Pan that Palette 2015

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's where I'm at. Wearing 3-4 shades at a time and averaging putting on makeup way more than ever before. It's the 15th and I've worn makeup 11 days so far if I've counted correctly.

Anyway please send good mojo my way today. My cat has to be put to sleep this evening and after 11.5 years... well it isn't easy. Today makeup was put on but not much is left. And I was smart enough to skip the mascara.
Lots of support to you in getting through the next while after that furbaby. We lost our last dog nine years ago and I still tear up thinking of her sometimes. It was good for us to get a new rescue soon after, and I'm wondering whether we should get a second one for a buddy for her and a positive focus for us at the time of the elder's eventual loss. I feel so blessed with this one in our life; we are spoiled with this good girl. Maybe she can train junior? It is so sad to lose them. Our health is better with them, and even their health is improved by having the companionship with us when they are part of our family. Pet your cat or dog or visit with your pet today!

Welcome, welcome! We're so glad you joined. We don't mind at all having a new person around, on the contrary- we are glad to have another person in this with us!

That's such a good point about the dark shades- my palette has 3 dark shades that I won't be able to use up. Maybe I should add in a few single eyeshadows to the mix to really round this out. Thanks for the ideas!

Don't forget, everyone, to take a 'before' photo of your palettes by January 1!! It's so nice to have updated photos to give you a really good feeling about finishing your palettes!
I think it will be a good idea for me to commit to a few things too. As soon as I figure out exactly what will constitute my 'palette' (I have a lot of singles), I'll make sure to take a photo too! I'm currently considering a 2015-spanning goal of 'try all and use up three from my Silk Naturals UDNP dupe set, finish an eye pencil, and grab three 'older' lippies that I like to give consistent attention. Work in progress. In the meantime, I missed my Monday update for this week (was going to change out the eyeshadows finally), but I wore some makeup while at home today, so that was a plus!

Last edited by a moderator:
After having even MORE of crave crack and get all over the place, I am so ready to use up my UD Naked Basics palette...so I can justify getting a new one, haha.  I will take pics tonight, then I'll try to figure out how to post them (I still haven't learned on the "new" MUT, oops).

Oh and @seagirl...we had to put my cat to sleep last week too.  He was my little buddy for 14 years - I got him in college.  He was with me longer than any man in my life - I have only been with the hubs for 8.5 years!

It's almost a month in of usage of my BareMinerals Power Neutrals palette and I have very little progress. It's not even worth the time to take a photo. So discouraging and I don't really enjoy using it. But I am determined to hit pan on at least half the shades. This year is the "last hurrah" year for my collection. I am targeting my oldest products and if I don't finish or love it, out it goes. I hope I can hang in there with this palette cause it's really bringing me down. I do think it's good timing since BareMinerals released two 8.0 palettes that I would have immediately purchased if not for this project. Now I know that it's just not my favorite. I guess I will post a photo when I get home later. So not excited about this one.

image.jpg

I'm going to pan this palette in 2015! The pans are relatively small, the variety of colours is good, the quality is amazing, and it's good for travel! I've got dupes for all of the colours, though, so I feel good about panning it.
tumblr_niut2isLi71u5367zo7_400.jpg

I'm not going to pan the blush or brozer though, the bronzer is huge and I don't wear bronzer. The blush is a stupid shape to get my brush into.

It's almost a month in of usage of my BareMinerals Power Neutrals palette and I have very little progress. It's not even worth the time to take a photo. So discouraging and I don't really enjoy using it. But I am determined to hit pan on at least half the shades. This year is the "last hurrah" year for my collection. I am targeting my oldest products and if I don't finish or love it, out it goes. I hope I can hang in there with this palette cause it's really bringing me down. I do think it's good timing since BareMinerals released two 8.0 palettes that I would have immediately purchased if not for this project. Now I know that it's just not my favorite. I guess I will post a photo when I get home later. So not excited about this one.
Isn't that funny... I think these colours are beautiful, and are the sort I wouldn't get bored with very fast at all. I've been happily using all of three colours (Silk Naturals Flash, Alima Cocoa & Koan) since the beginning of this month, and have only chosen now to force a change to a specific 'pan project' simply so I can make sure to give some other colours some love.

