Ipsy/MyGlam: November 2012

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by skylola123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I love getting mascaras I don't think I have bought a single mascara since this summer maybe around May. 

I have gotten several from trades & from beauty subscriptions. 

And of course lipglosses which are all right but would prefer to see more than lipglosses. The eyeshadows were actually a very nice surprise and the hair oil since I haven't seen much from subscriptions or at least I haven't received any. 
I have been very happy with MyGlam, especially since they improved. I feel like they offer more makeup than Birchbox, although I love my Birchbox, too. There isn't a product that I mind getting, since I have several outlets for products I won't use (trading mostly, and I also regularly put together beauty boxes for my mom, my best friend, my aunt, and another close friend).

I appreciated that the Mirenesse was more than just a gloss, but also a stain. I haven't even tried it yet, but it looks right up my alley. I usually do get hair oil in subs, which I don't use, but they trade well.

I thought the eyeshadows were a great idea. I am still trading them, since they are not unique to my collection. But it's not their fault that I have more eyeshadow choices than any other type of makeup. For nail polish and eyeshadow these days, I finally convinced myself to only get ones that don't look like what I have already. I'm having more success with the eyeshadow aspect than the nail polish aspect. ("They're not the same, they're similar"...)

Sometimes I think I'm the only person in the world who genuinely likes Great Lash... I love that I can use a thousand coats without it getting flaky or clumpy.

Originally Posted by sleepykat /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I hope to get the Benefit They're Real mascara, but I'm obsessed with mascara. I have 14 in my drawer on average. I only use one at a time, and I don't open the others until I'm ready to try them, so they don't dry out. Most are from subs and trading. I just want to try all mascaras for some reason. My favorite so far is Maybelline Falsies (original). L'Oreal Voluminous worked great, too, and their Millionize one. Great Lash is by far the worst mascara I have ever tried; the only reason I can think of why it would be #1 in sales or ratings is from people who have never tried another mascara. I also loved BadGal Lash; it was almost perfect on me, but did smudge beneath my lower lash line.

It seems from the discussions that there are a good mix of ladies on here who want or don't want the mascara, so the trade threads should end up making a lot of us happy if we don't get what we hope for. I'm also very interested in knowing what the other "or" product is.
Wouldn't it be funny(not) if the alt to the They're Real is Great Lash? 
icon_eek.gif

Originally Posted by SupItsStephanie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sometimes I think I'm the only person in the world who genuinely likes Great Lash... I love that I can use a thousand coats without it getting flaky or clumpy.
You aren't--I'm a firm believer in Great Lash.  I switched to Lash Blast volume as my budget/daily wear mascara but I did use Great Lash for years with a lot of success.  I think mascara might be as dependent on individual chemistry as foundation or perfume, and also application technique--GL does require a light hand, but it layers nicely.  

As far as Benefit is concerned, I love Bad Gal Lash and am pretty meh about They're Real.  

Originally Posted by Meggpi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You aren't--I'm a firm believer in Great Lash.  I switched to Lash Blast volume as my budget/daily wear mascara but I did use Great Lash for years with a lot of success.  I think mascara might be as dependent on individual chemistry as foundation or perfume, and also application technique--GL does require a light hand, but it layers nicely.  

As far as Benefit is concerned, I love Bad Gal Lash and am pretty meh about They're Real.  
I think you're probably right.  I tried L'Oreal Carbon Black (in waterproof, even, 'cause I was having allergies) because I'd heard so many people saying "HG!!!"  Never had anything give me black circles as fast or as bad.  Two tries and in the trash it went.

Originally Posted by cskeiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I absolutely LOVED the body builder mascara! Nothing else I've tried gives me such length and volume so fast... I tire of taking time for multiple coats...In fact, I just

ordered the full-size from Birchbox with my 25% off 1 yr anniversary code and $20 points...(and a Balm concealer..) ..woo hoo total of $7.75 or so for $36 of product!
I LOVED it also!!! I ordered a full size with the 15% off Ipsy coupon! 

Quote:

Originally Posted by SupItsStephanie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You are not alone! The original Great Lash (none of the new wands or special editions) is my favorite mascara, and I've tried tons of different mascaras. I do not have thick lashes, so most mascaras just clump up on me and look awful and spider-ish as soon as I add a second coat. Great Lash lets me add 2 or 3 coats to build body and still look un-clumped.

"SNEAK PEEK NOVEMBER GLAM BAG #1: A rich chocolate hue makes November's Glam Bag Party Perfect! Plus, perfect brows OR perfect lashes with product #1..."

