Days 21-30 of the 100 No Buy Challenge

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@@EggyBread

I hope you get on treatment plan and recover quickly.

Hugs  :hugs3:   :hugs3:   :hugs3:   :hugs3:   :hugs3:   :hugs3:   :hugs3:   :hugs3:   :hugs3:   :hugs3:   :hugs3:   :hugs3:   :hugs3:   :hugs3:   :hugs3:   :hugs3:   :hugs3:   :hugs3:   :hugs3:   :hugs3:   :hugs3:   :hugs3:   :hugs3:   

@@EggyBread I hope you are ok!! How scary!!

Still hanging in over here; one tiny little purchase (buying a gift and threw something in for myself) but it was $4 so im not beating myself up too badly. So close to a whole month!!! Empties list is long this month too!!! Next month I need to focus on using up lippies though, I have so many and it needs to come down a notch.

We are already on Day28, sounds like everyone is busy with life, but doing well-

I bought a body wash last weekend to rotate with my soap, it was an allowed purchase. Currently I have 2 soaps and 1 body wash.

I just used up second last body lotion last night, and am starting the last body moisturizer I have tonight, it is a body shop body butter. I am hoping it will last two months, and when I use it up, I will reward myself a $20 lotion I have on my wishlist for a while.

I got my 2014 year summary document for credit card this morning, it categorize my spending in a fairly detailed way, and I could see my beauty related purchase was twice as much as was in 2013. So my 2015 goal will be to drop back to the amount I spent in 2013.

How are you all doing? =) 

@@eastofthesun OK, that Into Mind site is all kinds of awesome! Thanks for sharing.
No problem, Natasha! Glad you like it! Some other ladies here talked about it before too- I can't remember who, maybe Jaylilee? Love that website.

And then because I was feeling bad about trying on a bunch of stuff that was ill fitting and just not right for me anymore (silly bubble dress making my booty look big!), I tried on a few dresses that I know make me look AND feel amazing, so I could end my sorting session on a positive note!
I love that you offset those bad feelings by putting on dresses you look smoking in. Hehe, I love that! I've been feeling bad about my body lately since I gained a lot of weight this summer and over the holiday and it all went to my stomach, butt, and those things that are below your hips but stick out on the sides.... whatever they're called... EUGH!!!! But I'm trying to keep away from clothing that highlights them.

I applied for another secondary job (the paychecks at my regular job are not coming on a steady basis, which makes my no buy vital right now). I am still working on my Birchbox of skin care foils, by brand. I finished my Fresh and Nude foils, and am starting on Caudalie. 

I have seen new things and a great sub box I want very badly, but I am fighting it. I am trying to tell myself, if it is worth having, it will be around after April 10. 
Wow, good luck on your secondary job! Hope it brings you some good peace of mind having that extra money rolling in. You're so right about the box- if it's worth it, it'll be worth it to wait til April.

I have this problem with my upper arms.  Body scrubs (pretty much any kind, I've tried salt/sugar/St. Ives ground apricot pits) and Amlactin lotion have really helped me out.
Amlactin is really good for that, but you know what's even better? Paula's Choice Resist 10% AHA body lotion. That stuff has the max amount of AHA and is pH balanced so that it can do its exfoliation job. It is so good for KP, and is also moisturizing.

My original goals being gone, I am going to take this as an opportunity to adjust them. I have an interview for a PhD program this weekend so no temptation to spend, just a lot of nerves. My only goal for this section (what's left of it) is to not buy makeup or beauty items. Everything else is on the back burner with no guilt until after this interview.
Good for you. Good luck at the interview!!!!

I might run out of SPF for my face before the no-buy is up.  I would consider it acceptable to buy that, though.  There is skin cancer (not melanoma, but still...) on both sides of my family so I am trying to wear SPF 30 or higher every day.
Yes, girl, SPF moisturizer is a MUST. You buy that and you don't feel guilty about it one iota!

