Little Lace Box July Serendipity/August Box *SPOILERS*

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This cracks me up:

LLB Facebook - From a customer ("customer"?):

We love it when our subscribers write in and tell us how they feel about our boxes. And with her permission, we are sharing this special note with you...we dare you not to tear up by the end. Thank you, Jennifer - XO LLB Team
----------------------------------

You asked me to write back once I received my box and share my thoughts.
So here they are:

A little vase.
Perfume.
blahblahblah
Seriously? What's the big deal?

Look. Not so long ago I was traveling the world. My career had me standing next to presidents and rock stars smiling into a sea of a thousand faces. Fast forward just a few years to my current career. If I had a large enough business card it would read: " Monster vanquisher, lullaby singer, boo boo kisser, chauffeur" . Challenging. Wonderful. But far less accolades.

I traded red heels for Mary Jane loafers and crisp linen for boyfriend jeans. Gone are my antique perfume bottles and in their place are Star Wars action figures that I have to watch closely or my older children twist them into positions of impropriety directed at the insipid but innocuous Spongebob wall stickers. And all this is fine. All this is great. But there is no room for VASES in my life.

Only..

Maybe the woman who once loved simple elegance and beauty is still moved by such things. Maybe, underneath the fingerpaint and grape jelly, what she needs to feel is a luxurious shea butter that smells like heaven as a reminder throughout the day to not lose herself.. To remember who she is. And think about who she wants to become.

I don't need anything in this box. Not really. There's no nap in here. No socks without holes or washable markers or frozen meals.

Still..

The perfume has been dabbed behind my ears. And I pulled my hair up.

The vase sits on a high shelf in my room and I can't help but notice I've been finding excuses to go in there more often than usual.

My hands smell so peachy delicious, it's all I can do not to suck on my fingers.

I am elegance.
I am class.
I will be the loveliest of the third grade mommies who have to go pick up their children as we've just been informed that they all have head lice.

No.
You've given me nothing I need.
Nothing at all of practical use.
And for that I thank you.

Now if you don't mind, I have an autumn box to order.

~ Jennifer

Everything they write and post sounds so contrived. 

Now that I finally have my box in my hands, I love it! Flowers, a handmade vase, body butter and perfume! If my husband picked these things out for me, even if the scents weren't my style, I would think it was so romantic! 

The vase is small, and not exactly my style, but I checked out the website of the artist and I really love some of her more colorful, whimsical designs! There are a couple of items there I can afford, lol. 

Looking forward to receiving the code for the flowers so I can have them sent to my sister.

I got the peach body cream, yes it's strong. But I love the scent of peach! I might just use it after an evening shower if it's going to compete with my perfume during the day.

Speaking of perfume! I got the Sofia Isabel scent and I love it!! It's a little sweet at first, but that mellows out quickly. Warm, sweet and spicy; perfect for fall!

As for Serendipity... 

Curious about the tea infuser. I drink a lot of green tea (hot) during the day. I'll try using this. It's supposed to be loose tea, I can cut open a tea bag, right???

The dirty mud bar will definitely be used along with the hair mask. 

Thank you cards are cute. I do have a ton of these, guess that means I should be sending more out.

Does anyone know how to use our loyalty points to purchase products in their shop?  

Now that I finally have my box in my hands, I love it! Flowers, a handmade vase, body butter and perfume! If my husband picked these things out for me, even if the scents weren't my style, I would think it was so romantic! 

The vase is small, and not exactly my style, but I checked out the website of the artist and I really love some of her more colorful, whimsical designs! There are a couple of items there I can afford, lol. 

Looking forward to receiving the code for the flowers so I can have them sent to my sister.

I got the peach body cream, yes it's strong. But I love the scent of peach! I might just use it after an evening shower if it's going to compete with my perfume during the day.

Speaking of perfume! I got the Sofia Isabel scent and I love it!! It's a little sweet at first, but that mellows out quickly. Warm, sweet and spicy; perfect for fall!

As for Serendipity... 

Curious about the tea infuser. I drink a lot of green tea (hot) during the day. I'll try using this. It's supposed to be loose tea, I can cut open a tea bag, right???

The dirty mud bar will definitely be used along with the hair mask. 

Thank you cards are cute. I do have a ton of these, guess that means I should be sending more out.
Yes, you can cut open a tea bag.  But loose tea is cheaper per lb. so if you decide you like the infuser, you would be better off getting your favorite tea 'loose'.  HTH

Did everyone receive their code for the flowers today? The selections are beautiful but I was a little surprised I didn't realize it was limited selection of bouquets to choose from.  For some reason I thought we could use the code towards any arrangement on the site.  Oh well still beautiful flowers to choose from guess I misread the card.

I haven gotten my code yet. Boo. Really hoping i can order flowers to arrivecon my birthday sunday (well i guess they would have to arrive on Saturday)

Got my flower code today, as well.  The $10 upgrade to double the stems seems worth it. I agree that options are limited, but they are lovely.

After having the box in my hands a few days, I still do not care for the vase (personal style thing) but I have enjoyed the body butter. At first I thought the scent was way too strong but then I found myself opening the jar and sniffing it over and over again. The texture is pretty heavy and it takes some effort to rub in...but I am enjoying it - I may just use it on my legs, though! Putting it on upper body made induce a scent coma, lol! 

I wonder if they have any other LLB branded products in the pipeline. 

