Little Lace Box July Serendipity/August Box *SPOILERS*

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What an outrageous fail. This box is terrible. LLB used to curate the most lovely boxes, and I can't get over the fact that they have this theme that everyone was so excited about and blew it. To top it off, it's the one year anniversary of LLB. I'm just stunned that they feel comfortable charging so much for what they've been offering lately.

Serendipity is nice, but nothing I'd pay an extra 10$ for.

Let's get real about the box.

The vase is clearly supposed to be the hero item. It is valued at ~120...including shipping from the UK, which I would imagine comprises at least half of that figure, given their delicate nature. I'm sure some people will love it, but it's tiny. Moreover, the craftsmanship isn't particularly impressive. The free bouquet that is included with it is nice, and these are the only two items which are coherently thematic. The code isn't actually included-subscribers will receive an email from LLB.

Where things really go south are the other two box items.

The perfume is tiny...and awful. At least, mine is. I received Clara. It evokes an old granny scent (to me). I feel like including something like a perfume is a big risk because it scent is such a variable for every individual. Maybe a better idea would have been to include a voucher for the perfumes so there would have been a selection for each person.

The really infuriating item is the LLB branded shea butter. Are you kidding, LLB? I received the same cloying peach scent I received in the scrub a few boxes back. It's way too oily, and the fact that they value of at 20$ is laughable. People sub to this box for the curation of products from up and coming artisans, not for overpriced body butter anyone can make. I just don't respect that they're padding their boxes with their own product, and the reason for the inclusion made me roll my eyes ("Mr. Darcy wanted to 'smooth things over'..").

I got the perfume in Audry which says notes of jasmine, peony, rose and sandalwood. It is flowery but it is an oil which I prefer. I got the body butter in Lollabambooza. It smells very green, if that makes sense, and not overwhelming. On another note, my box was not taped at all. The flap could have easily opened up during shipping but I lucked out and everything was there.

@@MallyD84 would you sell your box?  I'm not sure if that has to be done elsewhere on the site.  If so, I apologize for not knowing the rules.  But I would buy it from you.  I know someone who would love it and I'm not going to give up my box to her.  Thanks

@@MallyD84 would you sell your box? I'm not sure if that has to be done elsewhere on the site. If so, I apologize for not knowing the rules. But I would buy it from you. I know someone who would love it and I'm not going to give up my box to her. Thanks
I'm not sure what the rules are either, but I'd absolutely sell it if your friend would like it.

So, my box came today, and I am a little mixed emotions. I actually love the vase. Will I use it for flowers, probably not. But I have a love affair with all things British, and I also love it's artisan made, and the story behind it, so for me, it's a treasure. I personally have an issue with perfume being put into these boxes (all boxes, not just LLB). Scent is SO personal, and I have never gotten a scent in any box that I could wear. Floral and musk, and most things give me a migraine, and all scents don't smell the same on everyone. I got peach in the body butter, I do like that ( food smells don't bother me, lol). But I think it should have been perfume or body butter. And of course the flower gift certificate is lovely. Also, the tea infuser is pretty great from Serendipity. Every box isn't going to be perfect for evryone. I can see time , and thought went into the curation. I just think instead of two scented body care items, maybe jewelery or a beautiful journal, and pen (with it being a literature box). Just my thoughts, LLB is still tops on my list.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
Mine just came. I like the vase better in person, but it's still too small to be of any use. I got the perfume in Audry, which is too floral for me to wear, so there is one item down the drain. I wish they had sent a voucher for the perfume, so that we could have chosen, because there are two that I would have loved, and three that I can't wear. I got the shea butter in the Lolla whatever. It is very green, and I will use it. But I feel rather ripped off for my first, and after this, only box. I could have bought TWO Pop Sugar boxes for the price.

Disappointed. Some people paid $60 for this box, and IMO that's a rip off for what you receive. I was really looking forward to this box with all the hype they gave saying "highest valued box yet" and we get a tiny vase, flowers (which I appreciate), a perfume, and Shea butter that's from the LLB brand? I'm constantly disappointed with their boxes now. Also, does anyone know how the theme fits this box because I don't see it! Overall, this month just wasn't for me, but now that I think of it I haven't truly enjoyed their boxes in quite some time. Compared to other subscription boxes they just don't do it for me anymore. I wish they would curate boxes like they did before, I guess they've gone downhill. Time to cancel.

Nothing in this box screams 18th/19tj century to me, let alone P&P. After so looking forward to my one of my favorite books in subscription box form, I'm very disappointed. Oh well, time to move on from LLB! The next theme doest interest me either.