But if you're not enjoying it, why push yourself? I'm glad you did arrive at the 'not your favourite' conclusion and hope you do find and use something else in your collection that you love more. I figure if the rationale is to use up stuff and discourage yourself from further spending (unless you can afford and want to spend, money, space, and peace-of-mind-wise), it might be better achieved through enjoyment 'the good things' you already have. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Along the lines of using 'the good stuff', my 2015 (though sort of starting a bit late..) projects, keeping in mind I should use things I like, and enjoy what I have are:

1. Alima pearluster eyeshadow Ballerina
  2. Silk Naturals mineral eyeshadow Bare Necessities Set 1 (similar to UD Naked Palette)  [for reference Restless, Trouble, Bare Back, Caliber, Loaded, Saddle Up, Stag, Scout, Colt, Action, Blue Steel, Magnum] & Bone
  3. Silk Naturals chromatic cream eye color Tribeca, Grand Central, Gramercy
  4. Pür Minerals eye pencil Onyx
  5. Honeybee Gardens lipsticks Romance, Tuscany; Revlon lip butter Pink Truffle; 100% Pure lip glaze Lychee; Clinique lipstick Tenderheart; Silk Naturals lip products Fashionista, Blushberry (only one that's 'just to use up' as a moistening 'at home' balm), Raindrops On Roses, and actual palette in Nice Nudes: Nice Tan, Maiden, Centerfold, Desire, Bon Bon
  6. Alima satin matte blush Honey Rose
My goal will be to focus on these, but I intend to also play with others if I'm inclined. I hope that with having these out 'to use', I'll finish them before they spoil and I'll enjoy more products on a regular basis! Though most of these aren't palettes, I'll try to add pics for monitoring progress soon, since I know I love seeing others'.

nail polishes, hmm.. Whenever I can't decide, I'll grab the next one from the bottom of the list; that would mean Zoya Zuza, Ziv, and Yummy are on my list as contenders for the next mani. But I don't have any desire to 'hit pan' on these!

Oh and @seagirl...we had to put my cat to sleep last week too.  He was my little buddy for 14 years - I got him in college.  He was with me longer than any man in my life - I have only been with the hubs for 8.5 years!
I'm so sorry you had to put your kitty down too.

It's funny, I was so excited when I bought the palette I'm currently panning, but then I lost excitement for it fast because I never actually used it and now that I'm panning it, people are telling me how they'd like to have it and that it's pretty (similar to the fact that your BareMinerals palette is gorgeous to me) and it's making me more excited about it. Also, in using it I'm finding I like it way more than I thought when I lost interest.

The thing about this project for me is, I don't know if I really can pan the palette- any of the shades, but I'm darn sure going to try because I don't wear eyeshadow very much, and this is, if nothing else, at least forcing me to use it, learn how to use it, how to be creative with it, and up my skills.

I'm going to pan this palette in 2015! The pans are relatively small, the variety of colours is good, the quality is amazing, and it's good for travel! I've got dupes for all of the colours, though, so I feel good about panning it.

I'm not going to pan the blush or brozer though, the bronzer is huge and I don't wear bronzer. The blush is a stupid shape to get my brush into.
Good idea! That's a great palette to pan. Do you really keep it on your phone? That would be so cute!

Hmm, yeah, those blush pans are tiny. Doh!

Ladies, my blush in my palette is starting to look kind of oily, like I transfered some oil from my face to my brush to my blush. That's upsetting to me and I want to clean it before it hardens like some powders do sometimes. Yuck, sorry for the gross visuals, but I guess I'm going to have to clean my palette regularly, along with my brushes which I clean weekly. It's just... I'm just too oily. Jeez !

The thing about this project for me is, I don't know if I really can pan the palette- any of the shades, but I'm darn sure going to try because I don't wear eyeshadow very much, and this is, if nothing else, at least forcing me to use it, learn how to use it, how to be creative with it, and up my skills.
I'm starting to feel that way too, after a month.  I feel like I haven't made a dent in any of the pans.  But, I'm starting to experiment with darker colors and I've worn eyeshadow every day that I went to work.

@@Monika1 & @@lauradiniwilk

Thanks girls :) And I am so sorry to hear you had to let go too @@lauradiniwilk

I'm still pretty motivated on my palette. I'm a life-long makeup wearer but at 34 still have very little confidence in my ability. I might have started with just wanting rid of a palette but it has turned into so much more! I have taken the time to watch youtube videos, practice on the weekend, and use more vivid colors. AND that led me to the 100 empties challenge, a low buy, and organizing my sample surplus for swapping / selling on ebay.

I owe it to you all for the gentle nudges, support, and for coming up with this thread!

I will be lurking in this thread I want to pan a palette but not sure where to start. Good luck ladies!
Me too. I just shipped a niece two starlook palettes I was pretending to like and also to declutter before my UD vice ltd arrives today. I am newer to eyeshadow and palettes so I don't have tons but if I make any progress along the way I'll post it here. I may try to use up a Stila face palette that I haven't even started using yet but it's small and manageable. I also will probably at least pan a coastal scent sample set of 4 neutrals. Since I don't have a neutral set I use this a lot as a base.

