Let's Get Fit Together!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I need to stop drinking so many calories. It's hard though, since I like juice, rum, (and juice AND rum) and beer.

Running can coincide with your weight training... the C25K is a great program to do regardless of what ever training you're doing in addition.

Stick to your schedule, but dont think that just because it's Monday you cant fit in a light run.  But, dont burn out either and do a full out run on a heavy lift day!
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Originally Posted by ladygrey /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm with you! Well, technically I'll be starting Tuesday since MWF are weightlifting days for me, but I'm with ya! We can do this! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Everyday that I lift is typically pretty heavy, but going for some walking/jogging on the off days has really helped me loosen up!! 

Originally Posted by DreamWarrior /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Running can coincide with your weight training... the C25K is a great program to do regardless of what ever training you're doing in addition.

Stick to your schedule, but dont think that just because it's Monday you cant fit in a light run.  But, dont burn out either and do a full out run on a heavy lift day!
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Hey Everyone!

If you're looking for a neat opportunity to test out your resolve I suggest signing up for a race.

5K's are a great opporuniy to meet other runners in your community, check out new trends, local vendors, and the best ever advantage of signing up is the opportunity to pick up running and walking tips!! 

Dont be afraid that you're not "fit" enough, most organized races are prepared to handle the fastest to slowest runners and even accomodate walkers.  SO, no mater your size or skill, signing up for a 5k will benefit and motivate you.  For all the negative things you can think of and all the excuses you can make, I promise you that once you've crossed over that finish line you will be soo happy and proud that you'll be officially ready to take it to the next level.  Whether its to become faster or to finish the race without stopping, whatever it is - a 5k is extremely motivating!

For those of you who like to dress up, run, and drink beer - I offer you Warrior Dash...
icon_cheesygrin.gif
  Also for any fitness level, this 5k is full of fun obstacles.  You WILL walk at some point, but you will also climb, tred, crawl and jump your way to the finish.  With this race you wont cry or care about how fast you did it, you'll just laugh. 

If you do sign up for something, post it here!!  Lets keep each other motivated and be our biggest fans/supporters.

So many of my friends are signing up for races, they are really excited for it. And of course, they all want me to join but races are just not my thing but I am going to at least cheer on my friends.

The main reason I am running is to improve my cardiovascular health in weather so it can improve my fighting during tournaments in the Texas summers. I've already noticed a dramatic increase in my fighting power just in the little bit I have been doing and I love it!

Great suggestion! I think I'm going to sign up me and the hubby for a race pretty soon. It'll probably be sometime in May so that I don't have the stress of school hanging over me. Off to check out upcoming 5Ks! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Hey Everyone!

If you're looking for a neat opportunity to test out your resolve I suggest signing up for a race.

5K's are a great opporuniy to meet other runners in your community, check out new trends, local vendors, and the best ever advantage of signing up is the opportunity to pick up running and walking tips!! 

Dont be afraid that you're not "fit" enough, most organized races are prepared to handle the fastest to slowest runners and even accomodate walkers.  SO, no mater your size or skill, signing up for a 5k will benefit and motivate you.  For all the negative things you can think of and all the excuses you can make, I promise you that once you've crossed over that finish line you will be soo happy and proud that you'll be officially ready to take it to the next level.  Whether its to become faster or to finish the race without stopping, whatever it is - a 5k is extremely motivating!

For those of you who like to dress up, run, and drink beer - I offer you Warrior Dash...
icon_cheesygrin.gif
  Also for any fitness level, this 5k is full of fun obstacles.  You WILL walk at some point, but you will also climb, tred, crawl and jump your way to the finish.  With this race you wont cry or care about how fast you did it, you'll just laugh. 

If you do sign up for something, post it here!!  Lets keep each other motivated and be our biggest fans/supporters.

I'm not doing Atkins. The risks (ketosis) outweigh the benefits. Plus I love bread so much. And cheese. And pasta......

Ughhh, I could NOT survive on a low-carb diet! I love bread way too much. I'm going to be slightly cutting back carbs, but there is no freakin' way I will ever eliminate them. Plus, from what I understand, Atkins can cause you to have a pretty rank stench once you enter the ketosis stage and you start making ketone bodies. I remember my mom saying that when Atkins was really, really big, it wasn't uncommon to be around lots of people that had some foul, sickly odor coming from them!

Originally Posted by amberlamps /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm not doing Atkins. The risks (ketosis) outweigh the benefits. Plus I love bread so much. And cheese. And pasta......

Fighting?  Oh, please do tell!!

Originally Posted by Pancua /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So many of my friends are signing up for races, they are really excited for it. And of course, they all want me to join but races are just not my thing but I am going to at least cheer on my friends.

The main reason I am running is to improve my cardiovascular health in weather so it can improve my fighting during tournaments in the Texas summers. I've already noticed a dramatic increase in my fighting power just in the little bit I have been doing and I love it!