I have been doing really well at avoiding temptation.. I think it helped that I spent a few weeks being super sick
Sorry you were so sick! But good for you! I think window shopping, whether online or in real life, and resisting is stronger than ignoring and being ignorant about deals. I think it flexes your willpower muscles more!

I haven't bought any makeup yet... though I've been stress-buying other things. *sigh* It's been confirmed that I have a tumor in my neck. 
Oh nooooo, I'm so sorry to hear that. Do you... have to have surgery?

We are already on Day28, sounds like everyone is busy with life, but doing well-

I bought a body wash last weekend to rotate with my soap, it was an allowed purchase. Currently I have 2 soaps and 1 body wash.

I just used up second last body lotion last night, and am starting the last body moisturizer I have tonight, it is a body shop body butter. I am hoping it will last two months, and when I use it up, I will reward myself a $20 lotion I have on my wishlist for a while.

I got my 2014 year summary document for credit card this morning, it categorize my spending in a fairly detailed way, and I could see my beauty related purchase was twice as much as was in 2013. So my 2015 goal will be to drop back to the amount I spent in 2013.

How are you all doing? =) 
Wow you're doing really good with using up stuff.  Only having 1 body wash is unheard of, hahah!

Hey, what credit card company issues you the summary document? That sounds awesome, and I want that!!!

I'm doing pretty good. Like I said, I cannot return the rollerball perfume to TJMAxx because they don't accept returns of beauty items. But I'm turning this into a lesson for myself- you can't always return to make up for a stupid purchase. So instead, I'm using it and enjoying it, but I am also going to be selling on Ebay to offset the cost of it so I can remain successful in this no buy. I'm not getting my $10 reward for that 10 day period either. So I'm still on the stinking horse!!!!!!

I haven't gotten my goals laid out for this section of the no-buy yet. We're on day 28, and we only have 2 days left after that of this 10-day period. How crazy is that?

Day 28!  I got my "oops" order from Glamour Doll Eyes, and happily was able to stick to my plan to only keep ONE eyeshadow and put the other 3 into an upcoming exchange gift!  I might even go through my stash and see if I can find a brand-new shadow (from my hoarding-rather-than-using tendencies, I have so many new ones!) to sub in for the one I took - which you can pry from my cold, dead, fingers, thankyouverymuch. I ended up getting a discontinued shade that I have forever mourned not getting til now.

STILL.  No more slip-ups!  I only made one more beauty purchase, and it was for cotton rounds and cosmetic wedge sponges, both of which I was completely out of.  This is allowed per my no-buy rules!  I was practically giddy walking down the beauty aisle, lol.  

As for my other/cleaning goals, I'm almost done!  Master bedroom is complete as of today (there are a few things left on hubby's nightstand and I don't know where he wants them.  He'll be home this weekend so he can put his own darn things away.  Ditto for his half of the closet, there are now 4 canvas-lined baskets in there waiting for him to get some organizing done!) and linen closet is 90% done - my craft today was painting red crosses on the canvas bins I'm using for medical stuff!  It was so much fun getting my craft on!

Alas, yet again, the spare bedroom/closet defeats me.  I'm starting to realize why, though!  As I clean/organize other areas in the house (linen closet, office, laundry room, master bedroom), anything that doesn't belong in there gets tossed into the spare bedroom, undoing the work I've done!  I think I'm finally to the point where I at least have everything IN the bedroom that belongs in there, and MOST of the stuff out that doesn't belong.  I need to make a "master list" of what belongs in the bedroom (furniture and art pieces) and the closet (gift wrap supplies, empty luggage, storage for fans in the winter, space heater in the summer), and figure out what to do with the rest of the stuff in there (get donations to thrift shop, distribute framed photos throughout the house).

So once again, spare bedroom will be added to my next 10-day master goals list.  UGH.  I just want to get it over with!  I might need to bribe myself with a milkshake or something!

I returned a new belt I got from LLBean without receipt in an effort to reduce clutter, but i was surprised that i only got 7.99 in store credit. I don't really know the original price of the thing, but they are selling belts in the price range of 50s. Oh well, one less item in my closet is good. 

