Sample Society: December 2012

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by MissLindaJean /img/forum/go_quote.gif

In my experience with BB creams, most have left me a bit dewy looking. For a matte look, I usually put a little powder on top to set.
Thanks!  I'll try that tomorrow :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  

Originally Posted by LisaLeah /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Just got my box Kit D...

The Stila is tiny (about half size). I got it in black.

The Murad Retinol is 3ml or 0.1 ounce
The Delaney eye cream is 10 ml or .33 ounce (nice size for an eye cream sample)
Hanskin BB Cream is 10ml or .33 ounce
Living Grace 30 ml or 1 ounce

Overall, not impressed with this box this month.

How is everyone else feeling about their boxes and SS in general?

This is my 2nd box...I am thinking of canceling.
Not happy either. I have been subbed for a few months and kept hoping next month would be better.. but it hasn't. This is the one sub where I haven't really liked any of the products enough to consider (or even afford) buying. It's also pretty pricey compared to other subs and it just hasn't been worth it in my opinion. My box this month has three antiaging prodcuts in it. I feel like there is ALWAYS something for antiaging every month! lol Those aren't products I'm looking for or really need right now so I just cancelled my sub. Although they did have excellent customer service and shipping was always quick!

"Comes in one versatileshade that blends in with the skin and will fit most skin tones between light and fairly light." thats a quote from the Hanskin BB cream. I just thought it was funny they use "versatile" and "blends" but then it says "will fit most skin tones between LIGHT and FAIRLY light" like...what?? I dont even know..basically. I'm not looking forward to receiving my box.. I'm 18, I don't need any anti-aging products. I definately don't need 3 of them....and I have REALLY bad genetic dark circles under my eyes, why would I want something thats made to take away puffiness, if anything, I need more puff. my undereyes always look amazing when I've been crying for 3 hours. so if you know a company that makes "Three Hour Cry; In a Bottle!!!" lemme know. lol and basically, theyre sending us all the leftovers from throughout the year...idk how I feel about that, most of the products have reviews that say "I received this in my *fill in month of the year* Sample Society box and..."

i got b and posted a pic..    and i didnt get the shade in the pic..  i think the one i got was better..  its 'hush' instead of sultry..   were there 3 boxes?  i didnt realize there was a b and c until i got on here.. how could you tell which one you got??

So I decided to cancel Sample Society just because I don't think it's worth $15, and I think I'm going to try a new sub. I currently have Birchbox, Glossybox, Beauty Army, and Ipsy. Does anyone have any suggestions for any other beauty boxes?

Originally Posted by katie danielle /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So I decided to cancel Sample Society just because I don't think it's worth $15, and I think I'm going to try a new sub. I currently have Birchbox, Glossybox, Beauty Army, and Ipsy. Does anyone have any suggestions for any other beauty boxes?
oh i wanted to tell you i biught the full size of the liwqid volume and it doesnt work on my hair at all..  i dont air dry and dont use a diffuser.. so i guess i am blowing the volume right our of my hair when i am blow drying., what a waste of 22$ :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by Dena Fletcher /img/forum/go_quote.gif

oh i wanted to tell you i biught the full size of the liwqid volume and it doesnt work on my hair at all..  i dont air dry and dont use a diffuser.. so i guess i am blowing the volume right our of my hair when i am blow drying., what a waste of 22$ :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Oh that's too bad! I don't use a blow dryer so once my hair fully air dries, I can "fluff" it up with my fingers and it gives great volume. I'm sorry it didn't work for you! I've also found that the Oscar Blandi texturizing spray that went out in Birchboxes works really good on my fine hair for adding volume -I spray it on after my hair is dry.

Oh that's too bad! I don't use a blow dryer so once my hair fully air dries, I can "fluff" it up with my fingers and it gives great volume. I'm sorry it didn't work for you! I've also found that the Oscar Blandi texturizing spray that went out in Birchboxes works really good on my find hair for adding volume -I spray it on after my hair is dry.
I'll second the Oscar Blandi spray! That is a great product. I like to use it on my roots. Even though my hair is curly, the length can weigh the top and it gives a nice boost. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Dena, have you tried aiming the nozzle at your roots when you blow dry? After flat ironing my hair, I'll wrap it around a brush and zap the roots a bit for some volume. Small bit of flexible hair spray and I'm usually good to go!

