Sample Society September 2014 - Spoilers & Discussion

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right now everyone gets the same box, although some products may have color variations. They have said in the future they may do some customization, but as of right now it is the same across the board.
Since too much variation leads to crazed "bag envy" (with subscriptions like Ipsy), less variation is probably better. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

If tan towels were currency, I'd be mega rich! Anything beyond the first spoiler in this box is gravy though. If they were going to send these out, I'm glad they are sending it now with such a high value item also included.

Exactly how I feel. Not thrilled by this spoiler but I kind of expected the other products to be lame since they are giving us an $85 eye cream. For me, the eye cream already makes the box worth it. I'm selfishly still hoping the next spoiler will be better though...

I'm thinking about subscribing for the first time. Does Sample Society just send out one box or do they send out a variety of boxes like Birchbox?
For now everyone is getting the same box. There can be color variations though if the products is a makeup or nail item.

I cancelled (for this month).

1) I don't really *need* a separate eye cream

2) I don't like anti-aging stuff, and I haven't seen enough to convince me that this cream doesn't have anti-aging

3) I loved the comment earlier in this thread to just use it as a regular moisturizer or body lotion if I end up not liking it as an eye cream, BUT then I went and looked at my huge stash of moisturizers/lotions/body creams and realized I do NOT need or want anything else.

With 2/5 items as a total bust (and one of those being the major $$$ item of the box), I thought it best to cancel.  Because I had it already budgeted into my September low-buy, I'll decide if I want to use that $15 for either an indie order or a second Birchbox for October (I find the 100 point codes and cancel/reorder for the next month, Sept is already paid for).

Haha sorry so super-rambly, I just like to talk myself through my reasoning and justifications!

I bet the 3rd product is a black eyeliner. Because they are as boring as self- tanning for me. I can tan 11 months out of the year. Sometimes all 12 if I want to, but I don't because it's not healthy. 

I am new this month, how many spoilers do they release each month? :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
They released 3 last month, but since this is only their 3rd month since relaunch, and month #1 they revealed the whole box, it might be different this month. We'll have to wait and see! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

We may have a clue here.  On facebook, they asked what else we thought we may get .

A person said this:

"How about something for the body.... Cream or wash!! "

And the Beauty Bar rep said this:

"Those sound like good ideas for the September box Liz! Maybe they are one of the other 3 items. ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> shhhh "

Last edited by a moderator:
Not jazzed about the self tanner, but happy to see Tarte. Now that they're under new ownership, I wonder if they're trying to market their products a little more aggressively.

Right now everyone gets the same box, although some products may have color variations. They have said in the future they may do some customization, but as of right now it is the same across the board.

For now everyone is getting the same box. There can be color variations though if the products is a makeup or nail item.
Okay. Thanks!   :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

We may have a clue here.  On facebook, they asked what else we thought we may get . A person said this:"How about something for the body.... Cream or wash!! "And the Beauty Bar rep said this:"Those sound like good ideas for the September box Liz! Maybe they are one of the other 3 items. ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> shhhh "
I hope it is a cream.

I really do not want Sample Society to start sending boxes with multiple creams/lotions/moisturizers.  That is the reason I quit last year. We are getting the eye cream and that should be the only cream in the box IMHO.
I definitely can see where you're coming from! If they are still sticking with kind of the skin/hair/body/nails/makeup, then I would imagine the Tarte towlettes might take the place of the hair or nail item this month, since we have the eye cream and a hint at a body product. Which would leave potentially one or two makeup items, still.

I honestly don't know. I wasn't subscribed before the revamp, and there haven't been enough "new" boxes to establish a precedent. So yeah, I definitely hope they don't fall back into old routines.

My fingers are crossed that it's a shower cream!  I can definitely do without a second moisturizer in the box, but I love shower gels, and I think the only shower cream I've tried is Bath & Body Works, and, well, meh.  A fancy one would be great to try.  A shower gel would not be unacceptable.  They have a lot of brands I would love to try (*super* curious about the Rodial bathing balm) as well as several I already know I love.

I like spoiler #2! I'm thrilled with the eye cream, but I'm happy to see anything Tarte. I can always use more tan Towelettes. It makes my makeup look better during those months when I can't get any sun.

I just signed up for this box and am really excited. I bought a yearly sub to glossybox a couple months ago and haven't been impressed the last 2-3 months so I am really regretting it. Because of this I have been looking for a beauty box that would give me products that I will use and enjoy even if I don't buy them after I finish the sample. I saw the spoiler for the first box after it was revamped but never took the plunge. 

Once I saw that eye cream and value I was sold plus $15 for a box is not bad at all. The few reviews I read on the eye cream really sold me. I'm almost 24 and have been using clinique's all about eyes for a little over a year. It has helped lighten up my dark circles but not as much as I would like plus under one eye I have a few fine lines so I am hoping this cream will help. The tanning towels are not my thing but maybe I will swap them or find someone that would like to have them. Like others have said the rest is a bonus. I am hoping we find out another spoiler soon. 

Also, when I purchased my box it said that the boxes will begin shipping Sept. 5th. For those that have gotten this box in the past how is their shipping? I hate waiting over a week for a box, it drives me crazy. Haha

I just signed up for this box and am really excited. I bought a yearly sub to glossybox a couple months ago and haven't been impressed the last 2-3 months so I am really regretting it. Because of this I have been looking for a beauty box that would give me products that I will use and enjoy even if I don't buy them after I finish the sample. I saw the spoiler for the first box after it was revamped but never took the plunge. 

Once I saw that eye cream and value I was sold plus $15 for a box is not bad at all. The few reviews I read on the eye cream really sold me. I'm almost 24 and have been using clinique's all about eyes for a little over a year. It has helped lighten up my dark circles but not as much as I would like plus under one eye I have a few fine lines so I am hoping this cream will help. The tanning towels are not my thing but maybe I will swap them or find someone that would like to have them. Like others have said the rest is a bonus. I am hoping we find out another spoiler soon. 

Also, when I purchased my box it said that the boxes will begin shipping Sept. 5th. For those that have gotten this box in the past how is their shipping? I hate waiting over a week for a box, it drives me crazy. Haha
I live on an island to the east of MA, and this subscription box is the fastest one I get. Most of the time I get my box between the 7-10.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm so happy to see Sample Society making a comeback!

They are such a great company...with the most AMAZING customer service on the planet.

I had been a subscriber for almost 2 years and quit because I wanted more variety.

But now that Allure stepped up to the plate and started curating the boxes,

I will be back for sure.

Going to pass on this month though even with that amazing spoiler.

(I have more skincare than I could ever possibly use thanks to Memebox)

Enjoy your boxes everyone!

Back