I made a purchase yesterday, it is for an external hard drive for my mac. It is not beauty related, so should be fine right?

I am going into a city tomorrow for an interview, so i expect to spend lots of money on food and stuff. Hopefully i can hold off on shopping though.

My BIL will be taking my DH to a doc in a box tomorrow afternoon. I'm very grateful that he's taking Tim, that means I don't have to worry about leaving my Momma alone while I sit in a Dr.'s office. I suspect Tim has walking pneumonia (and  the boogie-woogie flu). We'll find out soon I guess.

I've been sicker than a dog myself, but hoping to be on the mend very soon. Nothing has really been accomplished, so I will have catching up to do when I am well. At least I'm not spending, right?

@@EggyBread, you are in my prayers, take extra care of yourself and try to avoid stress.

Proud of everyone's accomplishments and stick-to-itness!

Forgive me no-buy forum, for I have purchased :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

I was doing so good and then I made the mistake of stopping into Walgreens for some things and the beauty section was CALLING TO ME. 

I bought lipstick (of ALL the things I do not need) and liquid eyeliner. My only defense is that I had $5 in rewards points so it really only cost me $3 total. But I still feel kind of guilty.

Oh my gosh @@jaylilee that is BEAUTIFUL.  I admire your wardrobe and your style!  I have to admit, I've been crawling all over the Un-fancy blog for the past half hour!  I am loving that minimalist thing.  

However.  It might not work for me.  I love color, pattern, options, and lots of brightness!  Basically, I have both the style and attention span of a 5 year old.  Most of my shirts have some form of sequin, sparkle, or beading, and many of my skirts have bright patterns.  Also, one of my favorite activities with my mom and my hubby's aunt is going thrift shopping.  So this is going to take a total paradigm shift, because my current purchasing pattern is "It's pretty, it's bright, and it's only $2!"  

My new question for buying clothing (which I have not done this year!  Minor miracle in and of itself!), will be "Do I *LOVE* this?"  Not do I want it, or will buying it make me feel better for now.  I need to love every last item in my closet!  And I am accepting that it will be a multi-year process.  

Maybe someday I'll have a beautifully minimalist wardrobe like yours!
Yes, yes, and yes! I love bright patterns and colors. I have no idea what colors look good/bad on me, because I just wear ones that I like to look at :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

A couple of big moves cured me from the "oh why not, it's only $2!" shopping mentality. I realized that there is no shortage of clothing in this world, and an infinite combination of fits, colors, and prices. I've switched to only buying things that I absolutely love. If it's not perfect, I won't end up wearing it. It'll just sit there taking up closet space. I'm also paying attention to what I wear and what just sits in my closet, and this helps me see what things are worth paying full price for. For example: I bike everywhere, so things that I can't wear on a bike are not going to be worn very often. Unyielding pencil skirt that I look amazing in: no. I already have several, and I've worn them all exactly once. Stretchy pencil skirt with pockets, that I also look amazing in: yes. Every one of these that I've bought has been worn until it wore out. I got a bit rambly, but do you get what I mean?

Edit to be even more rambly: A capsule wardrobe is a little intimidating for me. By getting rid of clothes I don't love, and only acquiring things that I do love, I'm finding a happy medium.

Even if you're not doing a minimalist capsule wardrobe, curating your clothing is worth the time and effort.

Last edited by a moderator:
@@EggyBread I'm thinking good thoughts for you. I had something similar a few years ago, so big hugs for you.

My workout plan for the week has been derailed due to a lingering illness. I have gone walking with the dog each morning, so that's something at least. I'm hoping to feel well enough tomorrow to at least do a short evening walk.

I did buy a restock of an item that I was missing to complete a set of something. However, I did cancel Birchbox (after getting a box for close to three years), so I'll consider that a wash.

Starting this weekend I need to kick up my organization and get back into a good routine in general. I've been slacking pretty bad due to being sick which has resulted in me being in a funk lately.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back