I just got the code too.  I still haven't decided whether to use the code for myself or as a gift... I'm not a huge cut flowers fan (they die so quickly... would generally rather have a plant)... But my birthday is coming up so I might order for myself then... maybe I'll upgrade and get a really big boquet!  The arrangements do look really pretty, and I've heard good things about the Bouqs.

I'm glad the box came with Serendipity, because the box felt more full than it would have otherwise (and I'm more than fine with quality over quantity, last December's box with four items was my favorite LLB so far!)  I wish the vase was just a bit bigger... the design is not entirely my taste, but I like the color, so there will be a spot for it in my house.  I got the lotion in Lollabamooza, which is the same scent that I got the scrub in, and it would have been my last pick of the scent options... I've been using the scrub on my feet, and I'm going to do the same with the lotion - just put it on my feet before bedtime, so I get the moisturizing benefits, but don't smell it all day long.

My favorite thing in the box was the perfume. I got Clara.  When I read the scent description I was bummed, as I don't like musk at all.  But when I put it on, it was really light and lovely.  I like the sound of the other perfumes Define Me makes as well, so I think I'll probably order another, maybe the Sophia Isabel.  That discovery made the box for me... and I'm generally happy as long as I get at least one thing in a box that is worth what I paid and that I love.

Finally, I liked the Serendipity stuff a lot - the tea was great, and although I don't use plastic bottles like it described in the instructions, I just dunked the infuser with the spout on the top into my nalgene bottle, and bam - iced tea.  Nice!  I used the conditioner right away and it made my hair super soft... and the soap makes my face feel really clean.  So, some nice discoveries there! 

@@Reija, I totally relate - getting thank you (or any) cards in sub boxes always reminds me that I probably don't write enough thank you notes!

I think it'll be interesting to see what they come up with for the next box! 

I haven gotten my code yet. Boo. Really hoping i can order flowers to arrivecon my birthday sunday (well i guess they would have to arrive on Saturday)
Happy birthday!  Looks like the earliest estimated delivery date for any of the bouquets being offered is 9/9. I am so used to 1-800 flower type places with next day delivery that seems so long but these do look beautiful.

Anybody know which of those choices might be cat friendly? I'd hate to get something that kills my cats (which is why I typically avoid flowers!). I might just get some roses to play it safe!

Just a quick comment in defense of my "contrived" note that I wrote to LLB. I am in fact a customer, not a "customer", and the simplistic elegance of this subscription really makes my day. I stand beside that. And I do so without insulting the naysayers. Not everyone will love every box. That's fine. As my response received a more positive reception on Facebook, I'm not the only one who is a fan. And that's okay too.

To those of you who have not received the bouqs emails from LLB see #4 of this email:

We just sent an email with your Bouqs code and a few of you have had questions.  Here's an update in the event you've some trouble redeeming your code.

1) Your code is good towards any Volcano Collection bouquet.  (use the link provided in your first email - this will take you to that collection)

2)  Feel free to upgrade to the larger bouquet, your $40 code will be applied and you will simply pay the difference.  Your shipping will still be free.

3) If you're a new customer you will automatically see a WELCOME discount applied at checkout.  Discounts are not eligible to be stacked so simply clear out the WELCOME discount in order to use your LLB discount.  Feel free to save your WELCOME discount for your next purchase!

4) IF YOU HAVE NOT RECEIVED A CODE.  This could be a result of ticking the box that does not allow our system to send you marketing emails.  Once you opt-out of those emails our email system automatically takes you off our list.  If you have not received a code or you know someone has not received a code, please have them contact us at [email protected]

Wow.....I can't believe that they can't send an important communication email to people that don't want marketing emails. There is a difference. That needs to be fixed. Especially since LLB likes to include items in their boxes via future emails. Seems like a good way for them to save money by not having people be able or know how to redeem those items.

I have been a huge supporter of LLB based on their open commmunication. They seem to be slacking in that department and I hope it gets fixed. But now that I think about it....I don't know how open they really are. They went to bi-monthly because they couldn't keep up.....yet they ended up adding a NEW sub box for the off months that they can't keep up with. Seems like it would have just been simpler to keep LLB at monthly and just include the serendipity stuff in it at it's new cost....or just kept it monthly.

I'm a bit disappointed the bouquet I wanted isn't available to get. I thought it would be for any bouquet on the site, not just certain ones. 

@@Mountain Mama I think your comments were sweet and I'm glad you enjoyed the box. 

I ordered my flowers and paid the $10 to get extra ones to share. I had my heart set on sunflowers, so I was happy to see a bouquet available that had them. 

Also, I love the peach shea butter! I don't care if it's made by the Beekmans or concocted by elves in the girls' basement, it's divine. It cheers me up whenever I open the jar. I already used up all the Lollawhatever sugar scrub from June. 

Those two items make the box worthwhile for me, and I also enjoyed some of the Serendipity extras. Serendipity is shaping up to fill a void in its pricerange, for boxes that are more than just beauty samples.

I didn't care for the perfume or vase though, and this is the second box where I felt it wasn't a good fit. Nice items, just not 'me' items. In June I loved the ring and bath item, now it's flowers and bath item... I can kind of see where this is headed.

I didn't unsubscribe after the earlier fiasco because I wanted to give them a chance to learn from their mistakes. I noticed they use more neutral phrasing in the FAQ now, and there haven't been any recent outbursts. I take that as a good sign. 

But I'll probably move on soon and give another box a try. 

Back