Ipsy/MyGlam: November 2012

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by Kyuu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by bluelion /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yeah, I would've thought the extra items would be in place of the nail polish instead of the gloss. Funny.
They said on their ad that the moxie gloss would be replaced. "Please note: bareMinerals is not available for Canadian November Glam Bag subscribers. They will receive another product in its place."

Also, pardon me for not knowing a lot about import rules, but what's the deal with nail polish being problematic? I'm kind of surprised by that considering Julep has Canadian and American subscribers and they seem to operate without problems (er on the shipping products to Canada end at least)

Two reasons as far as I know. The first is that there is an import duty which means the person getting it must pay tax on it. No idea if that's accurate or not but here's what I found on duty rates for importing nail polish into Canada.

http://www.dutycalculator.com/dc/28698496/health-beauty/skin-cosmetics-tanning/eye-makeup/import-duty-rate-for-importing-cosmetics-makeup-and-nail-polish-from-united-states-to-canada-is-6.5/ The import duty rate for importing cosmetics makeup and nail polish into Canada is 6.5% . The import GST depends on the province. Below you find a table with import duty & sales tax rates for importing cosmetics makeup and nail polish into other countries.

The second comes from the USPS site where it's prohibited to send polish via USPS because nail polish is considered hazardous.

https://www.usps.com/ship/can-you-ship-it-internationally.htm Many household items can’t go in the mail.

Hazardous materials come in a wide variety of forms and can be chemical, biological, radioactive, or a combination.

The Postal Service'sâ„¢ definition of a hazardous material includes many common household and consumer products. They may not be dangerous on your shelf at home, but they can become a hazard when shaken or when the temperature or pressure changes.

Some common hazardous materials include…

• Perfumes
  • Nail polish
  • Flea collars or flea sprays
  • Aerosols
  • Bleach
  • Pool chemicals
  • Paints
  • Matches
  • Batteries
  • Fuels or gasoline
  • Airbags
  • Dry ice
  • Mercury thermometers
  • Cleaning supplies
  • Items previously containing fuel
  • Glues
  • Fireworks

Not sure if what you’re sending is hazardous or prohibited?  Just call 1-800-ASK-USPS or your local Post Office.

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The second comes from the USPS site where it's prohibited to send polish via USPS because nail polish is considered hazardous.
Actually, you can send NP through USPS though. I mean, among us who trade, I'm sure many of us had, but I've actually gone up to a counter at USPS once and told them straight up I had liquid in my package so it needed to be sent ground. I was asked what it was and I said nail polish (since I thought that would be most objectionable) and they told me it should be fine.

It seems more like there are shipping RESTRICTIONS on it than anything else. But thanks for letting me know :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I was going to send her NP for christmas but I guess that's out of the question now. Hm... it will be gifted to someone else and I will think of a better gift <3

Do anyone know if theres a Cyber Monday sake going on? I missed the Meet Matte promo =( and read somewhere that Ipsy will have a 40% discount with free shipping.

I think a lot of us (me included) have said the quality of the eyeliner is drugstore brand quality. I mean I don't intensely dislike it, but I don't feel like it's worth $11 like a prestige brand of eyeliner. I don't feel that the hardness is/was the problem... just the quality itself and how much it smudges or doesn't last.
totslly agree with you on this

I think a lot of us (me included) have said the quality of the eyeliner is drugstore brand quality. I mean I don't intensely dislike it, but I don't feel like it's worth $11 like a prestige brand of eyeliner. I don't feel that the hardness is/was the problem... just the quality itself and how much it smudges or doesn't last.
Some drugstore eyeliner are quite good. My HG pencil eyeliner is Revlon Colorstay. It sits on my lashline for over 12hrs without smudging and just minimal fading LIKE A BOSS, when my UD pencil that I got from my glambag would do the same thing but are more expensive.

I don't think the starlet liner can even last 5hrs. Especially I can always use $11 to get 2 of those when they're on sale.

I haven't tried my eyeliner yet, but I got Chocolate (it seems like a ton of other people that got, too). From reading everything on here, I'm kind of nervous to try it out. I'm putting it off because I got the Sephora Favorites eyeliner sampler set a couple days before I got this month's MyGlam, so I have a bunch of new eyeliners to play with, but should I even waste my time with the one that came in MyGlam?

