Pan that Palette 2015

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's where I'm at. Wearing 3-4 shades at a time and averaging putting on makeup way more than ever before. It's the 15th and I've worn makeup 11 days so far if I've counted correctly.

Anyway please send good mojo my way today. My cat has to be put to sleep this evening and after 11.5 years... well it isn't easy. Today makeup was put on but not much is left. And I was smart enough to skip the mascara.

20150115_125738.jpg

20150115_125711.jpg

20150111_130421.jpg

Here's where I'm at. Wearing 3-4 shades at a time and averaging putting on makeup way more than ever before. It's the 15th and I've worn makeup 11 days so far if I've counted correctly.

Anyway please send good mojo my way today. My cat has to be put to sleep this evening and after 11.5 years... well it isn't easy. Today makeup was put on but not much is left. And I was smart enough to skip the mascara.
Oh my god, I am so sorry that you have to put your cat to sleep. I am so, so, sorry. I know that is one of the toughest things to have to decide for your pet, much less have to go through. I'm thinking of you and your poor kitty. 11.5 years is such a good life for a cat- I'm glad he/she had such a good home with you during that time. I can't express how sorry I am you  have to go through this, but I can tell you I've had to do this before with a 13 year old cat, and it's just horrible. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> My thoughts and prayers are with you and your cat.

My cat isn't doing so well either (got him in 2001) so I can totally relate.  We have had a lot of vet scares this year and it's so sad every time.  I am so sorry that you are going through this!  He's a handsome little guy, I love black cats. 

I'm so sorry that you're losing your friend. Thinking of you.

@@eastofthesun @@lauradiniwilk @@Natasha01

Thanks so much girls. It's been a day for sure. I know it's okay for me to be a hot mess when my husband has cried a couple times. But reading MUT has helped me through dark days before and it will again. I appreciate the kind words, prayers, and fellowship from everyone. For being semi-strangers this is definitely a place where I can go to smile :)

Okay enough for the sappy stuff - my less affectionate cat is going to have to just suck up the hugs and kisses for now :) She is the one in my icon picture :)

My cat isn't doing so well either (got him in 2001) so I can totally relate.  We have had a lot of vet scares this year and it's so sad every time.  I am so sorry that you are going through this!  He's a handsome little guy, I love black cats. 
I'm sorry to hear your kitty isn't doing well either. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> My cat right now is relatively young (5 years) but he's getting attacked by our neighbor's cat frequently so I'm always taking him to the vet. I want to keep  him inside, but he won't have any of it.

@@eastofthesun @@lauradiniwilk @@Natasha01

Thanks so much girls. It's been a day for sure. I know it's okay for me to be a hot mess when my husband has cried a couple times. But reading MUT has helped me through dark days before and it will again. I appreciate the kind words, prayers, and fellowship from everyone. For being semi-strangers this is definitely a place where I can go to smile :)

Okay enough for the sappy stuff - my less affectionate cat is going to have to just suck up the hugs and kisses for now :) She is the one in my icon picture :)
Awww, I'm glad we could help you feel a little better. I'm thinking of you today. Still so sorry that you have to go through this. Yes, your less affectionate cat will have to deal with it! I hope she doesn't miss him too much too. That really got to me when I lost my last cat. His brother was always searching for him and it made me just break down so much after. I hope that you don't have that happen, it makes it really hard to heal. Again, so sorry for your loss! ((HUGS))

Hey I wanted to ask you guys- on the topic of eyeshadow, do you find your shadows getting kind of oily? I don't have super oily lids, but I feel like I've been kind of... getting my palette a little dirty. Yuck. Sorry for the imagery, but the blush especially. I guess I need to be more adamant about cleaning my brushes. Do you ladies ever clean your palettes? I was thinking about spraying mine down with 90% alcohol this weekend since I got them kind of oily.... and then gently wiping them with a tissue. The bonus of this would be you also use it up faster, and are sanitary!!! YAY!

I found an article on cleaning makeup: http://www.xovain.com/how-to/clean-and-preserve-your-makeup

And here's a video by a different person:

Do any of you clean your eyeshadow palettes?

So sorry....(((hugs)))

And (((hugs))) to everybody else's fur babies!!! They are our kids!

Do you ladies ever clean your palettes?
I clean brushes every weekend and recently came up with the idea to mount clothespins so that I can quit setting up my absurd drying towel system. Clothespins can hold them upside-down so they dry properly. Yay!

