been telling myself my face needs time to breath :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Not much to report, just wanted to get back in on the thread.  I haven't been getting updates and was like WOW everyone is quiet but now I see the issue :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I have been doing really well at avoiding temptation.. I think it helped that I spent a few weeks being super sick, then busy catching up on things I neglected while sick. I have done a little "window" shopping online, but not actually purchased anything =D I'll need to make a run to target soon though (out of dryer sheets), so I'll need to hold strong and not make any impulse buys while I'm there.

I haven't been doing as well at using up my stash, but that's mostly because of the sickness related laziness.. just haven't even been bothering with anything outside of the shower and my morning toner/SPF routine. I had been doing really well with putting on eye makeup every day until I got sick, so my project pan has fallen to the wayside. I did finish a travel size toner, leaving me with only ONE open toner now.. yay! I think I'll set a goal for this week to use a face mask.. I spend a few hours a week watching lectures for school online, so i just need to be less lazy and slap one on my face while i do that.

I'm making good progress on my stash! I finished 4 products today alone, and my total is up to 18 for the month. I think I'll be adding a goal for myself in the next set of days to finish a sample/product at least every 3 days. It doesn't take long when you focus on one product, and use it everyday. Especially when you focus on samples and foils!

I haven't bought any makeup yet... though I've been stress-buying other things. *sigh* It's been confirmed that I have a tumor in my neck. 

I'm making good progress on my stash! I finished 4 products today alone, and my total is up to 18 for the month. I think I'll be adding a goal for myself in the next set of days to finish a sample/product at least every 3 days. It doesn't take long when you focus on one product, and use it everyday. Especially when you focus on samples and foils!
This is REALLY true.  I've actually been surprised at how quickly MANY things get finished (not even just samples) if you just commit to actually using them on a regular basis for real.

I haven't bought any makeup yet... though I've been stress-buying other things. *sigh* It's been confirmed that I have a tumor in my neck. 
So sorry to hear this!!

Back