What I don't get is that they switched to every other month to get things under control but then decided to start a whole new box/pouch for off months...I just wish I had the monthly ones still because I bought a year subscription right when they went to bi monthly and now I have two years! This is the first box I have been completely unhappy with. I hope it gets better because I do still love LLB.

I'm a bit bummed. This was my first LLB. I was intrigued by the company when I saw the Downton Abbey box...and I thought they nailed that theme! So, when I saw P&P, I thought, "This is my chance to get an awesome box like the Downton one." The vase is cute and the flowers are a nice touch. I understand the reasoning behind the fragrance (even though I recieved the one that excited me the least). But, the body butter is a stretch. It's a nice product but not what I expected with this theme. I think I was hoping for something literature related...maybe some thick stationery or a nice pen? I also wasn't expecting so much of the promised "value" to be in a single item (the vase). The box overall is not bad, it just (for me) didn't live up to the hype.

Thanks for posting! I just need to see that vase now lol...

Attaching pics of vase and contents of the box

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I have championed LLC, but every box I have gotten I always find myself thinking "well..maybe next time." I was very excited for this month, but underwhelmed upon the arrival of my box. Ripped open the box and was like, "oh."   The boxes from last year were SO my jam (I coveted that planner and pearls), but it is as if the taste profile of the box has changed. I hate to say that I am sorta regretting that I am locked in for two years.  I would have even been hyped with a literal interpretation of P&P - something like the Jane Austen Paddywax candle!...That vase is just...well, it just meets a very specific taste level - sort of like the perfume. And I liked the texture of the body butter, but the smell was just so overpowering.  However, I am thrilled for those who love this sub. and I really do hope that LLB does well. As for me, I have a box full of potential Christmas gifts stretching back to the February box.

Anyway....maybe next time!   =)

(..I wish I could find a box that was Anthropologie-like in style and feel. I'm not a mom, but Mommy Mailbox has had some past boxes that have come close! Any suggestions??) 

Ya'll, I hate to say it, but lets be honest here. That vase is tacky and has a childish feel. And to make it the "main" item in a (supposedly themed) Pride and Prejudice box? All due respect to the artisan, but this sort of thing is not for everyone. Maybe my red-hat-society-going aunt. I dunno. I can't believe the lack of sophistication this box has developed. 

Also...when it came to "up-and-coming" designers and artisans, I sure did not think it was going to be LLB hawking their own "brand" of stuff. 

I got my box and I am pleased. I really love the vase it matches the colors in my bedroom and I love fresh flowers, so the certificate is going to be used. My perfume oil was payton, and I like spicy scents. The Shea butter is going to be used also, it matches my scrub. The serendipity items were a bonus, plus we have another serendipity coming in September. Can't wait to see what authentic autumn brings for October. This box was a win for me.

Well, to be honest, I was kinda disappointed when I got the box..but, I love the flower Bouq voucher ( haven't received redeeming code yet), the tea infused is super clever and use it already, and I already swap couple of the other items for things I've coveted for a while on the swap site..would I have wish for something different for my first box? Yes, I thought I would be transposed to 18th century England, and really thought of diary/stationary, candle, vintage jewelry.. Hopefully next one is more in line would what I am dreaming of.. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />)

Thank you for sharing pictures and the Instagram link. I'm not subscribed to either sub service offered by LLB. I like the bud vase from what I seen in the pictures. I do understand how people can feel disappointed with the items. I hope that a few people will post their flowers once they arrive.

Now that I have the box in my hands I do like it a little better. I think the vase is cool and unique....it's just....I don't know. Not my taste and was kind of a disappointment that it was such a big ticket item. When we were told it was going to be the most $ box ever I was thinking of past big boxes where cool stuff kept coming. I might have liked it better if my expectations weren't set so high. On another note I really ended up like the perfume they sent me. It wasn't a huge full size one and the scent is lovely. I got Clara. I also liked the coconut mango sangria scented body cream I got. But I have so many body creams that I don't even know if I will ever make it to it. The flowers will be nice. But I have only liked flowers when they were from a loved one. Otherwise they just kind of a waste of money to me personally. I am curious about the tea infuser and the face and body wash bar. The thank you cards were just up my isle too.

For me this box is just OK. I received the perfume in Harper and the uou leave me peachless body butter, which is the same as my scrub from last box ( I wonder if they did that on purpose). I actually really like both those items, but I was hoping for a different perfume scent and the Lollapalooza butter. I have to admit, I am pretty underwhelmed with the vase. It's just so small, perhaps if it was bigger. I just can't believe how pricey it is. I just wish it wasn't the big ticket item. I was really hoping for a jewelry item too. I don't know exactly what to do with the vase. A few months ago I received a similar sized red vase in my POPSUGAR box and because its so small, it looks strange everywhere. Other than the vase I do like the box though

Back