I haven't tried my eyeliner yet, but I got Chocolate (it seems like a ton of other people that got, too). From reading everything on here, I'm kind of nervous to try it out. I'm putting it off because I got the Sephora Favorites eyeliner sampler set a couple days before I got this month's MyGlam, so I have a bunch of new eyeliners to play with, but should I even waste my time with the one that came in MyGlam?
Give it a shot.. everyone likes different stuff. Something I may love you may hate and vice versa. I would never discount anything without trying it first and its not like you paid a ton of money for it.

Originally Posted by heartsandwhimsy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by shandimessmer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Give it a shot.. everyone likes different stuff. Something I may love you may hate and vice versa. I would never discount anything without trying it first and its not like you paid a ton of money for it.

That's a good point. I will try it. I really want to like it, since it's pretty cheap for an eyeliner, so I'll keep an open mind while trying it:) Thanks!

Originally Posted by CinD /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Do anyone know if theres a Cyber Monday sake going on? I missed the Meet Matte promo =( and read somewhere that Ipsy will have a 40% discount with free shipping.
not SAKE, I meant "deal/promo." sorry. lol

Originally Posted by shandimessmer /img/forum/go_quote.gif

oh I didn't know they gave out different colors.. I thought everyone got black. Good to know.  

So my co-blogger got a chance to write the review and posted pictures on our blog, and these are the two items in the bag that weren't in the US bags:

I'm guessing this means they're going to be issuing the entire set of MG brushes to their new Canadian subscribers... it seems to be a bonus item though rather than one of the main items. Lucky!

So my co-blogger got a chance to write the review and posted pictures on our blog, and these are the two items in the bag that weren't in the US bags:

I'm guessing this means they're going to be issuing the entire set of MG brushes to their new Canadian subscribers... it seems to be a bonus item though rather than one of the main items. Lucky!
The brush and case came in the March 2011 MyGlam bags while the Eclos came in the August bags. I'm wondering how many of those brush sets are left and it's kind odd they'd be giving the case away since it has the old Myglam name rather than the new Ipsy name.

The brush and case came in the March 2011 MyGlam bags while the Eclos came in the August bags. I'm wondering how many of those brush sets are left and it's kind odd they'd be giving the case away since it has the old Myglam name rather than the new Ipsy name.
Interesting! I didn't think about it having the old name.

They must have a lot of extras if they were able to send them all to Canadian subscribers! They're nice extras to have in bags though. I wonder if they'll continue sending the other brushes in future bags.

I like the brushes MyGlam sent out EXCEPT the big fluffy one. It's too big for my personal tastes.

I like the brushes MyGlam sent out EXCEPT the big fluffy one. It's too big for my personal tastes.
I remember when I first started with sub boxes and staying away from MyGlam because  of what people were saying on YouTube.  

The biggest complaint I heard about the brushes was that they had a funky smell to them?  For those who got them - was this the case for you?

Originally Posted by JimmyJazz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I remember when I first started with sub boxes and staying away from MyGlam because  of what people were saying on YouTube.  

The biggest complaint I heard about the brushes was that they had a funky smell to them?  For those who got them - was this the case for you?
They did have a gasoline-type smell when I first got them. Some of the bags did as well, I think. The odor dissipated over time which was good. The bags Ipsy sends now are fine though!

Originally Posted by lovelywhim /img/forum/go_quote.gif

They must have a lot of extras if they were able to send them all to Canadian subscribers! They're nice extras to have in bags though. I wonder if they'll continue sending the other brushes in future bags.
As I can recall they were selling the brush and brush holder for $12 in myglam store or something? I have no idea what happened to the online store now. lol

Yes there was a funky smell but that was due to the glue the previous fulfillment used to close the bags. Since they switched to their current fulfillment center the bags and products don't reek. When I visited the warehouse in March - when it was still Fulfilco they were using - the products didn't smell but when the bag actually arrived it smelled horrible. I'm absolutely convinced it was the glue they used and the switch to the new company really cinched it for me.

Back