Sample Society: December 2012

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a sample of the JI mascara a while back and it was honestly one of the worst mascaras I have ever used.  Of course, that's my opinion and I know that some people really like it, but it did absolutely nothing for my lashes.  There was no volume, no length, nothing.  I've tried tons of mascaras and there are 3 that stick out as being absolutely terrible for me - Jane Ireland, Maybelline Great Lash (the original cheap pink tube that everybody seems to love), and Ulta's lengthening one.  I'm supposed to be getting kit C, but my dashboard hasn't updated yet and I'm hoping that they change it just so I don't get this mascara again.

Originally Posted by brennn /img/forum/go_quote.gif

How do you guys feel about the variations in boxes?  For me, that the fact that the boxes were nearly identical for everyone was one of the factors that sold me on this box when I signed up 3 months ago.  There was variation in shades received for makeup items (i.e. stila smudge crayon) and the like, but the products were the same.

I'm very excited for my box this month (getting Kit C), but not sure how I feel about the change yet.
I dont mind the variations in the boxes. 

I have no idea how many subscribers Sample Society has, but I'm guessing its a lot easier to get 25,000 samples of a product than it is 100,000 samples of a product.  Maybe they have so many members now that sending out identical boxes to everyone is no longer feasable.   It's possible Sample Society needs to send out different boxes each month in order to send out the higher end and larger deluxe samples?

I feel like the beauty sample subscription services have been reading my mind this month.

I'm almost out of my Algenist eye cream.  This is my 2nd jar of it, and I honestly feel pretty neutral about it, and that it's not worth the price.  I was thinking I need to try something different, and was hoping to get one in one of my subs.  This Delaney Wellness eye cream in this month's SS box looks good.  I read about it on the Beauty Bar website, and it sounds a lot like Caudalie, which I like.  I had also been thinking I would like to try one of the Philosophy floral scented shower gels or one of the other floral "Grace" products, and lo and behold, Sample Society has samples this month.  Another thing I had been thinking I want to try is a clarifying shampoo, and it looks like Birchbox might have that covered.

I'm usually pretty pleased with what I get in my subs, but this looks like it could be my lucky month!

I'm getting Kit B, but my dashboard hasnt updated yet, and I dont see a Kit B posted here.  I hope I get the eye cream and Philosophy!

Also, I had recieved the Jane Iredale mascara in the Ice Black shade in a previous box, and I really do like it.  I used it almost daily, and that tube lasted me a good 2 months.  I would prefer to get something new to sample, but if I do get another JI mascara, I wont complain.  I can always use mascara, and its a good one!

Originally Posted by cocotears /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sorry. I made it bigger.

This box looks awesome to me!  The only thing I wouldn't use is the Murad Retinol product because I already use Retin-A, and another product containing retinoids is contraindicated with Retin-A.  I would love all the other samples though.  I had wanted to try the Vapour Organic Beauty gloss when Birchbox had them, but I didnt get one.  That's a full size lip gloss!  It must be why the other box (C?) has the extra item.

Me too! And mine said it shipped on 11/29!!

You know what I think is better about these variations than the Birchbox variations? There are only a few, and what is in them (thus far) is very even. BB should take some lessons.

Originally Posted by mks8372 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have kit B as well and am so anxious to see what is in it!!  (dashboard still showing November)  I don't think it will include the Jane Iredale mascara because I have already received that?  Though I wouldn't mind :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Mary-
I love ALL the Algenist products! I have received 4  total .5 oz containers in the last year from my samples.

Originally Posted by marybbryant /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I feel like the beauty sample subscription services have been reading my mind this month.

I'm almost out of my Algenist eye cream.  This is my 2nd jar of it, and I honestly feel pretty neutral about it, and that it's not worth the price.  I was thinking I need to try something different, and was hoping to get one in one of my subs.  This Delaney Wellness eye cream in this month's SS box looks good.  I read about it on the Beauty Bar website, and it sounds a lot like Caudalie, which I like.  I had also been thinking I would like to try one of the Philosophy floral scented shower gels or one of the other floral "Grace" products, and lo and behold, Sample Society has samples this month.  Another thing I had been thinking I want to try is a clarifying shampoo, and it looks like Birchbox might have that covered.

I'm usually pretty pleased with what I get in my subs, but this looks like it could be my lucky month!

I'm getting Kit B, but my dashboard hasnt updated yet, and I dont see a Kit B posted here.  I hope I get the eye cream and Philosophy!