Originally Posted by eclipsechick08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

"SNEAK PEEK NOVEMBER GLAM BAG #1: A rich chocolate hue makes November's Glam Bag Party Perfect! Plus, perfect brows OR perfect lashes with product #1..."
So now we know we'll get something for brows OR lashes. That's helpful.

I'm actually super excited. I would love getting the mascara because I love getting nice things, but I've trying to figure out/find an eyebrow pencil too. I would actually prefer the latter because I now have about 2-3 unopened mascaras along with what I'm currently using, but I'm excited for this month.

Cannot...rejustify...getting two bags... ):

I hope I get the mascara but I'll still be okay with the brow stuff! Loving Ipsy again this month!

I found the brands & names for both the items in the sneak peek Ipsy just posted:

MASCARA: Benefit They're Real

BROW: Chelle's Eyebrow Defining Gel

I'm hoping for the mascara, but would be interested to see the brow definer too! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Here's to hoping to another fantastic bag! :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by Ching Chang /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I found the brands & names for both the items in the sneak peek Ipsy just posted:

MASCARA: Benefit They're Real

BROW: Chelle's Eyebrow Defining Gel

I'm hoping for the mascara, but would be interested to see the brow definer too! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Here's to hoping to another fantastic bag! :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Thanks for looking it up.

Hm.... if that's the case, I hope they're both sampler sizers with approximately equal values. : I would be happy to get both, but one brand is clearly more established than the other and that product's a little more expensive. If they're both full-sizes, there's probably going to be a lot of complaining about value lol

I think I know what the brow stuff is, but I don't know how to put a spoiler tag...  =(

Edit to say - yep! The one above is what I would have said.  But how do you do a spoiler tag anyway?

The full size chella one is $18 and they're real is $22 ...so I guess almost equal? I caved and got 2 bags this month so I hope I get two different ones

Originally Posted by Kyuu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks for looking it up.

Hm.... if that's the case, I hope they're both sampler sizers with approximately equal values. : I would be happy to get both, but one brand is clearly more established than the other and that product's a little more expensive. If they're both full-sizes, there's probably going to be a lot of complaining about value lol

Originally Posted by prachisrk /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The full size chella one is $18 and they're real is $22 ...so I guess almost equal? I caved and got 2 bags this month so I hope I get two different ones
Actually on the site and Sephora it's $23? $5 is a pretty big different tbh. You could buy a nail polish for that much... it's the value of a half-size nail polish sampler BB sends out it in its boxes. A lot of people are already saying they'd prefer the mascara (possibly due to it being mascara and possibly also having to do with the brand) so they're already treading a line between making people happy...

ipsy's been doing a great job. There was very little complaining last month aside from the color customization, but like... this could probably cause some strife.

Omigosh... I'm torn. I don't need more mascara, I'm pretty sure I have They're Real... or Bad Gal...? I dunno, I just know I have too many unopened ones!!! When I didn't have mascara I got Sephora's Lash Stash and then through out the year I kept getting more sample sizes!!! And now I have over 20 (I counted)... and I don't even use mascara that often... lollllllllllllll

And because of my FIFO compulsion I haven't opened any of them because I still have 2 open ones. D:

And on the other hand. I have one brow gel already and I don't think I need another one...

I want to see what else is in this bag already!!!!!! (NO PATIENCE)

ON TOP OF THAT:: I'm a November Baby (yay!!!) and my friend sent me a birthday present two weeks early WITH EXPLICIT DIRECTIONS TO NOT OPEN IT TILL MY BIRTHDAY!!! I HATE HIM!!!! AHHHHHH... This is killing me. I usually open my mail on my steps while heading to my room or in my car on my way to work because I literally cannot wait... lollllll

**edited** sorry forgot white out spoilers...

After seeing the either or I changed my mind and definitely hope I get the Mascara lol I do not like eyebrow gels

I don't need an eyebrow gel. Well, I really don't need any mascara, but I would actually use that. The gel would probably just sit there unused, for the most part. :/

Originally Posted by Kyuu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Actually on the site and Sephora it's $23? $5 is a pretty big different tbh. You could buy a nail polish for that much... it's the value of a half-size nail polish sampler BB sends out it in its boxes. A lot of people are already saying they'd prefer the mascara (possibly due to it being mascara and possibly also having to do with the brand) so they're already treading a line between making people happy...

ipsy's been doing a great job. There was very little complaining last month aside from the color customization, but like... this could probably cause some strife.
I hope they're the same, if only because I don't want to have to hear all the value complaining like we often get with BB. Is $5 that big of a deal, really? Especially when you're signing up for a gamble. Don't get me wrong, I've been on the short stick of things before and it's not the most thing, but at the same time, it evens out, there's the issue of perceived value, etc etc. Is it worth splitting hairs over at the end?

Latest posts

Back