Ipsy/MyGlam: November 2012

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Less than impressed with the bag this month.. I will use the brow gel and eyeshadow, even though I have a ton of brown eye shadows and a cheap clear mascara works better than this product to keep brows in place. It's a great bag, especially considering how much they improved.   I think it's also kinda funny, I'm seeing alot of the same Ipsy products on peoples trade sites..

Originally Posted by lilsxkitten /img/forum/go_quote.gif

a cheap clear mascara works better than this product to keep brows in place.
I have to agree with you on this point. I'll use it up, but my tube of Maybelline Great Lash in clear has much better hold than the Chella. That said, it's not a product that gets daily use on my part anyway, so I'm not too bummed about it. Still glad I got it instead of the Benefit mascara.

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The mascara was intended for the 1st 1,000 new subscribers if I recall correctly and Ipsy has well over 50,000 subscribers so the chances of getting a mascara was slim. I wish everyone could have received a mascara because I think people would have been happier with that then the Chella.
I think the mascara was "guaranteed" to the first 1000 new subscribers, but that other members could also receive the mascara. I wasn't a new member this month and I got the mascara. Which was nice since I had wanted to try it and now I don't have to spend $10 at Sephora.

Thank you ladies for clarifying that. My daughters and I all got Chella which is fine. I used it today and it's okay but I won't be buying a full size of it.

Originally Posted by tinkerbll695 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think the mascara was "guaranteed" to the first 1000 new subscribers, but that other members could also receive the mascara. I wasn't a new member this month and I got the mascara. Which was nice since I had wanted to try it and now I don't have to spend $10 at Sephora.
And it was the first 1000 subscribers after that email came out.  I was a new subscriber, but I signed up before it went out, and I got the brow gel.  I'm fine with not getting mascara, though, because I already have something like five miscellaneous tubes of mascara from various subscription boxes (plus a ModelCo coming from Birchbox this week), but I don't use the stuff *at all*.  I know I could theoretically swap it, but I have a lengthy swap list (including a few of the aforementioned mascaras) that I'm having problems shortening because I have so much stuff it's hard to find stuff up for swap that I don't already have.  With the brow gel, I probably won't use it, either, but I will feel less guilty for using it a few times and tossing it (I tried it once, and even though I was able to get enough gel out of the tube to use, it didn't seem to do anything for me).

Originally Posted by fayeX /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I just found a new way to make use of the bag: protecting cotton pads in your handbag :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

This idea came to me because I bought an 'always radiant kit' in pharmacy and found the bag in it is just the size of ipsy bag.
i keep so much crap in little bags in my LV bags to minimize the likely hood of a spill; tampons and meds in one, lipgloss and makeup touch ups in another, pen and notetaking supplies in one, gum and mints in another. Target Beauty bags and myglam have kept me well stocked in the little bag department

Originally Posted by gypsiemagic /img/forum/go_quote.gif

i keep so much crap in little bags in my LV bags to minimize the likely hood of a spill; tampons and meds in one, lipgloss and makeup touch ups in another, pen and notetaking supplies in one, gum and mints in another. Target Beauty bags and myglam have kept me well stocked in the little bag department
I absolutely love getting a new bag each month from Ipsy! I use all of the ones that I have and am sure I'll find uses for future bags as well.

It kind of pisses me off though, that by "guaranteeing" the macara to their first 1000 new subbies, it's kind of admitting they know it was a better "OR" product. I got the brow gel but could've benefitted much more from the mascara. I've been a member since they started, don't I get something awesome for sticking it out with them and being a loyal customer, or do they only save the good stuff to bring in more new subscribers?

Originally Posted by Baberanza /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It kind of pisses me off though, that by "guaranteeing" the macara to their first 1000 new subbies, it's kind of admitting they know it was a better "OR" product. I got the brow gel but could've benefitted much more from the mascara. I've been a member since they started, don't I get something awesome for sticking it out with them and being a loyal customer, or do they only save the good stuff to bring in more new subscribers?
I kind of saw the mascara as not a better product, but a better recognized product by a popular brand that would get 1000 people to sign up really quickly. But I get what you mean - the mascara probably would have been liked (or used) by a lot more subscribers than the brow gel. It would have be nice if the "or" products were the same type of product, like two mascaras, but by different brands. 

But after getting TheBalm mascara last month, the Benefit one this month, and the Modelco in my BB I'm really, really hoping that the December ipsy does not have any mascara :p

I love this month's bag.  My mom actually stole the bag itself cause she liked it but that's ok cause I have lots of makeup bags.  The bag is cute though.

I am surprised I actually got the brow gel.  I was sure since I am getting mascara in my birchbox (that's right still haven't gotten my box yet) that I would be getting the mascara.  I'm very happy with the bag. 

I agree.

yeah, same lol. I think it makes more sense for variety's sake to give the mascara to newcomers, but it would've been fun to try. to be fair, Birchbox is a lot worse about advertising stuff you'll never get in your box--for Ipsy, you know you'll be receiving all but one of the products that everyone else will.

Originally Posted by tinkerbll695 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

But after getting TheBalm mascara last month, the Benefit one this month, and the Modelco in my BB I'm really, really hoping that the December ipsy does not have any mascara :p

Okay, so I got a free bracelet in the mail from ChicPeek as part of a promotion. They also gave me a "$10 giftcard" for their site, but everything is $30 and I don't really have any use for it, so if anybody wants my code (first come, first serve) it is BFF5792

Redeem at ChicPeek.com

I don't think they reserved all of the samples of mascara for 1000 spots for the next 24 four subscribers.  That would mean that relatively few people would have gotten the mascara out of 40,000 people.  We have been seeing too many people on Youtube and on MuT for all of those people to have gotten the mascara. I think they had more than 1000 samples and some were distributed to current subscribers, but they definitely did use 1000 of the samples to entice people to come and join.  But my reasoning behind that promotion was not that Ipsy was trying to short-change their older subscribers. Maybe they wanted to give the new subscribers a chance to sample a mascara the same way older subscribers did (since last month we ALL got the sample of theBalm bodybuilder mascara.) 

I rejoined myglam this month after swearing after cancelling in Feb that I would never join again.  I was really impressed with everything in this month's bag.  It was all make-up and all stuff I can use! 

Originally Posted by gypsiemagic /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ooh, this is a great idea.  I definitely have bags with ink stains in the liner because of a loose pen floating around.  Love the idea of categorizing everything and giving each its own bag.  Now I know what to do with all my ipsy bags. 

p.s. the brown one this month was so pretty that my husband actually commented on it....and he's not the type to normally comment on a makeup bag.  I'm really happy with Ipsy so far!

Just peeked on Hautelook and theBalm's on Thursday!  And then on Friday there's something called "Hautelook Beauty Bag" - wonder what that is?!

Decided to give the Starlet eyeliner a proper shot today and ugh, 6 hours in and I have panda eyes. I don't even line my lower lids and I didn't wear mascara today so yep it's all on the eyeliner.

I mean I guess it takes some drugstore brands 3-4 hours to give me panda eyes so this is slightly "better" but still disappointing. :

Back