I don't wear it on the weekends.  There's something strange about the idea of wearing eyeshadow when I'm at home in my PJs.  So I'm only wearing it for the second day today.
This made me laugh because I have to be so professional with colors during the week on weekends I go crazy especially if it's a pj day.
My kids know don't ask mommy why she disappeared for an hour and has pink and gold glitter on 1 eye and green and purple on the other. It's mommy playing with her makeup...

This made me laugh because I have to be so professional with colors during the week on weekends I go crazy especially if it's a pj day.
I work at a law firm.  You'd think I would have to be professional during the week.  But no one has ever said a word about anything I wear -- makeup or clothes.  (Sometimes the receptionist or one of the paralegals compliments my shoes or nails or something.  But I've never been told to tone it down.)  And I wear bright, bright lipstick (berry, deep red, neon fuchsia, you name it), odd nailpolish colors (including yellow and green), turquoise eyeliner, etc.  The palette I am working on is mostly neutrals with some pinkish tones so I haven't gone too crazy with eyeshadow colors.

Aww, so sorry to hear that. Hugs, snuggles, fur balls, and commemorative demands for dinner from my fur baby over here. They're each so special with their specific affection and personalities. It helped me a fair bit to get my new little being soon. I still miss her; but the void of 'patrolling presence' just felt very strange, so getting acquainted with our new girl was, for me at least, a helpful and distracting process.

It helped me a fair bit to get my new little being soon. I still miss her; but the void of 'patrolling presence' just felt very strange, so getting acquainted with our new girl was, for me at least, a helpful and distracting process.
I understand that completely.

I started 2012 with five cats and an older Rottweiler.  About midway through the year, I had to have one of the cats put down (but not for lack of trying every possible veterinary intervention, to the tune of $7000 or so -- which I did not have, being on a grad student stipend at the time).  Anyway, the other four cats meant that part of my life wasn't too empty (and thankfully I still have all of them).

And then my dog died suddenly towards the end of 2012.  I was kind of lost without a dog for 6-7 weeks but I finally found a Rottweiler breeder who was semi-close and who didn't want more than a month's pay for a puppy.  So I met him halfway in Chattanooga (he was in Knoxville, and I am near Atlanta) and got a new dog.  And she is wonderful.  Healthy and good-natured and goofy and smart and lots of other good qualities.

Isn't that funny... I think these colours are beautiful, and are the sort I wouldn't get bored with very fast at all. I've been happily using all of three colours (Silk Naturals Flash, Alima Cocoa & Koan) since the beginning of this month, and have only chosen now to force a change to a specific 'pan project' simply so I can make sure to give some other colours some love.

But if you're not enjoying it, why push yourself? I'm glad you did arrive at the 'not your favourite' conclusion and hope you do find and use something else in your collection that you love more. I figure if the rationale is to use up stuff and discourage yourself from further spending (unless you can afford and want to spend, money, space, and peace-of-mind-wise), it might be better achieved through enjoyment 'the good things' you already have. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
I know it looks really pretty but some of the colors are really chalky, which could be my fault for not using it when it was fresh. The shimmery bronze shade is my favorite and goes on real smooth so I do enjoy that color. I am determined to hit pan on a few shades in this palette. I'm not going to try to finish it completely. I want to see how long it will take me to hit pan on an eyeshadow. Like the rest of you can relate, I just HAD to have it then proceeded to squirrel it away for a special occasion. I'm on an eyeshadow no buy for the rest of the year! Ridiculous! The nice thing is that I don't have to think about my eyeshadow in the mornings. I pretty much have it down using this palette. Saving myself from brain fatigue.

Here is my January progress. I can see an impact, but not as much as I want! I'm proud to say I've tried every single color multiple times and am probably in makeup 6 days of the week right now (it's a very busy time for me visiting students in their field placements all over the east coast).

I'll check in again at the end of Feb / beginning of Mar. I'm not touching my Hourglass Color Field palette until I hit pan on at least 1 color!

Edited to add an apology for the lighting. I'm in a hotel and it is dreadfully dim!

2015-02-01 18.49.43.jpg

2015-02-01 18.50.31.jpg

3 months in and I finally hit pan on my first shadow! It's the cream shadow in the front row, 2nd from the left. I cleared out the back of the pan and finally hit the bottom of the pan. I use this everyday from my crease to my brow. I really only use the 4 shadows on the left side so I don't have high expectations of hitting pan on all the shadows. But it's so good to see progress!

image.jpg

Back