Also, I had recieved the Jane Iredale mascara in the Ice Black shade in a previous box, and I really do like it.  I used it almost daily, and that tube lasted me a good 2 months.  I would prefer to get something new to sample, but if I do get another JI mascara, I wont complain.  I can always use mascara, and its a good one!

Im getting kit b but my dashboard hasn't updated.  I hope to get the JI mascara but since i've received it before I probably wont get it,.  Any one with kit B...has your dashboard updated?

I am getting Kit D.

Should be arriving tomorrow.

Here are the contents...

• dyw-009_small2a.jpg
  • Delaney Wellness Rejuvenating Eye Cream, Deluxe Sample

Love it? Hate it? Rate it

• Buy the full-size product » Shop the brand »
  • hsn-001_small2a.jpg
  • Hanskin Super Plus Perfect BB Cream SPF37 PA++ Bright (30g) SS PACKET

Love it? Hate it? Rate it

• Shop the brand »

Not sure how I feel about this Kit...

Anyone with Kit B have an updated dashboard yet? I'm feeling left out of the loop lol. Ladies, I see some interesting products in every variation!

My receipt says that I'm getting kit C, but my dashboard hasn't updated yet either.

I am getting kit B and my dashboard updated.

i'm looking forward to trying the Philosophy as a shower gel. Those 2 and or 3 in 1/s never work for my curly (frizz prone) hair.

Also excited (and a little scared haha) to try the Murad retinol and the BB cream although they are usually too light for me. 

I am getting kit B and my dashboard updated.
i'm looking forward to trying the Philosophy as a shower gel. Those 2 and or 3 in 1/s never work for my curly (frizz prone) hair. Also excited (and a little scared haha) to try the Murad retinol and the BB cream although they are usually too light for me. 
Our dashboards updated! Oooo..am excited for bb creams, lippie and the retinol product.. I've never tried retinol or retin based products, so I'm curious and happy to try it out. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Plus, I live for lippie stuff! And the philosophy, of course, but I prefer their foodie smelling ones lol.

Dude. Kit B is getting hooked up. I have Kit D. With the variation being a Stila Smudge stick sample instead of a lip gloss. I'm meh. About it this month. I hope the smudge stick is in a usable color for me. I don't use black eyeshadow, or blue or purple. Lol. Not very adventurous. I know. But I look good in neutral. I've perfected neutral. It would have been nice as a little christmas present from SS for them to send all of us a full size of something.

I am suppose to get kit B but my dashboard has not updated yet.  
icon_mad.gif
  LOL.

Dude. Kit B is getting hooked up. I have Kit D. With the variation being a Stila Smudge stick sample instead of a lip gloss. I'm meh. About it this month. I hope the smudge stick is in a usable color for me. I don't use black eyeshadow, or blue or purple. Lol. Not very adventurous. I know. But I look good in neutral. I've perfected neutral. It would have been nice as a little christmas present from SS for them to send all of us a full size of something.
I got the smudge stick in a box 2 or 3 months ago and I got a very neutral color, kind of a shimmery taupe. I don't remember, but I don't feel like anybody got anything crazy with that, I think it was all very neutral if not the same shade for everyone.

I am getting KIT C. 

I have to say I'm not all that impressed. This is my 4th box with SS and I keep waiting to be wowed month after month and it hasn't really happened yet. Since I'm in CA this box costs me $16.09 each month and that's more expensive than any other subs besides GB which I buy in 3month installments. This was the make or break it for me month and I've just realized this isn't for me. This month I'm not even looking forward to any thing I'm getting, it all seems geared toward a more older audience with 3 products on antiaging (eye cream, antiwrinkle BB cream, retinol concentrate for deep wrinkles). I was intrigued by the BB cream but then read that it is a whitening BB cream which I absolutely hate. Then there's the mascara which I have a ton of and am picky with formulas and the living grace shower gel that smells awful to me!  Ah well, it was fun while it lasted!
hand.gif

Just got my box delivered by UPS. I am so in love with the smell of the Lollia hand lotion.

I got my box today, here's what's in it:

Jane Iredale Longest Lash Mascara in Black Ice

Hanskin Premium Perfect Super Magic BB Cream SPF30 PA++: $11 for10ml , full size is $33 for 43.5g/1.5 oz

Murad Age Reform Time Release Retinol Concentrate

Delaney Wellness Rejuvenating Eye Cream

Philosophy Living Grace Shampoo, Bath & Shower Gel

Keeping the Philosophy...everything else I'm willing to trade, I don't have any trade thread tho

I received my box today, Kit A. I'm happy with it and I'll use everything except for one. Pic below, sorry about the glare, my phone is crappy.

Back