Julep October 2014 (Spoilers)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was hesitating on getting Katerina in my box this month because I thought the upcoming Opal October birthstone might be too similar. Seriously Opal was the thing that I've been excited about all freaking year with these birthstones. It didn't even occur to me that they could pick a different stone.
I agree, I've been anticipating the opal polish all year!

If we're talking about dupes, can I point out that Ledi is pretty much Leslie from October 2012? Another halloween color. they're not even really trying to hide dupes anymore.

DSC_0038+(2).JPG

also, Julie looks a loooot like Julia. Not a dupe or even close, probably, but have they considered how confusing that's going to be? uGH

8267544650_aa75bac9c9_z.jpg

I'm tempted to cash out my maven jules, but I keep hoping they do a good collection. I should've taken May of this year :/ I've been so consistently underwhelmed for a while. mreh.

I went back and skipped. I'm calling tomorrow and cancelling. I just am not liking their way of doing business lately.

I'm two hundred points away from getting a free full polish upgrade box.  My birthday is in January.  I may very well just continue to skip until I get my birthday points and then do a full polish upgrade box before I finally give up on them completely.  This company is just making me tired.  SquareHue also sends out PLM stuff, and I might be disappointed in some of the color choices (*so* much yellow and orange!), and I don't get the change to skip before I see what's being sent out, but I have never had a single issue with them as far as customer service goes.  I don't think I've even had a reason to contact them (well, except for that one time they specifically asked me to forward a particular photo of my collection to them that I had posted on Instagram, which I don't think counts against them here), which is actually a very good sign.  There was one month when it seemed like the boxes got lost in the mail before they magically appeared in mailboxes, but that was clearly a USPS thing because we could see that the boxes were scanned into the system before vanishing.  (It also helps that I'm on the $14.99 lifetime rate.  That makes the disappointing months easier to deal with.)

I have Julia and Leslie so I can easily ship those (Julie and Ledi). The green-silver looks familiar as does the dark purple. Edit: wait, which one is Julie??

I am getting Dana (though I don't have a black light, but I'm tempted to buy one now!), Tia, Shailene and the CWAT colours. That's about all I can justify.

Last edited by a moderator:
So nothing to do with the October box directly but I was going through my stuff because of comments how some of the colors look similar to past colors which prompted me to go through my stuff. Among my stuff is Julep Reveal which is almost a full tube and wanted to know if it was still sold (it's not). Came across Julep Color Fan which are the swatching nails on sticks that you can buy on Ebay for under $3 a package (typically free shipping) for 50 sticks.

Julep's price: $8 / $6.40 Maven price for 22 sticks.

Rip off.

I have Julia and Leslie so I can easily ship those (Julie and Ledi). The green-silver looks familiar as does the dark purple. Edit: wait, which one is Julie??

I am getting Dana (though I don't have a black light, but I'm tempted to buy one now!), Tia, Shailene and the CWAT colours. That's about all I can justify.
After looking at Julia, it really does look a lot like Shailene, but Shailene looks like it could be darker in the swatches. Or are we talking about three polishes that could be dupes? (Julie, Julia, Shailene) We know how bad the Julep swatches can be, so maybe they really are the same? I don't know.

I'm having trouble placing the green-silver too, but it's familiar to me as well. I was originally thinking it's similar to a Zoya shade, but I can't remember now.

Dragon Chick: I can't quote at work, but I know the one you're thinking of: Zoya Cassedy. (My coworker got it.)

Yes, I'm thinking Shailene might be darker than Julia. I have swatched Julia and it seems to be a sheer, light purple with gold shimmer, whereas Shailene appears to be a darker, redder purple.

I'm also excited for the sleep mask though I know it's just a night cream. I have no night creams currently though and at age 34 I guess it's time.

Judging by Julep's pics - Shailene is much darker than Julia.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm having trouble placing the green-silver too, but it's familiar to me as well. I was originally thinking it's similar to a Zoya shade, but I can't remember now.
It reminds me of essence kiss me, freddy.  This site is in Dutch, but I think the photos are accurate in color and sparkle:  http://www.nailpolishheaven.nl/2014/09/15/essence-kiss-freddy-swatch/

I wanted the Julep version until I saw the essence version at Fred Meyer and remembered I already own it.  Speaking of dupes, does anyone know of one for Logan?  That's really the main one I want at this point.

The greensilver reminds me of celia.

Jillian is also similar to shailene

Or Petra and the burgundy one.

I'm sure none are exact dupes, but too see similar for me to consider getting extras.

Also Elle ... another near dupe.

I have all those .. so Pretty much all the non cremes are duplicates for me.

It reminds me of essence kiss me, freddy.  This site is in Dutch, but I think the photos are accurate in color and sparkle:  http://www.nailpolishheaven.nl/2014/09/15/essence-kiss-freddy-swatch/

I wanted the Julep version until I saw the essence version at Fred Meyer and remembered I already own it.  Speaking of dupes, does anyone know of one for Logan?  That's really the main one I want at this point.
I want to say OPI Muir Muir on the Wall is pretty close based on the swatches I've seen.

I skipped this month...I just don't really have any interest in the product and the polishes (like many of you have pointed out) are very similar to either other Julep colors or other brands I have already. I do have to say though that Julep did a really good job of presenting a season appropriate collection this time. 

I hope everyone that orders gets their boxes quickly this month! 

Back