Anyway, I am slightly obsessive about keeping the plastic of my palettes clean and have spritzed with alcohol maybe once every other month after reading about how you folks re-pan shadows so I figured it wouldn't hurt. I've never gone so far as to scrape off the top of them or anything but I'm definitely giving it some thought now!

@ SneakyBuritto @ crazycatlady82

Thanks girls :)

It's been rough but he definitely was a member of the family. We got him right after we were married and we don't have kids. Quite different around here.

@ lauradiniwilk I'm so sorry to hear about your cat too. It's just not easy when you let yourself get close to them.

Now back to the makeup...

I feel like I need an AA group. I fell off the wagon and went out of the house today with nothing on my face. Not even lip balm. While I'm frustrated at myself for not taking the time on a day when I definitely had it, I'm trying to focus on the positive that this is the first day that I've done it this year.

*AA members nodding in understanding and clapping at my ability to turn it into a positive.*

My head still isn't screwed back on quite right yet ;-) Work in progress.

I clean brushes every weekend and recently came up with the idea to mount clothespins so that I can quit setting up my absurd drying towel system. Clothespins can hold them upside-down so they dry properly. Yay!

Anyway, I am slightly obsessive about keeping the plastic of my palettes clean and have spritzed with alcohol maybe once every other month after reading about how you folks re-pan shadows so I figured it wouldn't hurt. I've never gone so far as to scrape off the top of them or anything but I'm definitely giving it some thought now!
For brushes I loop hair ties around the towel rack, it's amazing. Every once in a while I'll take a baby wipe to a palette but I don't use the majority of them enough for them to get to terribly dirty (hence me joining this topic recently, I still need to pick one to pan). My NARS palettes have looked filthy since day 1, but I know they get all messed up if you try to wipe them with alcohol thanks to pinksofoxy on YouTube.

Hey seagirl! Hope you're feeling a bit better this weekend. That clothespin idea is brilliant! I used to do a lengthy towel set-up too, but there is never enough space! I'm so going to use your idea!!! I need to wash some brushes tomorrow.

I am so sorry to hear that.  I know how hard it is to make that decision and I'm guilty of hanging on too long in the past.
(hugs) It's really hard to make that decision. My family waited too long before too, and it's just so sad.

@ SneakyBuritto @ crazycatlady82

Thanks girls :)

It's been rough but he definitely was a member of the family. We got him right after we were married and we don't have kids. Quite different around here.

@ lauradiniwilk I'm so sorry to hear about your cat too. It's just not easy when you let yourself get close to them.

Now back to the makeup...

I feel like I need an AA group. I fell off the wagon and went out of the house today with nothing on my face. Not even lip balm. While I'm frustrated at myself for not taking the time on a day when I definitely had it, I'm trying to focus on the positive that this is the first day that I've done it this year.

*AA members nodding in understanding and clapping at my ability to turn it into a positive.*

My head still isn't screwed back on quite right yet ;-) Work in progress.
I love how you turned it into a positive. Plus, don't be too hard on yourself- it's really hard to put time into your looks when you're hurting so much inside. (hugs)

For brushes I loop hair ties around the towel rack, it's amazing. Every once in a while I'll take a baby wipe to a palette but I don't use the majority of them enough for them to get to terribly dirty (hence me joining this topic recently, I still need to pick one to pan). My NARS palettes have looked filthy since day 1, but I know they get all messed up if you try to wipe them with alcohol thanks to pinksofoxy on YouTube.
Oh, I didn't know that about NARS palettes and alcohol. Good to know, thanks!

Also, I can't picture the hair tie thing, could you explain more or take a pic? Sounds like a great idea!

Ok I changed my mind about panning my unzipped palette. I'm gonna put it away for a good long while.

I've already hit pan on 3 of the shadows from Naked 3. I love that palette but my hubby surprised me with the naked 2 palette for Christmas and to my surprise it's my all time favorite!

Soooo...just for fun, I'm going to post pics of both palettes & see how much I've used by the end of the year. My goal is to hit pan not finish the entire palette. I love them too much.

Naked 3 has been used for a year.

Naked 2 is brand new (only had it for less than a month)

image.jpg

image.jpg

I have been panning my MUA heaven and earth palette since september and I will share my experience so far.

What I have learned:

- Eyeshadows take forever to finish.

- Even though I said that I would use any eyeshadows from my collection every other week I have only used other shadows a handful of times. (Due to my determination to finish this palette)

- I have neglected all the other beautiful shadows that I own.