LMAO @ Atkins

Im on low carb - have been for many years, but a very different program.  I can honestly say I dont stink (excpet for when I run) Hahahahaha.

laughno.gif

Lo carb done right is fine and you realize just how addicting carbs can be.  I've lost 50 lbs, gained 20 back when I got injured in sports and I'm on the mend now that I can run again.  But everyone is different, ask me 3 years ago about lo carb and I would have bashed it too.  I guess the old addage goes "Never say never."

Everyday that I lift is typically pretty heavy, but going for some walking/jogging on the off days has really helped me loosen up!! 

What program are you following?  Lifting heavy at every session sounds like a 3-2-1 plan... let me know... I'm curious.  Thanks.

LMAO @ Atkins

Im on low carb - have been for many years, but a very different program.  I can honestly say I dont stink (excpet for when I run) Hahahahaha.

laughno.gif

Lo carb done right is fine and you realize just how addicting carbs can be.  I've lost 50 lbs, gained 20 back when I got injured in sports and I'm on the mend now that I can run again.  But everyone is different, ask me 3 years ago about lo carb and I would have bashed it too.  I guess the old addage goes "Never say never."

Did you undergo ketosis??

I'm sure I'd lose the weight I want to if I'd stop eating takeout and start going to the gym more, and/or doing outdoor exercise.

I'm doing a program called starting strength by Mark Rippetoe. I've been lifting for almost a year now, and technically I'm still at the beginner level because I'm able to make gains and add weight every time I lift--this is the phase to be in, because once I exit it, I won't be able to increase my lifting weights as quickly as I am now ever again. 

What program are you following?  Lifting heavy at every session sounds like a 3-2-1 plan... let me know... I'm curious.  Thanks.

Originally Posted by amberlamps /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm sure I'd lose the weight I want to if I'd stop eating takeout and start going to the gym more, and/or doing outdoor exercise.

The first time I did the program yes (when I lost 50lbs), but this time around Im doing the program on my own so I am not in Ketosis but following the program as if I was already in ketosis, which works out too because I cut my calories by cutting out alot of junk food, carbs, breads, etc. and really just eating very healthy (mostly organic).  I've also noticed that I am less bloated just by cutting out the carbs.  Dont get me wrong tho, I have "cheated" when the situation calls for it... cake at birthday parties, wine @ dinners out, etc.  But I follow the plan 90% and its working.

Quote:

I'm doing a program called starting strength by Mark Rippetoe. I've been lifting for almost a year now, and technically I'm still at the beginner level because I'm able to make gains and add weight every time I lift--this is the phase to be in, because once I exit it, I won't be able to increase my lifting weights as quickly as I am now ever again. 

I've never heard of it! Cool! Im gonna have to check it out! Thanks!  Im always looking for new programs. hehehehehe.

Quote: Originally Posted by amberlamps /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The first time I did the program yes (when I lost 50lbs), but this time around Im doing the program on my own so I am not in Ketosis but following the program as if I was already in ketosis, which works out too because I cut my calories by cutting out alot of junk food, carbs, breads, etc. and really just eating very healthy (mostly organic).  I've also noticed that I am less bloated just by cutting out the carbs.  Dont get me wrong tho, I have "cheated" when the situation calls for it... cake at birthday parties, wine @ dinners out, etc.  But I follow the plan 90% and its working.

Did anything bad happen to you? My shrink pretty much scared me out of doing Atkins, since it's very low carb, but I want results and it's the only diet that looks like it might work for me. But I'm terrified of having something go wrong, like my stomach exploding or some other irrational fear.

Well, I cant speak for Atkins cause I went on a doctor supervised program (which of course makes it that much more expensive).  I had an EKG done and blood work and I got cleared (no health issues) so that I can go on the program.

It was all protein for one week with a limited amount of calories and NO sugar or CARBS what-so-ever.  It was hard, but the worst thing that happened to me was a sever headache on day 3.  I checked with other members on the diet plan and called the docs office and they said it was normal - think of it as a detox period.  I had to drink lots of water and take vitamin supplements. 

The one headache day was the worst thing that happened in the entire course of the ketosis.  Once you hit ketosis you have to check for it every few days and make sure you stay within its levels, the lowest being trace.  But I ate protein, veggies, some starches and I was never to the point of starvation.  I lost the craving for carbs and even to this day - I don't DESIRE pasta like I used to... or for that matter, rice or bread too.

I no longer knock lo carb since I went thru it and actually saw results.  The best results of all my diets.  When I gained back the weight is was more because of depression due to my injuries and my solace was chocolate... I ate lots of it.  But, overall I maintained good eating habits, I just happened to drizzled chocolate over everything. lol.

The support group I was with was Three Fat Chicks (google it) - they have a section for Atkins if you want to join there and start asking questions about the plan and the type of side effects they feel.

Back