Decoterie - New Decor/Lifestyle Box + Code! *Spoilers*

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just received the email update/statement from LE and wow was that an interesting read.  I didn't order this box because I didn't really like the pillow spoiler and I didn't have any regrets after seeing the full reveal.  For some reason after reading the (long) email, I am not too interested in ordering in the future...

@@MET I posted on MSA that I thought the email might alienate subscribers. I can post the email here if people wnat to read it, but it is very long. I did post it on the blog. I felt it was a misstep to mention names and comments. Commenters do not respond well to that.

I just finished the email as well.  I really wish the company was able to shake off any haters and not feel the need to respond to attacks.  I think the whole thing is just really unfortunate.  If I could offer Letitia and friends a time machine, my advice would have been to:

1) Do one discount at a time, with clear rules and clear communications. 

2) Correct the incorrect spoiler early on - I have been getting emails from Letitia so if she felt that her comments were deleted elsewhere, she easily could have at least corrected it on MUT.  I'm still really confused about WHY we all thought we were getting the leopard print pillow but in custom pink and gray.  It almost seems like that was the original plan but they couldn't fulfill after getting so many subscribers.  If that's the case, they still could have easily cleared it up without people getting too upset. 

3) Ignore haters, and FTLOG do not call them out by name.  While things happened here that were out of line, if someone doesn't like an item, they should be allowed to say so without repercussions.  The forums are here to express positive and negative opinions, and people should be able to do that freely, without any personal attacks (here or elsewhere).  I think this one is probably going to lose some people who previously supported the box.   

4) It is never really a good idea to send Liz a better box than everyone else.  That $220 limited edition lip pillow (that Liz didn't even like!) was my very favorite pillow on the Letitia Elizabeth website, and seeing it in other boxes did kind of make my box feel less special.  I'm sure others had the same reaction.

So yeah, some mistakes were made.  That being said, I hope all of the drama ends soon so the Decoterie team can work out the kinks of being a small box that grew a little too fast.  I have had nothing but positive interactions with Letitia, and I really do wish her all of the best with this box.  I think there is definitely a market out there for people who appreciate everything her brand stands for, love her design aesthetic, and think that those two things are worth the price.  Also, even though I do wish she could shake off the haters, I kind of love it that she is so passionate about her box and the brands she worked with that she couldn't NOT send that email.  Good for her. 

I have reservations about the company, but I do really like some of the items in the first box. I tried signing up with the 25CHECKOUT code and it didn't work, even though it's supposed to be good until tonight. Maybe it's only for existing subscribers? 

Anyway, I guess it's not meant to be, and maybe that's just as well. 

I have reservations about the company, but I do really like some of the items in the first box. I tried signing up with the 25CHECKOUT code and it didn't work, even though it's supposed to be good until tonight. Maybe it's only for existing subscribers? 

Anyway, I guess it's not meant to be, and maybe that's just as well. 
I saw this as the code -  25TODAY  Possible that there are more than 1?

Ah you're right, I must have used the wrong one. (Though I never tried to sign up before, so I have no idea where I even found the other.)

So I've received email #2 and while I appreciate standing up for yourself, your business and artists at some point you need to let it go and run your business without having to constantly set the record straight.  I have unsubscribed from her newsletter and will stay away from this box in the near term - I'll see what a year out brings.

So I've received email #2 and while I appreciate standing up for yourself, your business and artists at some point you need to let it go and run your business without having to constantly set the record straight.  I have unsubscribed from her newsletter and will stay away from this box in the near term - I'll see what a year out brings.
I wish I could "like" this post. I have no interest either.  

This whole thing makes me think of that scene from "You've got mail" where Tom Hanks is telling Meg Ryan that it wasn't personal that he put her out of business. And she responds, "well, it was personal to me and to a lot of people". I think that this box was personal to her and she is taking the reviews personally. I can't blame her for that. 

They sent me an email about signing up.  I am funny about my home decorations, it takes me forever to find something I like or am looking for.  Plus it is a little much for what you get and the variations of the boxes people get.  But the concept of this box is nice.

I cancelled mine.  I likely would have forgiven the emails and kept the sub if I felt like the box priced properly, but I have small kids and nice things are easily ruined at my house so I can't spend too much on decor.  Also there was no attempt to win me back (or at least answer my question) when I sent an email to ask how to cancel, so...

Oh, and the use of the word "may" in the spoiler email also didn't help.  If you are going to do that type of spoiler, at least do a "people will receive this or that" one so we can get a sense of the value.  I read the spoilers and felt like I would just be setting myself up for disappointment if I didn't get the stuff I liked. I do think the spoilers sound nice enough if I had an unlimited budget.

Spoilers here: http://www.mysubscriptionaddiction.com/category/decoterie-spoilers

Last edited by a moderator:
I cancelled due to the dramatic  letters the box owner sent out,  Plus I felt deceived by the spoilers and was very disappointed with the quality of the items in the box. The box was not worth what I paid for it,

Yeah, the 'may' sealed a decision not to buy for me.  Happily watch this from the sidelines. 

Has anyone checked out that "leather" item from the box?  I was organizing items and went to look at mine since it has pretty much sat untouched (it's so slim, there's barely any use).  The "tan" is weird!!  Look at mine.  When I removed the straps there are marks.

Does anyone know how to "tan" it back?  What poor quality!! I wonder what Letitia Elizabeth and her new box (what is it called, "The Box by LE") will include next?

IMG_1811.JPG

IMG_1810.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
It's unfinished leather so it's going to fade/discolor from things like sun and water. The benefit is that after frequent use, you will have an insanely soft, buttery leather. 

You can add a leather protectant (I think it's about $10 a bottle, although there's different kinds) and that will protect it from further fading or staining. 

Personally, I like the character of unfinished leather so I don't have an issue with it. 

While you can stop further fading, I think you won't be able to change the already discolored bits unless you dye it. Not positive on that part since I've never done it. 

I have a friend who paints on leather, I should ask her if she knows.

Back