I have decided to put pan that palette on hold for a while. I currently own 104 eyeshadows, and I don't want to have 92 of them sittning unused in a drawer while I try to use up 12. I want to enjoy every eyeshadow application, instead of being bored of the shadows I use when I have so many more shades to choose from. In my post back in september I said that I wouldn't buy any new eyeshadows until I use up the entire palette. I have kept this and I will continue to be on an eyeshadow no buy until this palette is used up, even if it takes three, four or five years instead of one.

I wish all of you the best of luck with your projects.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been panning my MUA heaven and earth palette since september and I will share my experience so far.

What I have learned:

- Even though I said that I would use any eyeshadows from my collection every other week I have only used other shadows a handful of times. (Due to my determination to finish this palette)

I have decided to put pan that palette on hold for a while. I currently own 104 eyeshadows, and I don't want to have 92 of them sittning unused in a drawer while I try to use up 12. I want to enjoy every eyeshadow application, instead of being bored of the shadows I use when I have so many more shades to choose from. In my post back in september I said that I wouldn't buy any new eyeshadows until I use up the entire palette. I have kept this and I will continue to be on an eyeshadow no buy until this palette is used up, even if it takes three, four or five years instead of one.

I'm glad you've arrived at the 'enjoy my things' conclusion.

I guess the great thing about this exercise is that it demonstrates to all of us with 50-plus eye shadows that the reality is we don't need more. Ah, we know that, right? If one is in the range of that, 1) you have a good range of the colours you like already (remember singles, palettes, free sample quads, sample singles... - there really is a huge range when you pull them all out), 2) you cannot use them up before they technically expire, and potentially even in a rare case 'go off'!, and 3) it will be an individual judgement call to choose to buy more because - all generally irrational, marketing stimulated, justifications - it is 'special' or 'a bit different' from what you have, or 'on sale', or will result in 'more points', or increase you to a 'bonus level', or don't have a 'backup for ...' or 'will run out of x soon' (though realistically have 'y' and 2 of 'z' that are almost the same and you might even prefer if you tried). I would not be surprised if some of us committed to no new eyeshadow for 15 years, and even then would have plenty left over (and most of it fine to use given the preservatives and the mostly uncontaminated condition when something has not been touched, especially with the products containing solely inert powders). But no new eyeshadow until 2030 sounds very difficult! If that 15-year-old future eyeshadow sounds scary, we really have to think about it now.. btw any eyeshadow purchased in 2000 is now 15! Wow! Odds are it's fine, but that's another one of those personal judgement things.

I know I'm in this "what is my motivation to purchase?" boat, but there's a department store counter bonus coming up. I'm glad these groups are here to emphasize how much I don't need anything and don't need to get that.

I'm impressed with your commitment to no-buy until you use up the palette and look forward to seeing what you use while you take a 'break' and how the progress continues. @@azalea97 along the same lines, I've had that 'save because I like it too much' thought too, but the question(s) can become: Now that I've saved it until 2030 do I really want to use what is left? and In the coming 15 years will there not be another multitude of shadow palettes I'll be tempted to buy as makeup and fashions continue to evolve? and What/who am I keeping this for if I really love it?

One of my really nice lippies went off recently. Part of my irrationale for not using it as much was 'this is a nice one, so I should use others so I can save this one for important things' and into the garbage it went. How sad would it be if in five years your Strange, Burnout, and Limit had plenty left (likely more than two years worth right now) but were growing 'something' because after you recently hit pan on them you started 'rationing' them? Why? It's not entirely fair to harp on all of this because, of course, makeup is a hobby and a source of great pleasure and social interaction for many of us, so we do 'invest' in it, but I think it would be awesome if you could get full use and enjoyment of your Naked III and II palettes azalea97, and if Huds and I could focus on our enjoyment and rotation through our 100-whatever eye shadows as a distraction from getting more!

What I have learned:

I saw an estimate that said there were about 75 applications in a single eyeshadow. If you have a light hand I imagine it would be much more than that. Enjoy your stash! While you're using up something you're not absolutely crazy about, your other products will be getting older and potentially expiring. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I will also be gracefully bowing out of this challenge ... I just don't wear makeup enough to justify setting aside all my other 36 eyeshadows/sets (singles/duos/trios/quads mostly) in my collection to focus on 10 eye shadows. Besides, the shadows I had originally chosen do not have any browns, and I'm becoming more of a neutral gal with occasional "other color" days (blues and purples on occasion).

I wish everyone good luck on their journey and will enjoy following along.

I am still participating in the 100 empties and no buy challenges, just not Pan That Palette.for this year.

Back