Originally Posted by MissLindaJean /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'll second the Oscar Blandi spray! That is a great product. I like to use it on my roots. Even though my hair is curly, the length can weigh the top and it gives a nice boost.
smile.gif

Dena, have you tried aiming the nozzle at your roots when you blow dry? After flat ironing my hair, I'll wrap it around a brush and zap the roots a bit for some volume. Small bit of flexible hair spray and I'm usually good to go!
It also works great for me on second-day hair. The only thing I don't like about it is the smell - it smells weird to me lol

It also works great for me on second-day hair. The only thing I don't like about it is the smell - it smells weird to me lol
the smell bothers me too. I actually received the spray in the fall allure bag and fell in love w/it and also got it in October's BB and I love what it does for my curly (frizz prone limp) hair but I hate the smell. Guess we can't have it all?? :) 

Smells like Lemon Pledge.

Lol, yes, the scent is a little off, but it's funny most people at work will say.."oh, you smell nice!" I'm not allowed to wear perfume, so it must be all the goop in my hair!

-_- /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Seriously? Ugh. I am a medium with yellow undertones that does not like looking like a ghost. Light & Fairly Light are not something I am. SMH.

Originally Posted by katlyne /img/forum/go_quote.gif

"Comes in one versatileshade that blends in with the skin and will fit most skin tones between light and fairly light." thats a quote from the Hanskin BB cream. I just thought it was funny they use "versatile" and "blends" but then it says "will fit most skin tones between LIGHT and FAIRLY light" like...what??"

Originally Posted by Marshie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

-_- /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Seriously? Ugh. I am a medium with yellow undertones that does not like looking like a ghost. Light & Fairly Light are not something I am. SMH.
haha. yeah. I just swatched it on my hand and I'm pretty pale. (not THE lightest, but second lightest in foundations) and this is too light(and kinda ashy looking) for me...and it smells terrible. kinda plastic-y in my opinion. the coverage is good though, it comes out thin and covers better than my medium coverage foundation :/ which, I can't really say is too good for a BB cream. but oh well. I'm cancelling so I can sub to Ipsy instead(I want more makeup, less skin care) I like the philosophy though, I wanted to try it. the Stila smudge crayon(I got a coppery brown) well....it doesnt smudge. I swatched it on my hand lightly, and that thing doesn't smudge out, it just kinda rubs off and I still have a faint line. no smudging there.

Just got my box Kit D...

I really like my box this month and I'm really happy with Sample Society in general, but I dont think any subscription service is a one size fits all type of thing.   If your not familiar with the other subscription services, you should go on You Tube to watch the unboxing videos from the various beauty subscription services and see if there might be one that you would like better. 

I'm happy with my box again this month!  I recieved Kit B.  I'm pretty impressed with the size of the eye cream sample.  Usually eye cream samples are pretty small but this one is quite generous.  I swatched the BB cream on my hand.  I have a light/medium complexion, and I was shocked at how light this was when I first tried it.  It did blend out quite nicely though, and I think I will be happy with using my sample, but I wont purchase the full size.   I love the Living Grace shower gel.  I cant wait to use it tomorrow morning!  The lip gloss I'm on the fence about.  I like the color a lot, but the texture is a little different than the thicker ones I'm used to.  I'll have to try wearing it for a day or two to decide if I like it or not.  Not sure what I'm going to do with the Murad Retinol.  I already use a prescription retinoid cream on my face, neck and hands.  I might try this one my chest.  At 52 years of age, there is no such thing as too much retinol!  It's also great for anyone who has acne and breakouts.

I'm thinking of purchasing a few of the Philosophy Living Grace products using this months code.  I have a lot of bath and body stuff right now, but I'm thinking I will ready for something new after the holidays. I love the Living Grace scent!

i actually let my hair air dry with it today and nada!! i need to figre out what to do with this big bottle i used 2x.. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  booooooooooooo i dont want to toss it, too pricey!

Just got my box Kit D...

I'm just not jumping-up-and-down excited about any of these boxes anymore. I got Box B with the Sultry gloss. I'm happy its full-size but I'm not crazy about the shade and it seemed to disappear quickly and didn't do anything for the winter dryness. Too bad, I was looking forward to trying Vapour Organics.  I liked the Modelco Gloss in red that I got from Birchbox much better and I thought I'd hate that one. I think I need a general box break but with annual subs I'm roped in for a while. I do like everything else and already have the Murad full-size so nice to get a travel-size.

I don't have anything against Sample Society, they are a great company and the samples are sized nicely, I just think it's geared towards idk people 25+, don't take offense, that's just the age I PERSONALLY think I will start using anti aging products, and I'm 4 years from there, once I get there, this might be a box for me, but right  now, it's not. I'm not sure if I will keep it for one more month, just to give it a shot, or just cancel right now :S

Back